The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate Applicants 2016 Entry

Hi all!

I have applied to the MSc African Studies a week ago and it would be great to know who else has/plans to apply for UoE for a postgrad program. Who's got a reply yet, how are the chances to get in, etc.? Are you excited? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Marylou91
Hi all!

I have applied to the MSc African Studies a week ago and it would be great to know who else has/plans to apply for UoE for a postgrad program. Who's got a reply yet, how are the chances to get in, etc.? Are you excited? :smile:

Hi!

I applied for an LLM at the UoE. I sent off my application of November 6 and it was put on "ready for a decision" just three days ago, and they told me that i'll have to wait 6 weeks, at the moment seems like there is a pretty long wait ahead of us :smile:
Original post by Shekz
Hi!

I applied for an LLM at the UoE. I sent off my application of November 6 and it was put on "ready for a decision" just three days ago, and they told me that i'll have to wait 6 weeks, at the moment seems like there is a pretty long wait ahead of us :smile:

I'm planning to apply to an LLM at Edinburgh too although I haven't submitted my application yet. Which one are you applying to? I'm going for Medical Law and Ethics.

Which uni did you do your undergrad?
Reply 3
Original post by CheerShaker1
I'm planning to apply to an LLM at Edinburgh too although I haven't submitted my application yet. Which one are you applying to? I'm going for Medical Law and Ethics.

Which uni did you do your undergrad?

I'm going for International Law. For what regards my Undergraduate i'm expected to graduate in July in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from an Italian university, since i do not have a law background i'm not sure how strong my candidature can be.
Reply 4
Hi, I applied to MSc International Relations of the Middle East with Arabic, just couple of hours ago. So patiently waiting. Hope it won't be too long, even though I expect good 6 weeks at least, before any news, especially because of the Christmas break it might be longer?
I am just happy I got done with this before the holidays. So I can at least stop stressing about it ha ha.
I have an offer to study Animal Behaviour and Welfare. Extremely excited to get started. :biggrin: Would be up for meeting folk who will be in Edinburgh come September, so pop me a message if you want a chat! ^^
I have applied Operational research on December 24. I haven't received anything yet. My application status is still new.
I have applied Operational research on December 24. I haven't received anything yet. My application status is still new.
Reply 8
Original post by Kevin_Baltes

I applied couple of days before you and it shows the same for me. I believe they are in holidays till 10th or something like that. I feel like I read it somewhere but now can't find.
Original post by aipoissac
I applied couple of days before you and it shows the same for me. I believe they are in holidays till 10th or something like that. I feel like I read it somewhere but now can't find.

Officially, they work this week. But many uni staffs are still off, because the new semester starts next Monday.
Reply 10
Hello everybody.

I've just applied to for the MSc in integrative neuroscience, has anyone else?

Good luck to all.
Hello everyone!

I applied to the MSc in Applied Linguistics on 21st of December and I'm waiting on the decision now. I emailed the university today on whether the 6 weeks period was Christmas break inclusive or not. I'm kinda stressing out because I already have an offer from Lancaster that I have to accept no later than 29th of January and I don't think I will have an offer from Edinburgh by then. Does anybody know what happens if I accept the offer and just decide not to go for it after like 2 months? :/

Thanks and good luck to all of us!
Reply 12
Original post by Gilthoniel
Hello everyone!

I applied to the MSc in Applied Linguistics on 21st of December and I'm waiting on the decision now. I emailed the university today on whether the 6 weeks period was Christmas break inclusive or not. I'm kinda stressing out because I already have an offer from Lancaster that I have to accept no later than 29th of January and I don't think I will have an offer from Edinburgh by then. Does anybody know what happens if I accept the offer and just decide not to go for it after like 2 months? :/

Hello everyone!

Don't worry you can accept! Accept any offers as soon as they come in and then decide later which one you'll actually attend.
Original post by SGR_17
Don't worry you can accept! Accept any offers as soon as they come in and then decide later which one you'll actually attend.

Thank you very much! That's great news. But then why did Lancaster give me a time frame? The offer letter states that "Under UK law - the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 please note that you areentitled to cancel your place by providing written notice to the University. If you have accepted the offer via theMyLancaster admissions online portal, you must provide written notice of cancellation within 8 working days ofthe date you accepted the offer."

Is this just some law that we don't need to take into consideration? Sorry if I seem a little paranoid but since I'm an international student I'm kinda afraid of screwing things up and ending up indebted to the uni somehow! :biggrin:

Is this just some law that we don't need to take into consideration? Sorry if I seem a little paranoid but since I'm an international student I'm kinda afraid of screwing things up and ending up indebted to the uni somehow! :biggrin:

I wouldn't suggest just randomly accepting the offers from all universities and then canceling later. Some require a deposit, or have a lengthy cancellation process. Or as in this case it gives a time frame for cancellation.
What I would suggest to do, is to either call or email them and ask for the deadline extension. At the end of January is really too early to ask for definite answer from you anyway. Let them know that you need more time to make decision, and usually they are pretty okay with giving it to you.
I would definitely try that as the first thing before just accepting all and then canceling later.
Just so everyone knows I got my unconditional offer today. I had applied on 21st of December and I emailed them if it was possible to get an early decision. I don't know if it worked or if it was just a coincidence, but yeah. So it took 3 weeks for me. Good luck everyone!
Reply 16
Thank you very much! That's great news. But then why did Lancaster give me a time frame? The offer letter states that "Under UK law - the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 please note that you areentitled to cancel your place by providing written notice to the University. If you have accepted the offer via theMyLancaster admissions online portal, you must provide written notice of cancellation within 8 working days ofthe date you accepted the offer."

Please don't worry about that, at least with Edinburgh anyway. I've just received an unconditional offer (which I have just accepted) and for my course there is no deposit required. Furthermore it says that I have the right to cancel my place last minute if I wish to do so. Check to see if you can find those details in the terms of your offer, if that is stated then there is nothing wrong with going ahead and accepting the offer.
Just so everyone knows I got my unconditional offer today. I had applied on 21st of December and I emailed them if it was possible to get an early decision. I don't know if it worked or if it was just a coincidence, but yeah. So it took 3 weeks for me. Good luck everyone!

Congrats!! Great news, thats very smart what you did, I should try to haha
Original post by SGR_17
Please don't worry about that, at least with Edinburgh anyway. I've just received an unconditional offer (which I have just accepted) and for my course there is no deposit required. Furthermore it says that I have the right to cancel my place last minute if I wish to do so. Check to see if you can find those details in the terms of your offer, if that is stated then there is nothing wrong with going ahead and accepting the offer.

Congratulations! Yeah, I figured Edinburgh is pretty flexible with dates. I've accepted my offer, too, and I think if everything goes smoothly it will be final since Edinburgh was my first choice.

Original post by aipoissac
Congrats!! Great news, thats very smart what you did, I should try to haha

Haha, I don't believe they actually listened to me and did that though :smile: Hope you get an offer as soon as possible as well!

That is super fast!
My status is even still 'On Hold' now.
When will the start to check my files!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending