The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;qEULPwaaOfc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEULPwaaOfc[/video]
Original post by Boondock Saint

This is a mosque in Africa. Its simplicity reminded me of the first days of Islam.

Subhanallah! What a beautiful picture.
[video="youtube;uh42mJ-24Qw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh42mJ-24Qw[/video]

(No music in this)

Beautiful, dedicated to the three members of the Ahlulbayt a.s - Ali ibn Abi Talib, His son Hasan Ibn Ali, and Hussein Ibn Ali a.s.

Unmatched, unparalleled, preservers of his Sunnah!
(edited 8 years ago)
FB_IMG_1454862223115.jpg
Asalaamu alaykum everyone, first time posting here and just want to ask a question.

Are any of you guys getting fed up with how many anti-Islam threads/post there are on TSR? I almost always find one every day and it's so frustrating constantly having to correct their false assumptions on various parts they cherry pick about the religion.

It seems it's in high concentration on TSR than any other social media site as everyone here pretty much has anonymous accounts, so people can say what they like.

Oh well, inshAllah things improve on here, its getting more toxic by the day
Reply 1585
Original post by mikeoxlong000
Asalaamu alaykum everyone, first time posting here and just want to ask a question.

Are any of you guys getting fed up with how many anti-Islam threads/post there are on TSR? I almost always find one every day and it's so frustrating constantly having to correct their false assumptions on various parts they cherry pick about the religion.

It seems it's in high concentration on TSR than any other social media site as everyone here pretty much has anonymous accounts, so people can say what they like.

Wa alaykum salaam.

It's been like this for years, I doubt it's getting worse. Most new users attempt to correct people and then they learn there's no point so don't bother. It becomes less frustrating when you remember that a lot of the time posters want to win arguments not actually understand and accept a different point of view. This allows you to stop wasting your time instead of thinking your post will actually make a difference.
Continue praying even when you don’t feel like it. Raise your hands up in du'a even when you feel you have no energy left, emotionally or spiritually!
Push yourself to open the mushaf [Quran] even though you feel helpless, dejected, and broken.
For indeed, little drops of water make a mighty ocean. These small efforts will increase your good deeds in unimaginable ways. It’s these small efforts that will help remove the rust from your heart, erase your sins, and strengthen your fight against the shaytan!

So, keep going...:h:

-Bilal Philips
Reply 1587
Salam, hope everyone's well :smile:

“O Allāh, make me content with what you have provided me, send blessings for me therein, and place for me every absent thing with something better.” [Bukhari]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1588
“O Allāh, I seek refuge with You from knowledge which does not bring benefit and from a heart which is not fearful and from a self which is not content and from a supplication which is not answered.” [Muslim]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asalaamu alaikum all,

I hope you're all well. I really need some advice. Recently, the doctor have noticed something suspicious in my mother's throat and she's having an operation to get samples and see if it's cancer sometime this week in shaa Allah. Please make dua everything turns out to be OK.

I'm just so worried that they are going to say it's cancer and it doesn't help that when I was very young my father died of cancer. I know it's the Qadar of Allah (swt) I'm so worried that I can't stop crying everytime I think about it. It's affecting my iman as well as my emotional state.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jazakallahu khairan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikeoxlong000

Original post by Tpos
Wa alaykum salaam.

It's been like this for years, I doubt it's getting worse. Most new users attempt to correct people and then they learn there's no point so don't bother. It becomes less frustrating when you remember that a lot of the time posters want to win arguments not actually understand and accept a different point of view. This allows you to stop wasting your time instead of thinking your post will actually make a difference.

Wa alaykum assalaam. Tpos said it perfectly in her post. It really has been like this for many years. It seems some of them just argue for the sake of being "right" on the internet and gaining positive reputation gems next to their name. I ignore almost all of the anti-TSR threads as even reddit has a more mature audience when people post in /r/Islam and ask questions.

I'd rather spend my time doing something worthwhile than trying to prove my deen to somebody hence why I mainly use TSR for posting here in the ISOC with brothers and sisters. :smile:
Original post by sarah1239
Asalaamu alaikum all,

I hope you're all well. I really need some advice. Recently, the doctor have noticed something suspicious in my mother's throat and she's having an operation to get samples and see if it's cancer sometime this week in shaa Allah. Please make dua everything turns out to be OK.

I'm just so worried that they are going to say it's cancer and it doesn't help that when I was very young my father died of cancer. I know it's the Qadar of Allah (swt) I'm so worried that I can't stop crying everytime I think about it. It's affecting my iman as well as my emotional state.

Jazakallahu khairan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wa'alaykumasalaam

I am sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how hard a time this is for you and your family. I guess we all have our tests in life which push us. Some people get tests in the form of wealth, which many go on to fail, some get illness which is test for both them and their family. At the moment I would try to remain calm, nothing is conclusive yet because they haven't done tests. If you have anyone close to talk to in real life, maybe a cousin or a good friend, then I recommend speaking to them too. It'll just help to get your worries out etc... And we're always here if you do need help or people to talk to.

Insha'Allah the test will come out fine though and it'll be fine. We will all pray for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfortunately many people have this idea that any Tom, Dick and Harry, can come along and make up an 'interpretation'.
Original post by Inve
@HAnwar great posts.

Came across this article about Maajid Nawaz; it's quite lengthy but takes a critical look at the fundamental claims for his stance on "Islamism" amongst other things including how the personal experiences related in his book are baseless or fabricated according to interviews from Nawaz' own family members.

