The Student Room Group

Is this a waste of a choice?

I'm applying to Leeds to do an aeronautical engineering degree, and I have listed the standard aeronautical engineering course (MEng) and the aeronautical engineering course (BEng) with a year abroad on my UCAS application. I'm not sure if this is inadvisable or not. I have already listed and decided upon my other 3 choices, by the way. I have never applied to university before, and no one in my family has ever been to uni, so this is altogether new for me, and any advice is welcomed. Thanks.
Original post by halc96
I'm applying to Leeds to do an aeronautical engineering degree, and I have listed the standard aeronautical engineering course (MEng) and the aeronautical engineering course (BEng) with a year abroad on my UCAS application. I'm not sure if this is inadvisable or not. I have already listed and decided upon my other 3 choices, by the way. I have never applied to university before, and no one in my family has ever been to uni, so this is altogether new for me, and any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

It's usually possible to switch between options once you are there, so it is a bit of a waste, and departments will often offer you an alternative course anyway, if they like you but think you'd be better suited to a different one to the one you've applied for. If there is no other course elsewhere you are interested in, then put them both down, but I'd suggest giving them a call, explaining your situation and asking if you would automatically be considered for both if you just put one.
Reply 2
Original post by halc96

It's not inadvisable to apply for the MEng and BEng variants of the course at the same university, especially if it's your first choice (which I assume it is).

If you get the offer for both, then you can guarantee yourself a place on the BEng if you miss the MEng grades :h: some unis do this for you anyway though, so it's worth seeing what their standard procedure is - see if they take people onto the BEng if they're a grade off the MEng entry requirements before 'wasting' a choice.

Considered doing the same, but it said this in the offer anyway:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending