The Student Room Group

Being ripped off by take aways. Very small portion sizes.

Should takeaways have standard portion sizes so you know how much you're getting?

I'm totally fed up of the amount of times I've gone to a take away and got an awfully small portion.

I used to go to this Indian I really enjoyed, their lamb madras,it tasted phenomenal :smile: . Often the portion sizes were great, and would over flow the plate when poured on. But in recent times before I stopped going the portions got smaller. The last straw was when I got my lamb madras and when poured onto my rice it barely filled the area of a tea cup!

I've had the same experience with other takeaways too, such as chip shops etc.

The thing is by trade and standards rules, all a takeaway has to do is give you the food you paid for. There is no obligation to standard portion size. They could actually get away with only giving you a single table spoon of curry and rice!

The problem is you don't actually know how much your getting! Containers are filled out of site in a kitchen, and you'd feel uneasy opening the container up before you leave to check its quantity. Not so bad in a restaurant where you can see how much your getting and complain if its not enough.

So should there be standard quantities in takeaways? People should know before they order, exactly what the portion size or weight is! If they don't like it, then don't order!

You go into a supermarket, you can see the weight on tins, or weigh how much fruit or vegetables or meat you buy.

In a pub you buy drink by measure, pint, half pint, single or double measure of spirits etc.

In the butchers you buy meat by the gram.

I think its time takeaways let customers know how much they will get!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Spend your money elsewhere, then.
I've yet to order an indian takeaway that I could finish and I'm a greedy ****er!
I miss the times when you could get 4 wings and chips for a quid.

And don't even get me started on Wispa...
Reply 3
Original post by TheArtofProtest

My childhood meal. An unhealthy one at that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should probably find somewhere else.
My parents have been running a takeaway for well over 5 years, (not too sure when we opened) and we've only changed container sizes once.
Reply 5
Maybe it would be a good idea to just test a few more Indian takeaways to see if you can find something you are happy with. If that doesn't work then you could check out some recipes and probably make your own and save some money at the same time.
Banter.

@ivy.98

Lemme jus say mans opinion yh?

Tbh, the size of the meal ennih should be determined by the relationship u have with bossman cuz.

Think ab it dis way fam. if u learn the tekkers n dat, u increase ur awareness fam, bare fleeky lvl 99 communications lvls.

As a matter of fact bossman will start offerin u a free mirinda orange when P's are tight.

Dis is the way of life fam. Embrace the culture n dat.

1love.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest

Agreed. bare inflation n dat.
Reply 8
Original post by rsgloryandgold
Agreed. bare inflation n dat.

Init. Peezin me az 😎
Original post by Ambitious1999
Should takeaways have standard portion sizes so you know how much you're getting?

I'm totally fed up of the amount of times I've gone to a take away and got an awfully small portion.

I used to go to this Indian I really enjoyed, their lamb madras,it tasted phenomenal :smile: . Often the portion sizes were great, and would over flow the plate when poured on. But in recent times before I stopped going the portions got smaller. The last straw was when I got my lamb madras and when poured onto my rice it barely filled the area of a tea cup!

I've had the same experience with other takeaways too, such as chip shops etc.

The thing is by trade and standards rules, all a takeaway has to do is give you the food you paid for. There is no obligation to standard portion size. They could actually get away with only giving you a single table spoon of curry and rice!

The problem is you don't actually know how much your getting! Containers are filled out of site in a kitchen, and you'd feel uneasy opening the container up before you leave to check its quantity. Not so bad in a restaurant where you can see how much your getting and complain if its not enough.

So should there be standard quantities in takeaways? People should know before they order, exactly what the portion size or weight is! If they don't like it, then don't order!

You go into a supermarket, you can see the weight on tins, or weigh how much fruit or vegetables or meat you buy.

In a pub you buy drink by measure, pint, half pint, single or double measure of spirits etc.

In the butchers you buy meat by the gram.

I think its time takeaways let customers know how much they will get!

Thats nothing. The other day,I ordered kebab and chips and the chips came wrapped in paper, just like that, NO container!!!! I was speechless
Reply 10
Banter.

@ivy.98

Lemme jus say mans opinion yh?

Tbh, the size of the meal ennih should be determined by the relationship u have with bossman cuz.

Think ab it dis way fam. if u learn the tekkers n dat, u increase ur awareness fam, bare fleeky lvl 99 communications lvls.

As a matter of fact bossman will start offerin u a free mirinda orange when P's are tight.

Dis is the way of life fam. Embrace the culture n dat.

1love.

1st world problems right here cuz
i only trust chicken shop boss <3

OP, grow deez nutz and yolo innih
Original post by driftawaay
Thats nothing. The other day,I ordered kebab and chips and the chips came wrapped in paper, just like that, NO container!!!! I was speechless

idk what ends u live but thats pretty standard fam.

don't expect dis kind of service cuz from a takeaway. Bossman got no time to holla @Gucci for their designs fam.

Sponsored by Chicken Cottage
c

Original post by ivy.98
1st world problems right here cuz
i only trust chicken shop boss <3

OP, grow deez nutz and yolo innih

Jheeeze u know fam! <3

Alie OP is expectin some 5* tekkers out of their local chicken cottage. Lmao
idk what ends u live but thats pretty standard fam.

don't expect dis kind of service cuz from a takeaway. Bossman got no time to holla @Gucci for their designs fam.

Sponsored by Chicken Cottage

No, that is not standard at all... other takeaways put them on a plastic plate or a container. Putting chips on a piece of paper and wrapping it up is disgusting, all of it was stuck to the paper.
Original post by driftawaay
No, that is not standard at all... other takeaways put them on a plastic plate or a container. Putting chips on a piece of paper and wrapping it up is disgusting, all of it was stuck to the paper.

Well, Man knows his takeaways (i'm certified road), so my opinions means it fam.

In my ends we either have that yellowish container thing, paper or this

Rah 2 many yutes here expectin Gordon ramsey tekkers from a chicken cottage, smh:rofl:

Bruv i guranteee these lot are some white middle class yutes that got introduced to stormzy fam, now on that roadman wave and complainin ab mans lifestyle.

Cut yard :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending