The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauren1498x
I did Russia at higher and Hated it so much lol. We're doing Germany this year but we've barely done anything apart from the German Revolution. I don't know enough about the Weimar Republic to write an essay on it so I'm pretty much stuck with one topic rip me. I've been going over stuff I've done at higher which included the suffrage movement and the Liberal Reforms, however I only really know the higher content and I'm not sure if they're looking for AH breadth and depth or if higher will be sufficient

Well, if you look at the marking schedule the questions are designed for students studying at AH, A-level, IB etc. The way I am thinking is this; If I know a topic inside out (with a good level of histography) then you are likely to see different angles. I suppose the women's suffrage movement is a good topic, as it incorporates many different themes e.g- flexibility of governance and policy making. However, I would seriously recommend some extended reading both within the topic of German history for specifics and different time periods for breadth as an overall help.
Original post by MouseyBrown
I definitely reckon your time would be better spent going through passages you knew nothing about, and seeing what you can figure out from them.

They're testing your ability to analyse stuff you don't know.

I would say that your thought process is rather simplistic (no offense). The passage and question from HAT are actually uncannily similar to studies that conclude that prior knowledge is imperative to cognition. In 1978, E.D. Hirsch asked groups of students to read two passages of equal difficulty in terms of vocabulary and syntax. One was about friendship, and one was about Grant and Lee and the end of the Civil War. University students understood both passages equally well. Poorer students at the community college did just as well on the passage about friendship but struggled on the one about the Civil War. Hirsch theorised that their weakness on this second passage was down to their lack of knowledge about the Civil War, not any lack of some innate ‘passage comprehension’ ability. Therefore, I would urge you to think again.
I definitely reckon your time would be better spent going through passages you knew nothing about, and seeing what you can figure out from them.

They're testing your ability to analyse stuff you don't know.

Original post by The prize winner
I would say that your thought process is rather simplistic (no offense). The passage and question from HAT are actually uncannily similar to studies that conclude that prior knowledge is imperative to cognition. In 1978, E.D. Hirsch asked groups of students to read two passages of equal difficulty in terms of vocabulary and syntax. One was about friendship, and one was about Grant and Lee and the end of the Civil War. University students understood both passages equally well. Poorer students at the community college did just as well on the passage about friendship but struggled on the one about the Civil War. Hirsch theorised that their weakness on this second passage was down to their lack of knowledge about the Civil War, not any lack of some innate ‘passage comprehension’ ability. Therefore, I would urge you to think again.

To be fair, I agree with @MouseyBrown I'm fairly sure the whole point of the HAT is to see how you think and how you go about analyzing and what your level of comprehension and thought process is like. In regards to an essay, that requires a lot less of a critical approach. In theory you could have been spoon fed all the information in an essay by your teacher and then fairly easily be able to write an essay which covers this. Also, the way the passages are chosen I think it's no surprise they pick things that the (majority) haven't done. Missionaries in Iraq, monks in the 9th century etc Certainly if it was me I would have a natural tendency to try and put in any existing knowledge into the question which is certainly NOT the point of the questions. Also, it is virtually impossible to know what is going to come up and so as a result hard to know what 'context' you're going to need.

You taking about the first question then, not the third?

Even so, the study you mention just shows that if you've already covered what the passage is about, then it'll help you. But the chances of something you've already covered coming up are so slim, you're times still spent preparing in other ways, like practicing all the past papers, going over stuff for the essay question, and doing what I mentioned for question 3 (which is what I though you were taking about before).

Mahbe what I'm saying is simplistic, but the HAT actually tests how well you do the 'simple' fundamentals, which are mainly nothing to do with prior knowledge. It's testing the stuff you need to do every day on the course, when you're studying things you have no prior knowledge about pretty much non-stop.
You taking about the first question then, not the third?

Even so, the study you mention just shows that if you've already covered what the passage is about, then it'll help you. But the chances of something you've already covered coming up are so slim, you're times still spent preparing in other ways, like practicing all the past papers, going over stuff for the essay question, and doing what I mentioned for question 3 (which is what I though you were taking about before).

Mahbe what I'm saying is simplistic, but the HAT actually tests how well you do the 'simple' fundamentals, which are mainly nothing to do with prior knowledge. It's testing the stuff you need to do every day on the course, when you're studying things you have no prior knowledge about pretty much non-stop.

My apologies for the misunderstanding, you have a point, stick to the fundamental skills and do all the past papers and this will increase your mark. My approach is my attempt to break the plateau of the 80% mark, I'm struggling to get any higher.
My apologies for the misunderstanding, you have a point, stick to the fundamental skills and do all the past papers and this will increase your mark. My approach is my attempt to break the plateau of the 80% mark, I'm struggling to get any higher.

You're getting around 80?😳😳 that's amazing!!! I thought getting in the 60s was good going
You're getting around 80?😳😳 that's amazing!!! I thought getting in the 60s was good going

General rule of thumb is that 63/64 gets you an interview, average of accepted is usually like 66-68

Thank you :smile: 60 is good going, I'm pretty sure that the HAT is to eliminate 1/3 of all applicants could be wrong on that one, assuming that's the case as long as you are not in the bottom 3rd you'll be fine, although if it's a year of intellectual heavyweights (you never know haha) then you will have to do better. Repetition is key, for practise I usually go on the economist etc and try and summarise the argument, even on topics I don't know a great deal about. So maybe try that? I dunno just tryna help, good luck.

Yeah of all things, past papers as going over A level stuff for question 2 is the best prep in my opinion.

Good luck man :smile:
Is written work anywhere nearly as important as the other things like the ps? Essays are by far my strongest and I've heard that they don't really look at them very much :/
Is written work anywhere nearly as important as the other things like the ps? Essays are by far my strongest and I've heard that they don't really look at them very much :/

They can interview you on the essay, so yeah it's important :tongue: what college have you applied for by the way?

Yeah they will interview you on it and they actually grade it too.
Original post by alevelpain
They can interview you on the essay, so yeah it's important :tongue: what college have you applied for by the way?

Univ! You? Also I know for the essay they say 1.5-3 sides.. But I have ridiculously enormous hand writing like 3 words on a line big it's how I write so much so quickly. Apart from the 15 lines question, do you think they'll penalize for how much you write I'll write a good 10 sides for the essay question in 40 minutes :s-smilie:
Univ! You? Also I know for the essay they say 1.5-3 sides.. But I have ridiculously enormous hand writing like 3 words on a line big it's how I write so much so quickly. Apart from the 15 lines question, do you think they'll penalize for how much you write I'll write a good 10 sides for the essay question in 40 minutes :s-smilie:

Lincoln & yeah that should be fine it's only a suggestion
Lincoln & yeah that should be fine it's only a suggestion

Thanks! I'm really panicking as I'm finding it super hard to group conclusions I've found in question 3 together into themes.... I love that question so much but always seem to find away to completely interpret stuff wrong or miss out its importance completely!
Thanks! I'm really panicking as I'm finding it super hard to group conclusions I've found in question 3 together into themes.... I love that question so much but always seem to find away to completely interpret stuff wrong or miss out its importance completely!

my teacher said you don't really need an intro or a conclusion for the sources, usually it just asks what it says about society nothing to weigh
Original post by WinterApproaches
I applied for Law at Brasenose but switched to Christ Church at the very last second! Why did you go for Brasenose? :smile:

Mainly the size and atmosphere, it was the smallest and friendliest out of the colleges I saw. The only downside is how competitive it is! How about you? Changing from Brasenose to ChCh seems like an unusual change considering the size of each...
my teacher said you don't really need an intro or a conclusion for the sources, usually it just asks what it says about society nothing to weigh

Hello, I am applying for History and Politics. I was reading the conversation and I got the feeling that we are expected to choose a syllabus topic for the essay question. Are we expected to do so?
Original post by Enrique1688
Hello, I am applying for History and Politics. I was reading the conversation and I got the feeling that we are expected to choose a syllabus topic for the essay question. Are we expected to do so?

Think it's just a topic that you know enough about to be able to write an essay at A level or equivalent level of knowledge/analysis etc. I've never been formally taught about the reformation in Europe but could almost do an essay on it if pushed
Think it's just a topic that you know enough about to be able to write an essay at A level or equivalent level of knowledge/analysis etc. I've never been formally taught about the reformation in Europe but could almost do an essay on it if pushed

Thanks. I asked because I personally think the broad essay questions conflict with the way and nature in which my IB modern history course is taught. I personally prefer writing on the Early Modern for something like the 2013 essay question, rather than writing about Hitler or Stalin.

Latest

Trending

Trending