The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tpos
LOL that's common but wasn't my point.

Wait, why do you feel awkward giving compliments

I dont know i just dislike it. Its the same when i have been complimented on e.g. my looks, eyebrows, clothes, results etc... I find it really annoying. I like being left alone by people and i like leaving people alone as to not distrub them.
[video="youtube;xq0JozCWC7w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq0JozCWC7w[/video]
As muslims, we need to try to find ways of commonalities between us and the societies we live in. There are attempts at raising awareness for alcoholism. We muslims can engage in these activities, online and offline , to promote society to move away from its abuses of alcohol.

We need to tell others, especially on TSR, that our religious views will remain - and they have a right to keep theirs. But our lives are so short. Why not, out of goodwill and a better society for both of us, do we not sit down , not be hostile to one another, and find the common good?
(edited 8 years ago)
This is a true story, which touches my heart.

Racism

Kitab Al Kafi - H 2542, CH 119, h 2
“The Messenger of Allah has said, Whoever practices racial discrimination or it is practiced for him has removed the collar of belief from his neck.’ ٢ ـ علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه ، عن ابن أبي عمير ، عن هشام بن سالم ودرست بن أبي منصور ، عن أبي عبد الله عليه*السلام قال قال رسول الله صلى*الله*عليه*وآل �� من تعصب أو تعصب له فقد خلع ربق الإيمان من عنقه.

[video="youtube;ZaEvyOCTNGc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaEvyOCTNGc[/video]

Explanation:

In 1979, after the islamic revolution(which deposed of the Shah's and which then had Imam Khomeini r.a as the religious leader), Iran, which was then one of the biggest suppliers of Oil to the then racist Apartheid in South Africa, decided to cut-off its supplies to south africa, and opposed the racism there. Whilst we had people here in our own country calling Nelsen Mandela a 'terrorist' - priministers and government officials, a muslim country said no, forget losing profit and money, Islam does not tolerate or support racism. Rasullah s.a.w would never tolerate apartheid.

In 1994, after Mandela's emphatic victory, Iran restored all ties with South Africa again. When the world, the US, Britain, and everyone else were with the south-african apartheid regime in south africa, it was the muslims who Mandela praised, who stood by him and for him. He came to Iran and layed a wreath on Imam Khomeini r.a's tomb.

The hero Nelson Mandela, was not a muslim. Nor did he belong to any sect - he was not shia nor sunni to the best of our knowledge. Indeed, if anyone at that time tried to support mandela, there would be no geopolitical benefit, no economic benefit - cutting oil was infact a loss.

Rather it reminds us, what is in this life is temporary. We can not take it with us. What is with Allah surely remains forever.

I have family members who are mixed race, and among their races are black. Some of the closest people to me are 'black'. I swell with such happiness to read about things like this. I myself have a 'black' great grand mother.

Islam was the religion which took Hadrath Bilal r.a from the depths of slavery and placed him high upon the buildings, to give out and read out Adhan.

No racism is to be tolerated in anyway in our religion. Whether you are a persian, or an arab, or a somali, or an indian or a mexican, or 'jewish' by race, or any other race. You are human beings.
Reply 585
Original post by Tawheed
As muslims, we need to try to find ways of commonalities between us and the societies we live in. There are attempts at raising awareness for alcoholism. We muslims can engage in these activities, online and offline , to promote society to move away from its abuses of alcohol.

We need to tell others, especially on TSR, that our religious views will remain - and they have a right to keep theirs. But our lives are so short. Why not, out of goodwill and a better society for both of us, do we not sit down , not be hostile to one another, and find the common good?

That's easier said than done on TSR.
Level of ignorance is too high lol
Reply 586
Original post by Tawheed

How would that work on tsr?
Original post by Tpos
How would that work on tsr?

Original post by HAnwar
That's easier said than done on TSR.
Level of ignorance is too high lol

I have some ideas:

1. Find points of unity in societal issues - but also issues deeply rooted in islam. We muslims do not like the effects of alcohol in society, we believe alcohols benefits are far outweighed by its harm. So why not we have dialouge with non-muslims about this ? Engage with them with regards to proposals to reform and reduce the alcohol problem. This also goes for racism , among many other issues.

2. Get involved with UK Politics and maybe even make an islamic party of our own - with members of all faiths invited if they see the islamic perception as a just one. TSR allows us to create political parties, if we have enough members. On here, we can voice our views on poverty, on capitalism, on inequality.

We need to allow non-muslims to understand Islam properly, and we need to show them we too, want to understand them properly. Are they merely evil people who say 'I don't want to believe in God ' or do they (atleast feel) they have rational reasons? Talk to them and say Islam also advocates a path of rationality, of not believing without evidence. Whether they agree with our style or method of rationality, or if they scorn, we need to start building bridges between us.

We should not compromise our beliefs. Muslims will probably never do it. But gaining as much common ground as possible i think we should do in as many ways as possible.

Show to them we do not shy from politics, we are not Daesh, we do not want to kill them or stop democracy or freedom - rather, we wish to participate in it and contribute to society, and use our platform for better good.

So maybe when they see a muslim walking on the otherside of the road, or ahead of them, and they get that 3 second look , they don't feel as though he or she resents them, considers them 'kaffirs' who will 'go to hell', resents their politics and resents their society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 588
Original post by Tawheed
I have some ideas:

1. Find points of unity in societal issues - but also issues deeply rooted in islam. We muslims do not like the effects of alcohol in society, we believe alcohols benefits are far outweighed by its harm. So why not we have dialouge with non-muslims about this ? Engage with them with regards to proposals to reform and reduce the alcohol problem. This also goes for racism , among many other issues.

