The Student Room Group

Working nights at Asda?

I've recently applied to Asda to work nights.

I've been looking around the internet and discovered that I'm not allowed to work nights because I'm 17. However, my friends tell me that that law is rarely enforced, and they'll probably give me the night shifts anyway.

Can someone shed more light onto this for me? Are those rules relaxed or really strict?
Reply 1
Strict, it's the law, ASDA would be in big trouble if the authorities found out. So it's a no brainer. This is coming from someone who used to be in charge of recruitment in my ASDA store. :smile:
Reply 2
What are the wages for working nights in ASDA?
Reply 3
depends on ur age. 16-18s are called young night workers but the hours are like.....5pm-11pm. I'd call that evening work but becz of the age its called young night worker and u get the option to have an extra 15mins break.
Reply 4
bond002
What are the wages for working nights in ASDA?
5.88 is the day rate, and between 12 and 6 it is 8.82 (I think), and between 10 and 12 it's 7.05. I think. Something like that.
Reply 5
Montrose
Strict, it's the law, ASDA would be in big trouble if the authorities found out. So it's a no brainer. This is coming from someone who used to be in charge of recruitment in my ASDA store. :smile:

So will they tell me this, and get me to choose other hours if I make it past the group selection process?

Also, how easy is it to get time off? I'll be having to go around the country for university open days, and obviously that has priority.
Reply 6
They should tell you this, and if you get past group selection, they may offer you a job on another department if there any vacancies. If there aren't they will hold your application.

You get 21 'days' off each year (done pro rate....if you work 15 hours a week, yuou get the equivalent of about 60 hours a year). You have to book holiday 4 weeks in advance, although they're also quite good as they'll let you swap shifts with someone if you can find someone.
Reply 7
One more question, is it time and a half or double time for sunday work?
Reply 8
No.
i wish i got paid more than £4.50 for working evening hours (think 10pm till 4am or longer) *considers applying to asda*
Reply 10
xXMessedUpXx
i wish i got paid more than £4.50 for working evening hours (think 10pm till 4am or longer) *considers applying to asda*

I know it's the same at Sainsburies, I presume the same is true for Tesco. To be honest, msot night employers pay more, so if you're onyl getting £4.50 they're taking advantage of you.

Latest

Trending

Trending