The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by QueenOfCaffeine
I loved it! Fell in love with the all over again; ir's really motivated me too...I've done a lot of M.A.T. prep in the past week. I loved Somerville and St. Hugh's the most out of the colleges I saw. I thought the tutors in St. Peter's were absolutely lovely but the actual college didn't appeal to me as much so I don't know what to do....
What about you?

I am thinking to apply to St. Hugh's for biological sciences. I am an international student so I was not able to visit it.
Could you please tell me more about it!

P.S. Which course?
Reply 581
I loved it! Fell in love with the university all over again; ir's really motivated me too...I've done a lot of M.A.T. prep in the past week. I loved Somerville and St. Hugh's the most out of the colleges I saw. I thought the tutors in St. Peter's were absolutely lovely but the actual college didn't appeal to me as much so I don't know what to do....
What about you?

Same, I absolutely loved it. Merton and Corpus were my favourites, but my teacher did warn me they're harder to get into. Apparently he more meant that in a 'minimising chances of getting pooled' way rather than a 'getting into the university' way though, so I'm not feeling too bad about it.

My teacher has also been running sessions to help people prep for uni admissions, so this week I've been doing a STEP I paper, which I've actually found pretty hard. *cries*
Absolutely loved it! Oxford is an amazing place - I'm worried I've fallen in love with it a little bit too much and I'm now far too attached for my own good, but, y'know. Applying to either Brasenose, Oriel or Univ to study History and Politics.

And that's where the confusion comes in. I'm really worried about applying for joint honours because I've been told it's much harder to get a place etc., which makes sense because there are less places available for joint courses. So I'm absolutely terrified to apply for History and Politics even though it's the course I love, and might just apply for History because I love both subjects so much that I'd happily do either separately as well. But I'm really not sure because my heart does say History and Politics, but realistically I'd probably have a better chance at getting a place for single honours History and Oxford has always been my dream.
Reply 583
Your grades are exceptional. Apply for what you like the most. Do not overthink it. You have a greater chance of getting in by showing enthusiasm for your subject. There is a user on TSR that is going to study HisPol at Oxford this year. He is really helpful. His name is MaxReid.

I agree with you. I fell in love with Oxford, almost obsessed with it.

P.S. You'll see. On 11th of January you will get a letter from Oxford that says congratulations!
Original post by amygracebroad
Absolutely loved it! Oxford is an amazing place - I'm worried I've fallen in love with it a little bit too much and I'm now far too attached for my own good, but, y'know. Applying to either Brasenose, Oriel or Univ to study History and Politics.

And that's where the confusion comes in. I'm really worried about applying for joint honours because I've been told it's much harder to get a place etc., which makes sense because there are less places available for joint courses. So I'm absolutely terrified to apply for History and Politics even though it's the course I love, and might just apply for History because I love both subjects so much that I'd happily do either separately as well. But I'm really not sure because my heart does say History and Politics, but realistically I'd probably have a better chance at getting a place for single honours History and Oxford has always been my dream.

Just thought I'd say I felt exactly the same as you after the open days last year - I was worried about going to them in case I ended up obsessing over Oxford. Which I did!

But also I seriously considered 'gaming' admissions and going for straight history, but I really think you should go with your heart and go for joint honours. You might even get offered straight history at the end of it anyway. From what they said at the open day I went to, a fair few people apply for HisPol etc without really thinking about why they want to study the two together. Rather it's that they just didn't know what to drop. So as long as you really think about that, you shouldn't be put off by the lower offer rate.
Original post by BioOx
I am thinking to apply to St. Hugh's for biological sciences. I am an international student so I was not able to visit it.
Could you please tell me more about it!

P.S. Which course?

I'm actually an international student too! But just from Ireland so it wasn't a big trek to go over. Maths & Philosophy is the course I'm hoping to do.
The only disadvantage I could see with the college was that it's slightly further out of the town- but the town is so compact that this means that it's a 10/15minute walk from the centre as opposed to 58 seconds.
Their library was absolutely gorgeous, the nicest by far out of the 5 colleges I visited. There's accomodation for all the years of the course, and the rooms are really nice, and in your 2nd and 3rd year you can apply to have rooms beside your friends. This mightn't matter to you, but a big thing for me was the music facilities, they have some lovely music rooms with pianos that all of the students can use.

I found the students there so friendly, and there was definitely a sense of community there- when I walked in and was asked which course I wanted to do, the people there (from all different years and courses) could name all of the students in the college doing that course. I really liked all that.
I'm going to file through all the sheets I got at the open day later so I'll message you if I've forgotten anything!
But yeah overall, an extremely friendly college with great facilities that's just a little bit out of the way :smile:
Original post by qeyoo
Same, I absolutely loved it. Merton and Corpus were my favourites, but my teacher did warn me they're harder to get into. Apparently he more meant that in a 'minimising chances of getting pooled' way rather than a 'getting into the university' way though, so I'm not feeling too bad about it.

My teacher has also been running sessions to help people prep for uni admissions, so this week I've been doing a STEP I paper, which I've actually found pretty hard. *cries*

Are you applying for maths? I absolutely loved the lecturers at the maths talks, thought their sense of humour was hilarious...
I'm international so I've been trying to teach myself C1 & C2...our syllabus doesn't cover calculus until the last 2 months of your last year :/
Hoping to try some STEP 1 and UKMT papers then, and then start past MAT papers at the end of August...are you doing anything else to prepare? :smile:
Original post by amygracebroad
Absolutely loved it! Oxford is an amazing place - I'm worried I've fallen in love with it a little bit too much and I'm now far too attached for my own good, but, y'know.

I have never related on a deeper level with anything, ever
Hi!
I'm hoping to apply to study history at Oxford, does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the HAT? :smile:
Original post by SashaBridgen
Hi!
I'm hoping to apply to study history at Oxford, does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the HAT? :smile:

Past papers, past papers, past papers. :smile:

It's actually quite a fun paper, and you need different skills for each question. Have a good look through all the mark schemes to see what you need to do to get high marks. I'm more than happy to say more about it if you want (though I'm no expert), but the mark schemes probably put it better than me.
Reply 590
Are you applying for maths? I absolutely loved the lecturers at the maths talks, thought their sense of humour was hilarious...
I'm international so I've been trying to teach myself C1 & C2...our syllabus doesn't cover calculus until the last 2 months of your last year :/
Hoping to try some STEP 1 and UKMT papers then, and then start past MAT papers at the end of August...are you doing anything else to prepare? :smile:

Yeah, applying for maths. I really liked the maths department too, especially the cafe area, seems a good place to work. STEP I is based off the whole a level syllabus, does your syllabus cover this already then? MAT however is only based off C1 and C2, as far as I am aware.

My teacher runs prep sessions for MAT and STEP, and these have started already, so they're currently my prep. I'm also doing some reading, trying to persuade parents to buy me an undergraduate textbook to have a look at.
Original post by Don Joiner
Is it actually true that applying to less well heard of colleges does not improve your chance of getting in?

I know that if Oxford think you're good enough then you will get in and be pooled etc but surely you're more likely to get into a new less famous college than Christchurch etc?

can someone explain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I applied for PPE at Hertford. Didn't get in - apparently my TSA was "excellent", philosophy and politics interviews good, but economics wasn't enough.

I talked to a guy from a university I might now attend, he holds a PHD from Oxford - his first response was to laugh at me for even trying to get into Hertford. "You don't apply to Hertford if you want to do PPE, you apply to Lady Margaret Hall" was his exact reply...

[On the other hand people DO study at the cool colleges, lol, so it certainly is possible to get in, but the best colleges will probably attract the best candidates.]
Original post by Viridiana
Hmm, I applied for PPE at Hertford. Didn't get in - apparently my TSA was "excellent", philosophy and politics interviews good, but economics wasn't enough.

I talked to a guy from a university I might now attend, he holds a PHD from Oxford - his first response was to laugh at me for even trying to get into Hertford. "You don't apply to Hertford if you want to do PPE, you apply to Lady Margaret Hall" was his exact reply...

[On the other hand people DO study at the cool colleges, lol, so it certainly is possible to get in, but the best colleges will probably attract the best candidates.]

Is that implying that Hertford is really hard to get into? Or LMH is much better?
Original post by will_cash
Is that implying that Hertford is really hard to get into? Or LMH is much better?

S/he's implying that Hertford is hard to get into, which may be true - I've not seen the stats - but it won't make you less likely to get into the university, it just means you're more likely to be reallocated to another college. Viridiana is probably mistaken if s/he thinks that applying to Hertford made them more likely to be rejected.
Reply 594
https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate/additional-info/college-success-rates?wssl=1
More people apply to Hertford than to LMH. But the difference of acceptance is almost insignificant.
I've heard that for medicine, the successful candidate had a mean pA*s of 0.94. I only took 10 GCSEs and got 9A*s and an A. That would give me a proportion of 0.9 which is less than the mean. Does that mean I will be at a disadvantage?
Original post by Plagioclase
S/he's implying that Hertford is hard to get into, which may be true - I've not seen the stats - but it won't make you less likely to get into the university, it just means you're more likely to be reallocated to another college. Viridiana is probably mistaken if s/he thinks that applying to Hertford made them more likely to be rejected.

yes I believe it makes no difference really what college you apply to, as the standard of applicants fluctuates pretty regularly.
Original post by studentsixth
I've heard that for medicine, the successful candidate had a mean pA*s of 0.94. I only took 10 GCSEs and got 9A*s and an A. That would give me a proportion of 0.9 which is less than the mean. Does that mean I will be at a disadvantage?

You can see the full statistics here, both in terms of A* number and percentage. Medicine at Oxford is extremely competitive for everyone. If you're confident that you can do very well in the BMAT then it could well be worth applying.
Original post by rainbowtwist
Did you do well in your GCSEs?

Pretty good for my region but not tsr :'D
6A*s, 3A's, 1B

Which A Levels are you doing?

Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry

Which course do you plan to apply for?

Physics bc it's amazing

Do any particular colleges interest you? Why?

I have absolutely no idea - any will do I guess

What are your hobbies?

manga/anime, everything sci-fi, badminton, reading, interneting, does physics count as a hobby? haha

If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day?

Internally cry then shout it out to everyone I know - wait no, everyone I come across haha

Haha you sound like me
I got 5A* and 3As they didn't let me take more Gcses at school :tongue: so I might ask them put it on my ref
I was so sure of physics but someone recently talked to me about job prospects and applications and asked me to consider engineering again or even physics Phil
How's prep for the PAT?
Original post by Lau14
I'll join the crowds - I'm a first year physics student at St Hugh's, feel free to ask me anything :smile:

Hey!
Got 5A*3A at Gcse ( these were max I was allowed to take at school :frown: is that ok? )
Also I'm super passionate about physics rcen when I talk about it but someone recently talked to me about prospects for internationals at uk and made me consider engineering instead or phyx and Phil what do you think?
And how has Oxford been? Any advice for the PAT and my admission in general
Really want to get in
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending