The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Psychology!

I'm only in year 12 at the moment and i'm studying Psychology, Sociology, Politics and English Literature as my courses. I'm thinking about what Uni I would prefer to go to at the moment (although there's not rush, i'd like to know what to aim for :smile:)

I'm hoping to do an undergraduate degree in plain old Psychology and then a masters in a specific area of psychology which I still cannot decide and will make a knew thread to discuss and then finally do a doctorate in that area of psychology (and eventually lead to a doctorate and become a lecturer/professor)

In terms of style for a bachelors degree, however, I prefer more practical learning - experiments and research etc. I prefer courses with more exams than coursework.
I am aiming for Russell Group universities mainly: York, UCL , Exeter etc.

BUT i'm wondering what you all think would be the best university for my choices and preferences?

Side note: If anyone has any advice in regards to doing work experience for a Psychology degree or anything that they have done that they found really good to put on a personal statement, please feel free to say! Thank you so much.
I'm studying psychology at Cardiff University, and really enjoy it. There's an optional placement year (you either apply for a three year or four year course), which is with a professional psychologist and plenty of opportunity for psychology related volunteering through the university.

The course tends to have two pieces of coursework (one practical and one essay) and one exam with each module, in both first and second year. With three modules a term. BPS accredited, so all modules are compulsory until final year, where they are optional. The practicals in first year are not that exciting tbh, you are the participant, then based on the debrief (where you're given some background info, hypothesis and data set) you write up what happened and analyse the results. The practicals in second year are a bit more independent, where you are given a topic area and then and conduct the experiment yourself.

As for the city, I love it. It seems to be mostly students who live there, with a huge shopping area and everything is within a 20 minute walk. I've never needed to catch a taxi whilst being here!

When I was applying, York was my insurance. Which is also a lovely place, seemed to have very good resources in the department and quite contemporary research being conducted at the time. It's a bit further away from the town I think, it's more of a campus university. But both York and Cardiff seemed to have excellent Psychology departments and plenty of research opportunities.
Reply 2
Original post by Pixie-Bee
I'm studying psychology at Cardiff University, and really enjoy it. There's an optional placement year (you either apply for a three year or four year course), which is with a professional psychologist and plenty of opportunity for psychology related volunteering through the university.

The course tends to have two pieces of coursework (one practical and one essay) and one exam with each module, in both first and second year. With three modules a term. BPS accredited, so all modules are compulsory until final year, where they are optional. The practicals in first year are not that exciting tbh, you are the participant, then based on the debrief (where you're given some background info, hypothesis and data set) you write up what happened and analyse the results. The practicals in second year are a bit more independent, where you are given a topic area and then and conduct the experiment yourself.

As for the city, I love it. It seems to be mostly students who live there, with a huge shopping area and everything is within a 20 minute walk. I've never needed to catch a taxi whilst being here!

When I was applying, York was my insurance. Which is also a lovely place, seemed to have very good resources in the department and quite contemporary research being conducted at the time. It's a bit further away from the town I think, it's more of a campus university. But both York and Cardiff seemed to have excellent Psychology departments and plenty of research opportunities.

Hello! The 4 year course at Cardiff has def. piqued my curiosity!
I had a few questions about applying for Psychology at University to ask if it's okay with you? I am a mature student looking to return to studies. I'm currently trying to get into a 6th form college to take Psychology A Level so that I may study it at Uni. I completed 3 Sci + Maths in 2011. I was thinking of taking AS + A2 Psychology and do another course alongside it relating perhaps to H&SC to make myself a more desirable applicant. Can you suggest any courses that offer practical experience pertaining to psychology that I can apply for? At the moment I've had one college tell me I can't take a BTEC in H&SC + 1 A Level.
Reply 3
Hi there,

It will depend on lot on your grades where you end up picking. I think the rankings give a fair estimate on where offers the best course of study. I personally studied at the University of Nottingham which accepts AAA-AAB and I loved it there. I got in on AAB. They have a great department and professors who cover a wide range of fields to choose from for your final year project. It sounds like you may be considering a BSc over a BA as I assume the BA focuses less on research methods. If you expect AAA+ grades then I personally know people who have gone to Exeter and UCL who have nothing but praise for their departments and would be excellent choices.

As far as work experience goes, you may find it difficult to get any experience in directly related workplaces. However you can volunteer for care homes and such. I had a short volunteer placement at a care home for severely mentally and physically handicapped individuals and they are always in need of the help.

Good luck with your studies and you're welcome to shoot me a message if you have any questions about the psychology departments at Nottingham/UCL/Exeter, as I could ask my friends.

Quick Reply

Latest