The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Izzie1234567
Oh wow I found another person applying for classics! I'm not doing Greek from scratch but I only have the As so I think I'll be somewhere in the middle.

Here's another person doing Classics. My Greek isn't as good as my Latin, but I'm OK at it.
Original post by fablereader
Here's another person doing Classics. My Greek isn't as good as my Latin, but I'm OK at it.

Same as me. I was at the Greek summer school at Bryanston and I came back from that with better Greek than Latin but it's switched round again. 😅
loool my latin is better than my greek but I am not applying for classics so :tongue:
Same as me. I was at the Greek summer school at Bryanston and I came back from that with better Greek than Latin but it's switched round again. 😅

Ooh, a summer school! I've never been to one. How was it?
Ooh, a summer school! I've never been to one. How was it?

I had a really great time. It was a lot of work but I improved so quickly and there was loads to do. It was also really nice not to be in the minority because lots of people took Latin and Greek :biggrin:
I had a really great time. It was a lot of work but I improved so quickly and there was loads to do. It was also really nice not to be in the minority because lots of people took Latin and Greek :biggrin:

Much of the summer was boring for me, nothing to do. I considered going to one this year, but either I couldn't go to them or they didn't interest me enough. I can't get why more people aren't interested in Classics.
Oh wow I found another person applying for classics! I'm not doing Greek from scratch but I only have the As so I think I'll be somewhere in the middle.

Whoop for classicists! Which colleges are you applying to? Bryanston Summer school sounds like fun, I'm gutted I never got to go there ^^
Original post by mazzaion
Whoop for classicists! Which colleges are you applying to? Bryanston Summer school sounds like fun, I'm gutted I never got to go there ^^

Haha this is great. I'm applying for Oriel.
Original post by wolfmoon88
loool my latin is better than my greek but I am not applying for classics so :tongue:

What are you applying for?
What are you applying for?

Human Sciences :tongue:

Bad memories in classics class... :shudder: translating Lucretius at 7am in the morning :tongue:
Original post by mazzaion

Merton college. It just feels right for me.
Human Sciences :tongue:

Bad memories in classics class... :shudder: translating Lucretius at 7am in the morning :tongue:

*blink* That's a bad memory? (Although, translating philosophy first thing in the morning maybe isn't great.)
*blink* That's a bad memory? (Although, translating philosophy first thing in the morning maybe isn't great.)

as a none hardcore classics student... you have no idea :tongue: *shudder*

translating philosophy in the morning is never great in any language
as a none hardcore classics student... you have no idea :tongue: *shudder*

translating philosophy in the morning is never great in any language

True on both counts. I'm translating Plato's Phaedo as a set text and I prefer to do it when I'm fully awake.
True on both counts. I'm translating Plato's Phaedo as a set text and I prefer to do it when I'm fully awake.

I had to translate Lucretius and Seneca as set texts..... the Seneca was ok... the Lucretius was really annoying

But my teacher's favourite was Lucretius and therefore we were all forced to read it :tongue:
I had to translate Lucretius and Seneca as set texts..... the Seneca was ok... the Lucretius was really annoying

But my teacher's favourite was Lucretius and therefore we were all forced to read it :tongue:

*wince* I myself would not prefer to translate philosophy (especially a small part of it; what's the rest of the argument?!) but it's probably best I get some experience with it.
*wince* I myself would not prefer to translate philosophy (especially a small part of it; what's the rest of the argument?!) but it's probably best I get some experience with it.

Yeah translating epics and stories are much better or some pseudo-academic texts like Strabo's Geographica... yeah as a prospective Classics student you will probs have to translate philosophy a lot. I am glad I am past that stage of my life :tongue:
Yeah translating epics and stories are much better or some pseudo-academic texts like Strabo's Geographica... yeah as a prospective Classics student you will probs have to translate philosophy a lot. I am glad I am past that stage of my life :tongue:

I probably will. Still, for me, the good far outweighs the bad.
I probably will. Still, for me, the good far outweighs the bad.

that's why you are applying to be a classics student :smile: good luck on your applications
Reply 1559
Bit lateee but applied on the 13th and sitting the TSA for chemistry on wednesday (very unprepared, not considering oxford a likely possibility but worth a try)
Which A Levels are you doing? I do IB! HL: Chemistry, Biology and Geography, SL: Maths, English and Spanish
Which course do you plan to apply for? Applied for Chemistry
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? Applied to Merton- accomodation for the duration of the course & just got a really good feel for it on the open day :h:
What are your hobbies? Gym & running pretty much it lol
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day? Revise because the IB offer is pretty grim

Latest

Trending

Trending