The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi BrasenoseAdm, I don't manage to get an offer from Oxford this year but feel obliged to say a BIG THANK YOU for all your input.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leehoma
Hi BrasenoseAdm, I don't manage to get an offer from Oxford this year but feel obliged to say a BIG THANK YOU for all your input.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Commiserations Leehoma but many thanks for the feedback and we hope you have some other offers for great courses to pick from.

Good luck with your future studies.
Reply 42
Original post by Themathgeek
Heyy guys,

Uncertain whether I want to apply to Cambridge or Oxford yet

~13A* and 2A (including short course GCSE's)

~My a levels are maths,further maths, additional further maths (self taught), economics and German

~Either Maths or Maths and Stats

~Related activities: UKMT team and individual challenges, UKMT mentoring schemes, Royal Institute maths scheme, tutor maths to GCSE, cam STEP scheme etc

You are a genius,. Can you show me the path to enlightenment?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Palette
I think I could have received a higher raw mark for some GCSE exams if I hadn't gone on TSR so much. However, regarding the distribution of revision time between different subjects and exam according to importance and difficulty, I ended up executing that perfectly.

Mixture of different reasons. I wouldn't mind talking about it tomorrow.

By that, I mean a mixture of school and government policies and personal issues... none of which I should post in this thread (as I may end up in a long rant).
the year 13s getting them oxbridge offers gets me excited:colondollar:

but then people get rejected and i get depressed :/
i took 3 AS exams in yr 11 and bc i was so annoyed at my school at making me take them i put 0 effort in. i got As but with low UMS (all <90). thank god oxford don't see ups grades so an 83% is no different to a 99% at AS to them.

also i regret not putting more effort into my gcses. i've always been smart so i guess i kind of new i'd do well without much revising but now i look back and think if i had tried harder would i have got straight A*s? lots of girls in my year got straight A*s and i wish i had tried as hard as them. also av. A* percentage is 90% (can't remember where i read this) which i missed out on. :/

anyways have any of you already started thinking about your PS? i recently realised i have nothing impressive to put on there.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
i took 3 AS exams in yr 11 and bc i was so annoyed at my school at making me take them i put 0 effort in. i got As but with low UMS (all <90). thank god oxford don't see ups grades so an 83% is no different to a 99% at AS to them.

also i regret not putting more effort into my gcses. i've always been smart so i guess i kind of new i'd do well without much revising but now i look back and think if i had tried harder would i have got straight A*s? lots of girls in my year got straight A*s and i wish i had tried as hard as them. also av. A* percentage is 90% (can't remember where i read this) which i missed out on. :/

anyways have any of you already started thinking about your PS? i recently realised i have nothing impressive to put on there.

I am applying to a summer school, where I need a personal statement so I've written a shorter version of it

Realised I can't fit everything I want to in :/
Original post by Palette
You are a genius,. Can you show me the path to enlightenment?

Nowhere near! Honestly!
I am applying to a summer school, where I need a personal statement so I've written a shorter version of it

Realised I can't fit everything I want to in :/

thanks for making me feel worse lol
Heyy guys,

Uncertain whether I want to apply to Cambridge or Oxford yet

~13A* and 2A (including short course GCSE's)

~My a levels are maths,further maths, additional further maths (self taught), economics and German

~Either Maths or Maths and Stats

~Related activities: UKMT team and individual challenges, UKMT mentoring schemes, Royal Institute maths scheme, tutor maths to GCSE, cam STEP scheme etc

do/did you go to private school?
Reply 50
Original post by Plagioclase
No need for despair, I only found out my subject existed around this time in your life and only made the final decision to study it the summer before I applied. You've still got more than enough time to get your teeth into your subject and as always, GCSEs are not everything :h:

Did you ever find yourself in a rush to catch up with people who knew about Earth Sciences before you did?
Nonono oh nooo i'm so sorryyy :frown:((((

You should look into summer schools though! There are so many! Then you'll have something to write about !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, state school

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

state grammar. though i am in a sixth form only now.
Original post by Palette
Did you ever find yourself in a rush to catch up with people who knew about Earth Sciences before you did?

I don't think so really, I taught myself quite a bit already just by reading and to be honest the people who have had the biggest advantage are those who did Further Maths and Chemistry.
Original post by Nomes24
Yeah they were such a nice bunch of people! Shame there wasn't anything like the same participation in humanities threads :frown:

Yeah, I moved to quite a famous/ prestigious school for sixth form, so I guess it is its reputation that attracts lecturers. It's an amazing opportunity though, one I'm really grateful for. It wasn't easy to get in and when I go to all these lectures I'm thinking, this is why I came to this school. Mind you, not all the lectures are from lecturers per se, some our from old students who have gone on to do post-grads, or in the case of history, people who have actually lived through it.

I wouldn't worry about it though, there is plenty of time to go to lectures and this number isn't really the norm, it's just because my school is pretty academic. Besides, it's what you do with lectures that counts. That's why I'm trying to develop my literary interests based on lectures I've been to, so I can show depth in one particular area :smile:

Our schools do sound very similar - at our school we get amazing lecturers coming in to talk to us about different subjects, it's really amazing and quite eye opening. In regards to EPQ, I had an assembly on it today so I'm ready to give you information :tongue: You write (usually) a dissertation about a question that relates to what you would like to study at university. It can be time consuming but it genuinely looks very interesting :biggrin:
this thread is so dead compared to cambridge 2017... its the 2016 thread all over agin.
What kind of stuff are you doing to help you get in? i.e. extra curricular/obscure stuff/work experience
this thread is so dead compared to cambridge 2017... its the 2016 thread all over agin.

Yeah it really is hahahahah

I think I'm going to end up applying to Cambridge tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending