The Student Room Group

Do you think that the grade boundaries for my geography prelim were unfair?

50/60 for an A (this is 84%!!!)
40/60 for a B
30/60 for a C
under 25 the geography department are forcing these pupils to now do national 4 (and this is 42%!!!)

only 3 pupils in the year group got an A and this is shocking considering that there are 120 pupils doing geography. In my class only 3 (including me) got a B.
In my opinion this is absolutely ridiculous that an A is 84% as this would never be the case in the real exam. It is not like this for any other subjects. Also considering that the majority of the year group did terrible, then obviously the grade boundaries would be a lot (surely at least 15%) lower.
Very unfair also on the pupils who now have to do national 4.
Other people in my year group are also very displeased by this.

From your point of view do you believe that this is unfair? I am considering making a complaint.

EDIT: They changed it so now an A is 70%
(edited 8 years ago)
That does seem a bit unfair but schools often do this type of thing to encourage you to do better in the exam, it does seem drastic that they are forcing people to do national 4 over a prelim mark but I guess you might just have to go with it, I don't think you can use prelims for appeals any more and as long as you're not using your grade to get into another course, I wouldn't make a complaint, if you are concerned maybe you should speak to your geography teacher to see why this happened?
Reply 2
If this was my school I'd be livid.

Unacceptable.
How hard was the paper?
Reply 4
Unfortunately I don't know a lot about Scottish qualifications, but certainly at A Levels sometimes 84% is what is required for an A, it's not entirely out of the question - but as said above, it should depend on how difficult the paper was.
Original post by Junioh
How hard was the paper?

The real question is "how easy?"
Reply 6
Realistically anything above 75 or 80 should be an A, 70% seems too a bit too low for geography imo
That said, who cares about prelims :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending