The Student Room Group

Can i still get EMA during the first year of uni?

This may sound like a stupid question (and im sorry if it is) but would i still be able to get EMA during my first year of uni? Im in yr 13 at the moment, so i'll be going to uni in september. I got a letter from EMA last week telling me that if im continuing in education next year 07/08 i should re apply for EMA.
can anyone help?
Reply 1
when i was on ema i think they asked if i was continuing at my sixth form another year. I don't think you can get ema at university. read closely to what they say to see if it's a general 'continuing education' or if they specify going to college.
Reply 2
Ive had another look at the letter and it says:
"Our records show that you have been receiving Eduation Maintenance Allowance (EMA) payments in the 2006/07 year.
If you are continuing in learning from September 2007, you will need to re-apply for EMA"

the only mention of school/college is it says i can get an application pack from there.
Reply 3
I would doubt it, seeing as you will probably be getting a student loan.
Reply 4
Nah you can't. EMA is for Further Education only, not Higher Education which is degree level.
Reply 5
Flash6289
Nah you can't. EMA is for Further Education only, not Higher Education which is degree level.

ok, thanks
Reply 6
Im glad im not the only one that thought this when I got the letter! :smile:
No you can't. You should get a nice big bursary from the government though ;D
Reply 8
Yeah I've already looked into it and you cant get EMA in the first year of university.Its only for 6th form apparantly
Reply 9
Ive already applied for my grants and loans online though.Just go on www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk (or.com) and register.Then fill in the info and it automatically sends it away :smile:
Reply 10
ajking
Ive already applied for my grants and loans online though.Just go on www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk (or.com) and register.Then fill in the info and it automatically sends it away :smile:

hey :smile: im half way through applying for the student finance stuff but i just got a bit confused when i got a letter from EMA the other week,lol

Latest

Trending

Trending