The Student Room Group

Biology or History for A Level? Help me chooze plz

In my school we need to choose three A2's and one AS.
The subjects I want to do are maths, economics, history and biology. However between history and biology, I need to do one for AS and the other for A2 - that's what I haven't decided yet.
At university I'm planning on doing either Chartered Accounting or Economics. So which should I take for AS and which should I do A2 alongside Maths and Economics? At the moment I'm thinking that I'll just choose the one that's easier to get a top grade for the A2 option. But I don't know which of the two will be easier. Any help is appreciated :smile:
The one that would be easier would depend on you. Some find history 'easier', some biology.
I guess if you're wanting to do Accounting or Economics, History would be the best option, as it relates more and will form a pretty strong Economics applicant, alongside Maths and Economics.However, if you prefer Biology and feel you could do better at it, by all means do it, I'd just do whatever you're able to get the best grades in. You could always do all four, that's what I've decided to do as I don't want to drop any of my subjects, the workload will be greater though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Choose the one which you will enjoy more, have a look at the modules as well (e.g. my school focused on Russian and Irish history).
My advice would also be to keep your options open at this stage (in terms of varying your subjects), don't box yourself in by choosing very related subjects either, unless you are dead-set on your career aspirations.

Good luck :smile:
Do other schools also usually ask you in year 11 to pick between A or AS for your subjects? Because if not, then it means it's probably possible for me to change my mind next year if I wanted to as then I would be able to make a much more informed decision. I should ask my school this on Monday.
Hamzah! Bro! Choose Biology! :biggrin: It's so awesome! I chose maths and all 3 sciences and i enjoyed biology a lot more than the rest! Plus there are loads of youtube videos for biology a level on YouTube :smile: Also With biology if you have a bad teacher it doesn't matter too much, unlike in chemistry, physics and maths, having a good teacher is a lot more important. Biology rules and everything else drools! :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Biology is boring man. I hate it the most out of all my subjects lol and history suits most of your subjects.

You've got till around summer time realistically anyways...
Original post by HamzahPatel
Do other schools also usually ask you in year 11 to pick between A or AS for your subjects? Because if not, then it means it's probably possible for me to change my mind next year if I wanted to as then I would be able to make a much more informed decision. I should ask my school this on Monday.

We submitted choices in year 11 so the school could make 'pathways'
But our final decisions were made during an interview after GCSE results day.

Quick Reply

Latest