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/self-invention-maajid-nawaz-fact-and-fiction-life-counter-terror-celebrity#.VrQTiHGYCT8.twitter

Ah I read this a few days ago. He's really hyped up his whole life. It's like when a kid moves to a new school and they tell everyone about how they used to be solid and win fights in their old one. When in reality they had the fighting capabilities of a kitten.

Here's one of his new mates.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inve
@HAnwar great posts.

Came across this article about Maajid Nawaz; it's quite lengthy but takes a critical look at the fundamental claims for his stance on "Islamism" amongst other things including how the personal experiences related in his book are baseless or fabricated according to interviews from Nawaz' own family members.

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/self-invention-maajid-nawaz-fact-and-fiction-life-counter-terror-celebrity#.VrQTiHGYCT8.twitter

Have you read ed Husain's book? I think he's also affiliated with the qulliam foundation. I kind of believe his back story but I think he might be a fake too.
Original post by sarah1239
Asalaamu alaikum all,

Jazakallahu khairan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Walaykumsalam,

Firstly, condolences with regards to losing your father at such young age. One can't imagine what that must have been like, and having had a close cousin of mine lose his father to cancer at a young age, i've seen how difficult it has been for them.

I will definitely make dua's for your mother. I can understand the feeling of uncertainty is probably the thing most worrying you right now.

With regards to Cancer, it is no longer a totally incurable condition. I pray to Allah swt that it is not cancer, but if it is, there can still be hope. It may be benign, which means it won't spread and it only really effects the area it is in and this will rarely ever cause mortality.

It may be the one that spreads, but perhaps it's in the early stages, and the doctor just wants to be careful and make sure they can deal with it while it's still early, before it gets to a stage where it is far more difficult to cure.

So cancer in itself, despite being incredibly worrying, is not without hope or chance of a cure, depending on the type and progression. And even if it had progressed, there is still much they can do - but this again is dependent on factors.

Brother IdeasforLife has given really good advise, do you have any siblings you can talk this through? Are they older and perhaps know as well or have similar concerns? Is there anyone else you can confidentially talk this through with?

I would recommend MacMillan support, i think it is an amazing initiative: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/index.html

It's for anyone who had cancer or even knows someone who has had cancer, or has worries about it.

Here's their free phone number: 0808 808 00 00

And here's some information: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/index.html#162023

If you are feeling overwhelmed, call them and maybe have a discussion with them.

In terms of the Imaan, i'm also on the same path of dealing with trials and difficulties, and so i have to really give this advice to myself and apply it myself first, before giving it to others, but:

It is easy to say one should have imaan , but in difficult times our brains have a mind of their own. Our body, our mentality, our sleeping, our eating is wayward and it's just so difficult to be ourselves.

I really recommend meditation, deep breathing meditation where you do not think of anything else, but only follow your breaths. It may seem like something silly or that won't work, but it has really been proven to help. It won't take the pain away , nor the worry, nor change anything, but it will allow you to better deal with your situation.

Try to also look at people suffering, or who have suffered and reflect on it, i feel this helps ground me and put a perspective on things, that while my own suffering is not to be belittled and important, i am not alone.

Have trust and faith in Allah swt. We come from Allah , and we will return to him. We are not alone, and he is closer to us than our own jugular veins. He knows the difficulties we feel, he knows the pain we feel, he knows the uncertainty, he created us with these. Complain and cry to him, be completely open, tell him about all your worries, your insecurities, tell him that it's even perhaps effecting your imaan. Life is a test, and this is how we are trialed.

Quran: "And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided."

Quran:" Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned:"

When going through difficult times, one Prophet in paticular whose life and story helps me in some way is Prophet Ayyub a.s.

[video="youtube;rJaxtp3wXLk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJaxtp3wXLk[/video]

If you want or need someone to talk to, or want to update us on what happens, we are always here.

I pray for yourself and your mother, what i am writing won't really change anything nor your situation nor how you feel, but it's designed to try and give you a way for you to try to find a way to better deal with this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IdeasForLife
Ah I read this a few days ago. He's really hyped up his whole life. It's like when a kid moves to a new school and they tell everyone about how they used to be solid and win fights in their old one. When in reality they had the fighting capabilities of a kitten.

Here's one of his new mates.

Spoiler

Indeed. In that one article alone lots of people seem to give opposing accounts of what he said happened. I find it unsurprising that he would embellish his story. I saw Adam Deen on last weeks episode of The Big Questions and his style and argument was strikingly similar to that of Nawaz with his views being along the same lines. He works in some sort of 'outreach' role at the Quilliam Foundation.
Syria: Assad regime kills so many detainees it amounts to 'extermination' of civilian population,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-assad-regime-kills-so-many-detainees-it-amounts-to-extermination-of-civilian-population-un-a6860876.html

May Allah give filth like Assad, Khamenei and all his other allies, what they deserve for their evil.
Can someone tell me what the fard of wuzu are and what I can do ? At work we have a pray room however no wudu area so I was wondering if we can do it without washing the feet because it's easy to wash the arms etc in the toilets but it's awkward if you put your foot in the sink

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1599
Original post by redleader1
Can someone tell me what the fard of wuzu are and what I can do ? At work we have a pray room however no wudu area so I was wondering if we can do it without washing the feet because it's easy to wash the arms etc in the toilets but it's awkward if you put your foot in the sink

Posted from TSR Mobile

All 4 madhabs state that washing the feet is one of the fara'id of wudhu.
You can do masah over your socks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending