The Student Room Group

TSR Xbox Society

Scroll to see replies

I will! My reputation isn't very good, mostly because I shot my own team on gears of war. It wasn't a great day.....
Andy Pandy!
You can get banned for a few reasons:

Countless amounts of Complaints Filed against you, for being abusive and flaming other players... (pah)

Having an Xbox 360 that has the illegal upgraded firmware (or chipped) that lets you play copied games, they just ban you for life, well the Serial number of the box.

Also something to do with 'hacking'...

And just being a general Pricko..

:biggrin:

Seems difficult to do, then. Being a general pricko? :cool: :biggrin: How does one go about doing that, then?

Banned for life? Harsh. Still I suppose if you do something deliberately dodgy like playing around with serial numbers or hacking the thing, you know what's gonna come to you.

Andy Pandy!
Also, with the HDD, it says 20GB memory, but it only has like 13.5gb - 14.0gb..

Is that some sort of system config on there taking that space?!
8 Hours Ago 14:41

False advertising? :confused: :hmmm:

Andy Pandy!
The dreaded 'red ring of death' is the worse.. And the over-heating. Like i said, if you do get an xbox, make sure you keep fluff and dust, dog hair etc away from it, and lay it flat, not on it's side.. On it's side can affect the disc drive, and mess it up (apparently). Keep it in a good place where the hot air can escape, and keep itself ventilated as well. Don't cover the intakes and air out parts..

Seems to be quite a high maintainence machine, in some respects. All I wanted to do is plug in and play, not sure if it's all that easy to do on a 360. And what's this about discs being forever 'unplayable' when the console is running a disc and moved. Hmm.... :confused:

Sorry for the long post.
Indeed, do NOT move the console when there is a game inside! My mate made this mistake and ended up with a badly scratched disc (badly enough so it won't work) and a console that likes to crash every now and again (usually once in each sitting).

But yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the technical problems, as long as you look after the thing (i.e. keep it flat and well circulated, and don't pick it up when it's on) it should be fine. I've had mine since launch and not had any real problems with it!!

EDIT: I think I used a fair few brackets in that post, lol.
Reply 183
The 360 poons all. :cool:
Flash6289
Indeed, do NOT move the console when there is a game inside! My mate made this mistake and ended up with a badly scratched disc (badly enough so it won't work) and a console that likes to crash every now and again (usually once in each sitting).

But yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the technical problems, as long as you look after the thing (i.e. keep it flat and well circulated, and don't pick it up when it's on) it should be fine. I've had mine since launch and not had any real problems with it!!

EDIT: I think I used a fair few brackets in that post, lol.

Sounds nasty. Thanks for the information. It's interesting to hear someone saying the counter to what a lot of other people have been saying; I don't doubt that there are a lot of people whose machines work fine, but you hear a few horror stories, as well. It's worrying to read a lot of the reviews on Amazon and Play, for instance, where you get people saying they took it straight out of the box and instantly got the red rings show up. Scare stories, perhaps, and the majority of users probably don't get that but, even still, you don't want pot luck when you're paying over 200 quid for a machine. But, on the other hand, I'm sure there are just as many owners who've looked after the console perfectly well and haven't experienced any real problems with it, so I guess these technical concerns aren't quite the only side to the story.
sorry but i will never buy a Fifa game :biggrin: (unless Pro Evo becomes crap :wink:)...infact i try not to get EA games if possible (they milk the **** out of everything so much that its disgusting).

personally i was thinking: PES7, Gears of War, Tekken/DOA/Mortal Kombat (?), Oblivian and wasnt sure on driving game :p:
Reply 186
abrp
sorry but i will never buy a Fifa game :biggrin: (unless Pro Evo becomes crap :wink:)...infact i try not to get EA games if possible (they milk the **** out of everything so much that its disgusting).

personally i was thinking: PES7, Gears of War, Tekken/DOA/Mortal Kombat (?), Oblivian and wasnt sure on driving game :p:

Surely you'd wanna buy Halo 3 if you were getting the 360 in Sept?

Also, out of those fighting games, I think only DOA is available on the 360...

PES7 won't be out til October

Oblivion is amazing :s-smilie:
Viva Pinata, oh dear, played that for a wee bit yesterday, and it is truly stupid.. :teeth:

Maniacal Mr. Monocle

Seems to be quite a high maintainence machine, in some respects. All I wanted to do is plug in and play, not sure if it's all that easy to do on a 360. And what's this about discs being forever 'unplayable' when the console is running a disc and moved. Hmm....

Quite high, yeh. But if you look after if, and not spend like a million hours a day (well, you know..) on it, then it should be fine.
Fifa 07 - One of the crappest Fifa Games i have played to date...

PES6 - Not bad..

Brian Lara Cricket - Love it :biggrin: But i keep missing the ball at times.. :ninja:
Reply 189
High maintenance? :s: I've had no problems and had to do little to look after it.
dangle
High maintenance? :s: I've had no problems and had to do little to look after it.

Yeah, i have to keep my in a box, due to my dog and her never ending malting... :frown:

Well, i do take it out of the box to play it.. :ninja:

Clean it every day, and never keep a disc inside after i turn it off.

I think it would be easier to have an actual child...
.Andrew.
Quite high, yeh. But if you look after if, and not spend like a million hours a day (well, you know..) on it, then it should be fine.

Recommended playing time for 1 day is apparently 6 hours, from I've read, which is alright.
Reply 192
.Andrew.
Clean it every day, and never keep a disc inside after i turn it off.

I keep the discs in all the time and i've never had a problem ;no;
Reply 193
yeah i leave discs in from time to time, have moved it with discs in (well dog has), i never dust the area its in (more than the rest of the room), only red lights i get are when i havent connected it all back up again properly :p:
Reply 194
Yeah i always leave discs in, i think i even brought it home from leeds with a disc in...yeah i did although it wasnt a game, it was a wallace and gromit dvd :smile:

I've also played on it for more than 6 hours a day. I reckon i'll be on it for more than 6hours today cos i just got oblivion and i cant seem to stop playing...im still in my pyjamas :redface:
Reply 195
What type of character have you made on Oblivion? I have it for my PC, not xbox. I made a sneaky elf character that uses a bow. I'm wanting to start again to play a melee oriented class but I think that's a bad idea as there's already enough side quests for my elf to complete even after doing the main storyline.
Reply 196
I'm a Dark Elf. I really didn't know what i was doing though when you have to pick the birth sign and class and stuff, but the character seems ok.

I feel a bit geeky playing it, cos i don't really play this sort of game, but it's pretty addictive. I think i may as well say goodbye to my summer now :rolleyes:
Reply 197
Can anyone suggest a good action game like Dead or Alive 4 please?
Reply 198
Virtua Fighter 5 is coming out in August/September which should be incredible (and better than the PS3 version :biggrin:)
Reply 199
kolo5
Virtua Fighter 5 is coming out in August/September which should be incredible (and better than the PS3 version :biggrin:)

You are right it does look incredible! I cant wait !

Quick Reply

Latest