2. Get involved with UK Politics and maybe even make an islamic party of our own - with members of all faiths invited if they see the islamic perception as a just one. TSR allows us to create political parties, if we have enough members. On here, we can voice our views on poverty, on capitalism, on inequality.

We need to allow non-muslims to understand Islam properly, and we need to show them we too, want to understand them properly. Are they merely evil people who say 'I don't want to believe in God ' or do they (atleast feel) they have rational reasons? Talk to them and say Islam also advocates a path of rationality, of not believing without evidence. Whether they agree with our style or method of rationality, or if they scorn, we need to start building bridges between us.

We should not compromise our beliefs. Muslims will probably never do it. But gaining as much common ground as possible i think we should do in as many ways as possible.

Show to them we do not shy from politics, we are not Daesh, we do not want to kill them or stop democracy or freedom - rather, we wish to participate in it and contribute to society, and use our platform for better good.

So maybe when they see a muslim walking on the otherside of the road, or ahead of them, and they get that 3 second look , they don't feel as though he or she resents them, considers them 'kaffirs' who will 'go to hell', resents their politics and resents their society.

I get your idea, but people on TSR aren't mature enough to listen and understand. They're too stubborn to change their views.

Your own thread got attacked on the first page lol

Plus non Muslims on here wouldn't take me seriously. I've already spoken out in support of sharia and most of them hate me lol :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
tawheed
X
I'm not gna lie, I have no interest in such campaigns. I prefer the natural way doing things. I don't have anything against any non Muslim just cuz they're a non Muslim but I'm not gna keep emphasising that or make threads about it. I'd rather just naturally join in with convos and such stuff. Not that I'm against your way, but it's just not my thing.
I'll try to correct some misconceptions but I'll generally continue to ignore the bigots cuz ain't no body got time for dat!
(edited 8 years ago)
Been reading this book recently, would recommend

http://www.kalamullah.com/spiritual-disease.html
Middle east nations never learn.
Another problem being stirred up by the west.
Israel are laughing at the muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those who have been or are interested in following the debate on Mawlid between Imran Ibn Mansur aka Dawah Man and Imam Muhammed Asim Hussain; this was the talk from Imam Hussain in Bradford on Monday in refutation of Dawah Man.

[video="youtube;NjTcR7VGKy8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NjTcR7VGKy8&app=desktop[/video]
Original post by Tawheed
I have some ideas:

Would this is include the issue of homophobia, or will this be an issue that will not be addressed?
Original post by HAnwar
x

Some people no doubt are very hostile, i can understand where you're coming from.

Original post by Tpos
x

I completely understand your point of view sister, and i think it's also another reasonable alternative to the issue.

I personally believe that it's like having a family argument, and you and say a sibling are on a stalemate, and you know it's not your fault - but you still go out and soften things with them otherwise the stalemate will only last.

I do agree though, there are challenges, many will not be receptive to us.
Original post by The Epicurean
Would this is include the issue of homophobia, or will this be an issue that will not be addressed?

The idea is to find points of commonalities. Homosexuality is forbidden in terms of acting it out by practise publically. A muslim can't change that it this is the reality. I'm sure on another thread an explanation can be given and the finer points discussed, but the end goal will never be to ask of the muslims to reinvent their religion and make it a non-sin. It's pretty much a consensus among sunni's and shia's

I think the idea is not for either party to let-go of their beliefs (unless they want to ) , it's like politics. Countries have their own soverign identity, but cooperate with those that they may disagree with one issues - rather than being hostile.

Is there anything in paticular about islam you feel is positive - or you can relate to?
(edited 8 years ago)
A culture clash question ?

Is it a fard on say an uncle to provide and assist with their nephews ? For example many moons ago my cousins in Pakistan used to ask my dad for like mobiles etc, then I said to my dad why you need to keep sending them stuff you need to consider your self, and he said its a mamu's (uncle mums brother) fard ?

Even if your not an uncle, even as a son in law some will say its your fard to help you mother/farther in laws ? Is it ? I would have thought its parents who fard it is to help their own children, and vice versa. So where does everyone come into it ?
Reply 597
Original post by redleader1
A culture clash question ?

Is it a fard on say an uncle to provide and assist with their nephews ? For example many moons ago my cousins in Pakistan used to ask my dad for like mobiles etc, then I said to my dad why you need to keep sending them stuff you need to consider your self, and he said its a mamu's (uncle mums brother) fard ?

Even if your not an uncle, even as a son in law some will say its your fard to help you mother/farther in laws ? Is it ? I would have thought its parents who fard it is to help their own children, and vice versa. So where does everyone come into it ?

It is fard to help out your in laws, but not fard to provide for them. I.e as a member of the family it is your duty to help out as and when needed but (afaik) there's nothing to specific e.g you must give some of your earnings or anything like that.

As for the uncle, the woman has a right over her which states that her mahram should provide for her so in that sense to give to your sister's children is good. And to give gifts to your family members is good anyway. But ***I think*** if the woman has another mahram looking after her - father, husband then she should not expect things off others. For example, I would ask my dad for stuff before my brother because I am my dad's responsibility. I emphasise on this being my opinion, which I'm not completely sure holds against the proper rules.
This is an amazing video on the Holy Quran , tbh, every non-muslim AND muslim should watch this:

[video="youtube;3Y2Or0LlO6g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2Or0LlO6g[/video]
Besieged by Syrian regime forces and Hezbollah fighters for over 170 days, people in Madaya, Syria are starving to death.
"There are no more cats or dogs alive in the town. Even tree leaves that we have been eating have become scarce," one resident told Al Jazeera.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/weakened-cold-starving-death-syrian-town-160107055547145.html

Edit, update:http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/syrian-government-aid-enter-starving-town-160107145500227.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending