The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, I was rejected from Cambridge today and plan or reapplying next year but I haven't decided on whether to go for Cambridge again or to try for Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lollllll a year ago I was in this position...... Let's go and work hard youngsters!!!✊
PPE applicant who got rejected this year probably reapplying this year...
2 boys (out of 3 maths applicants) got accepted at Cambridge maths in the year above, and no one applied to oxford maths. my teacher was basically discouraging us from applying to oxford bc its not as 'prestigious' for maths. like seriously its already oxbridge! I'm not looking for perfection i don't really care which is more prestigious.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
All of Oxford's standard offers are over 3 A-levels. It is quite common for students holding offers to drop 1 or more A-levels after receiving an offer. Brasenose and other colleges require offer-holders to notify of us to changes in intended examinations - the primary reason for this is to check that a candidate can still meet the terms of an offer and to remind them that they will need to get the required grades over 3 (rather than 4 or more) A-levels if 1 (or more) are dropped.

You can look up the standard offer for subjects on Oxford University's Undergraduate Admissions pages:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

The main complication with offers occurs if a candidate has taken an early A-level in an essential or recommended subject. This may mean that the appropriate offer is conditional over 2 subjects or an offer may be made over 3 subjects (AAB or A*AB or A*A*B) depending on the circumstances.

Feel free to PM us if this is confusing and further clarification is needed.

Brasenose Admissions

Hello, I'm a Scottish student and was wondering if an offer would require specific bands in advanced higher exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
this thread is so dead compared to cambridge 2017... its the 2016 thread all over agin.

In my opinion, that's a rather premature conclusion.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
this thread is so dead compared to cambridge 2017... its the 2016 thread all over agin.

Just because they weren't as obsessive as the Cambridge applicants doesn't mean the thread was dead! There's nothing wrong with not having a ton of posts yet, it's ridiculously early anyway.
Original post by Palette
In my opinion, that's a rather premature conclusion.

its not that deep
Original post by Plagioclase
Just because they weren't as obsessive as the Cambridge applicants doesn't mean the thread was dead! There's nothing wrong with not having a ton of posts yet, it's ridiculously early anyway.

idm that it's chill.... though i would prefer it to be as lively and exciting as the cambridge thread. though this seems to happen every year idk why. the cambridge applicants are just so hyper.
Original post by Runner0204
Hello, I'm a Scottish student and was wondering if an offer would require specific bands in advanced higher exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Runner 0204,

All of Oxford's degree courses should state what requirements students need to fulfil if they are taking Highers and Advanced Highers:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

Each year, our Fresher cohort includes 4-5 students from Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland plus all major regions of England. Between 10-15% of undergraduates are also either EU or international.

We are looking forward to celebrating Burns' Night later this month which is always one of the most popular social events. Naturally, we would like to see more Scottish students apply but understand that differences in the fee regime post-devolution have an impact on this.
I feel like I've arrived a bit late to this thread but I'm going to join in anyway!

Did you do well in your GCSEs?
8A*s and 2As, which was pretty good for my state school but not quite TSR standard haha

Which A Levels are you doing?
French, English lit, Chinese and fine art

Which course do you plan to apply for?
I'm 99.9% sure it'll be modern languages, probably French and beginner's German/French and Portuguese

Do any particular colleges interest you? Why?
I like the look of Wadham and Balliol because apparently they're quite liberal and accepting; I've also heard that Balliol has a really nice library

What are your hobbies?
Art/painting/drawing, singing, learning languages, writing, reading, debating - basically anything creative or political!

If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day?
Probably cry a lot (that's what I did on GCSE results day) and be completely in shock for the rest of the day :biggrin:
Hi guys :smile: I'm an offer holder for Linguistics and French at Oxford. If you have any questions just reply to this post and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions! I know how stressful it can be ... :smile:
I just spent the day at the university and now I want to go even more :smile:
Hi, I'm Amy :smile:
10 A*s 2 A (still makes me furious even thinking about it so lets not)
English Literature, History, Government and Politics, Maths
History and English/History and Politics
Magdalen/St John's though I'm not entirely sure yet because I'm overwhelmed at all of the choices! Probably because they've got good sports facilities to be honest, I'm an outdoorsy person and the grounds look beautiful.
What are your hobbies?
Cricket (more of a serious sport than a hobby as I play at county level but, you know, still my first love!), journalism, politics, cycling, filmmaking, reading, long walks on the beach by my house
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day?
Most probably get very very excited and cry, I'd expect
Hey guys!
Did you do well in your GCSEs? Actually, since I'm applying with international qualifications, my GCSE equivalents do not count.
Which A Levels are you doing? (equivalents) English lit. and lang, bio, physics, chem and economics. I'll also be sitting the SAT subject test and the AP test in English literature
Which course do you plan to apply for? English Literature
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? I think I really like the look of New college, it is one of the biggest and oldest colleges.
What are your hobbies? Writing, reading, debating, theatre (although I haven't done much of it), some irrelevant ones like singing, making art, etc.
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of that day? Just the thought of this excites me haha
I'd probably sigh heavily, and then sleep for the rest of the day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello everyone :"D
I'm an international student so I don't study GCSE
DoubleMath, Economics and Accounting
Economics and Management
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? Not really
What are your hobbies?
singing, dancing, sketching, cooking, taking photo, decorating and recently, learning languages :smile:
cry or yell -> text EVERYONE I KNOW to inform them -> probably go somewhere to have fun -> go home and make a list of things I have told myself to do if I get accepted
Just joining this thread as I do like the look of the material science or physics course at Oxford! Still unsure though :/
I am also on the Cambridge hopefuls thread! However I doubt that I'd even get my predicted as grades (AAAA) never mind an oxbridge interview but you never know :smile:
10A*s so pretty well!! Came top in my school (comprehensive) somehow, I wouldn't consider myself to be the smartest though!
Maths, Further Maths (through support network), Physics and Chemistry
Physics or Material Science
Christ Church - HARRY POTTER OF COURSE :biggrin:
What are your hobbies?
Documentaries, drawing/painting, reading sciencey stuff, occasionally doing fun little maths problems.
I'd be in utter shock I don't think I'd do anything. I'd probably scream down the phone to all my friends and just cry.
Original post by patricio_miguel
Hi guys :smile: I'm an offer holder for Linguistics and French at Oxford. If you have any questions just reply to this post and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions! I know how stressful it can be ... :smile:

What kind of stuff did you put on your personal statement? Like extracurriculars and stuff
Heyy I'm Nikki I applied to Somerville for PPE this year, went through the whole process, and was eventually unsuccessful! Reapplying again though for human sciences (a bit of a transition ik haha)

I'm from the US, so I don't take a levels and stuff but I've met all of the US qualifications + more. My hobbies include traveling, journalism, track and field, and reading!

Definitely want to get to know you guys! Anyone else on here international or reapplying?

Feel free to message me or anything!
Didn't take GCSEs (International). Taking Chemistry, Maths, and Biology at A-level.

Actually applied for 2016 entry, Medicine, but was rejected for being too young (Late December, 2000). Reapplying either for 2017 entry Biomedical Science or 2018 entry Medicine (will decide after contacting them in March regarding their updated age requirements). Definitely considering Magdalen! It's beautiful :smile:

Hobbies: Mostly playing team sports :biggrin:

If given a place: Probably cry & celebrate with friends!

Latest

Trending

Trending