The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Struggling to get to Royal Holloway location, any advice?

Hello, i have been invited to an applicants day at RH yesterday, however i live in Corby, Northampton-shire and can't drive so i will be relying on public transport. My worry is that i have NEVER been in such a big city as London. I have checked some forms of transport, and if i go by train it seems i will need to get from London Pancreas to Waterloo station and then to Egham. I believe i will get lost if i go on my own and so will anyone i know including my parents.

Does anyone have any advice how can i get there? i am really panicking.
Just set out early so you can afford to be careful with the tube lines. Follow the signs in the stations and don't let the general rush of London and Londoners carry you with it!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Don'tworryME
Hello, i have been invited to an applicants day at RH yesterday, however i live in Corby, Northampton-shire and can't drive so i will be relying on public transport. My worry is that i have NEVER been in such a big city as London. I have checked some forms of transport, and if i go by train it seems i will need to get from London Pancreas to Waterloo station and then to Egham. I believe i will get lost if i go on my own and so will anyone i know including my parents.

Does anyone have any advice how can i get there? i am really panicking.

Please try not to worry.

Once you get to St. Pancreas, you can take the tube from the King's Cross St. Pancreas tube station to Waterloo. You'll need to take the Piccadilly Line (Westbound) to Leicester Square and then switch onto the Northern Line (Southbound) to Waterloo. The tube should take around 15-20 mins, but if you're worried then I'd suggest that you allow yourself plenty of time. If you get to Waterloo early, then there are lots of places that you can grab a coffee. From there, take the Reading train, which stops in Egham.

The train from Waterloo to Egham takes around 40 mins and we'll have our Student Ambassadors ready to greet you at the train station and direct you to our shuttle bus to campus.

To check exact times (particular the train from Waterloo to Egham as times sometimes vary) look at National Rail or at City mapper.

I understand that it can sometimes be a little overwhelming when travelling through London for the first time, but I hope that helps to put your mind at ease!

Camilla :smile:
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Please try not to worry.

Once you get to St. Pancreas, you can take the tube from the King's Cross St. Pancreas tube station to Waterloo. You'll need to take the Piccadilly Line (Westbound) to Leicester Square and then switch onto the Northern Line (Southbound) to Waterloo. The tube should take around 15-20 mins, but if you're worried then I'd suggest that you allow yourself plenty of time. If you get to Waterloo early, then there are lots of places that you can grab a coffee. From there, take the Reading train, which stops in Egham.

The train from Waterloo to Egham takes around 40 mins and we'll have our Student Ambassadors ready to greet you at the train station and direct you to our shuttle bus to campus.

To check exact times (particular the train from Waterloo to Egham as times sometimes vary) look at National Rail or at City mapper.

I understand that it can sometimes be a little overwhelming when travelling through London for the first time, but I hope that helps to put your mind at ease!

Ah, i can't get to RH before 11 unfortunately and the session starts at 10 in the morning, it's just too early for me. It seems if i won't be able to arrange personal transport then i will have to decline the invitation. My offer only states the grade requirements, will it be a problem if i won't be able to attend?
Original post by Don'tworryME
Ah, i can't get to RH before 11 unfortunately and the session starts at 10 in the morning, it's just too early for me. It seems if i won't be able to arrange personal transport then i will have to decline the invitation. My offer only states the grade requirements, will it be a problem if i won't be able to attend?

Arriving at 11 is really no worry at all. Generally if you already hold an offer, the morning activities and talks at our Applicant Visit Days focus on the University in general, allowing you to take a campus tour, view our accommodation or go to a number of information sessions. These are in a 'drop in' style, and arriving at 11 would still allow you ample time to explore our campus and your department.

Departmental activities usually start at lunch time, and these allow for deeper exploration of your chosen course and facilities.

If your offer only includes grade requirements, then it would not be mandatory that you attend, however applicants do generally find these days to be extremely beneficial helping them to decide whether they want to firm Royal Holloway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending