The Student Room Group

Is it possible to bulk without gaining facial fat?

After my cut I might do a clean bulk. Is it possible to put on 15-20lbs of muscle without gaining facial fat?

Many bodybuilders weigh a lot and are of low bf%, many movie stars (e.g. Henry Cavill) can bulk up a lot without their chiseled face gaining fat yet it seems a lot of people on fitness forums bulk up yet complain about gaining facial fat.
Drugs would be the reason how they can do that.

You put down fat where you're genetics determine. For me, it's mainly hips, but also face.
I always gain a bit of fat under my chin and get a bit of a double chin at my chubbiest, but my jawline always stays put as I hardly gain fat on my face. All genetic predisposition to gaining fat more readily in certain areas.
Slow buik up and you get to minimize the amount. No facial fat only when you got godly genetics
Just like you cannot spot reduce fat, I'm afraid you cannot prevent it appearing in certain parts of your body.
Reply 5
'Bulking' is a myth. In today's world of broscience you have 2 common types of people giving the same advice:

1 - People on steroids, passing their gains off as natural
2 - People that listen to the people on steroids, think they're natural and pass off their 2nd hand advice as their own

All calories are not equal. If you eat a surplus of fatty foods, processed foods and supplements you will put on fat and become unhealthy.

You do not need to put on any fat to bulk up, just do not eat more calories than you burn off. If you eat less calories you will lose weight, if you eat the right amount you'll build muscle and if you eat too many you'll put on fat.

Eat clean and do not set your expectations based on all these people on steroids - celebrities, YouTubers etc. Just be healthy and happy with who you are.
Ask a gym trainer, they should know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Movie stars are pretty much selected for their chiselled faces.
I've found that since my muscles have started to get bigger since upping my efforts at the gym, the shape of my face has slowly started to change, but not getting bigger, just my jawline is becoming more noticeable.
Reply 9
Original post by Steve82
'Bulking' is a myth. In today's world of broscience you have 2 common types of people giving the same advice:

2 - People that listen to the people on steroids, think they're natural and pass off their 2nd hand advice as their own

All calories are not equal. If you eat a surplus of fatty foods, processed foods and supplements you will put on fat and become unhealthy.

You do not need to put on any fat to bulk up, just do not eat more calories than you burn off. If you eat less calories you will lose weight, if you eat the right amount you'll build muscle and if you eat too many you'll put on fat.

Eat clean and do not set your expectations based on all these people on steroids - celebrities, YouTubers etc. Just be healthy and happy with who you are.

This is just wrong.

To put on weight, and therefore muscle, you need to eat in a caloric surplus. Complete beginners/returning from extremely long breaks are exceptions to this rule, who can recomp and build muscle at maintenance, however this is not a sustainable method of gaining muscle.

Ultimately all calories are equal for gaining and losing weight. Controlling one's weight is simply calories in vs calories out. This does not make all calories and foods equally healthy, because they are not, however I could eat 1500 cals of chocolate a day yet I would still lose weight, despite it being bad for you.

It is impossible to gain muscle without gaining fat in the long run, however the rate at which fat will be gained can be limited but only having a small calorie surplus e.g. 200. This would however lead to slower muscle growth and strength gains, in theory, than eating in a 500 calorie surplus, however it would keep you leaner.
Original post by hjf222
This is just wrong.

To put on weight, and therefore muscle, you need to eat in a caloric surplus. Complete beginners/returning from extremely long breaks are exceptions to this rule, who can recomp and build muscle at maintenance, however this is not a sustainable method of gaining muscle.

Ultimately all calories are equal for gaining and losing weight. Controlling one's weight is simply calories in vs calories out. This does not make all calories and foods equally healthy, because they are not, however I could eat 1500 cals of chocolate a day yet I would still lose weight, despite it being bad for you.

It is impossible to gain muscle without gaining fat in the long run, however the rate at which fat will be gained can be limited but only having a small calorie surplus e.g. 200. This would however lead to slower muscle growth and strength gains, in theory, than eating in a 500 calorie surplus, however it would keep you leaner.

So in your argument eating 3,000 daily calories of choclate will provide an equal muscle building environment for your body as eating a high protein, lean, healthy, nutritent rich diet consisting of 3,000 daily calories.
Original post by Steve82

Oh god...

Original post by Steve82
So in your argument eating 3,000 daily calories of choclate will provide an equal muscle building environment for your body as eating a high protein, lean, healthy, nutritent rich diet consisting of 3,000 daily calories.

Chocolate doesn't have nutrition though. Fat and protein from a big ass pizza is fat and protein anyway. I don't eat clean whatsoever, but it really doesn't matter where my protein comes from. **** a healthy diet, I eat vegetables and protein from anywhere and it works very well for everyone. In terms of fat gain, a calorie is calorie.
Reply 12
Original post by Steve82

No. Where did I say that?

Original post by hjf222
This does not make all calories and foods equally healthy, because they are not, however I could eat 1500 cals of chocolate a day yet I would still lose weight, despite it being bad for you.

I pretty obviously said that eating an all chocolate diet is neither healthy nor the optimum way of building muscle. However, in the terms of purely gaining weight, 3000 cal of chocolate is going to give you the same weight gain as 3000 'clean' calories.

Even then, for 90% of lifters the only thing that affects muscle growth is the protein intake. If you didn't care at all about your health, hitting your protein goal within 3000 calories of chocolate, you will see the same muscle growth as you would eating a clean diet. Of course, this won't necessarily be the case for experienced lifters, who already make slow progress and choose to optimise it through tracking macros.

Quick Reply

Latest