The Student Room Group

Welcome to the University of Cambridge forum

Hello and welcome to the University of Cambridge Forum!

Throughout the year this space will be used to host threads, managed by a variety of members of staff, looking at topics surrounding the University of Cambridge. We will primarily be focusing on admissions information and guidance, to support those of you considering making an application to the University, however we are also keen to hear your thoughts on what topics you would like us to cover.

Later in the year we will be hosting a number of sessions, where you can ask questions about specific elements of the University, but this thread is an opportunity for you to let us know what you want from our TSR users. If there is an area of the University that you are unsure about, or a topic that you feel would be great to discuss, let us know by posting below!

Finally, congratulations to those of you that have received offers to study with us! You may find it useful to join in the discussions taking place in the College sub-forums, as these are a great way to get a better overview of the College before you arrive.

Matt
Cambridge Admissions Office
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
what's better, oxford or cambridge?

be honest
Reply 2
Original post by University of Cambridge

Throughout the year this space will be used to host threads, managed by a variety of members of staff, looking at topics surrounding the University of Cambridge. We will primarily be focusing on admissions information and guidance, to support those of you considering making an application to the University, however we are also keen to hear your thoughts on what topics you would like us to cover.

Later in the year we will be hosting a number of sessions, where you can ask questions about specific elements of the University, but this thread is an opportunity for you to let us know what you want from our TSR users. If there is an area of the University that you are unsure about, or a topic that you feel would be great to discuss, let us know by posting below!

Finally, congratulations to those of you that have received offers to study with us! You may find it useful to join in the discussions taking place in the College sub-forums, as these are a great way to get a better overview of the College before you arrive.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I am very confused at the moment. Just wondering if you could help me out.

I'm 26 now. I passed my IGCSEs 11 years ago with 1A, 4Bs and 3Cs - with A in English and B in Mathematics. Passed my A-Level 9 years ago with D in Chemistry, C in Maths and B in Physics.I am currently enrolled in access to HE diploma in medicine.Would my A-Level grades, from 9 years ago, be considered if I apply to study medine in Cambridge on the basis of the ACCESS COURSE, as a mature student? Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Original post by Shehzads
Hi Matt,

I am very confused at the moment. Just wondering if you could help me out.

I'm 26 now. I passed my IGCSEs 11 years ago with 1A, 4Bs and 3Cs - with A in English and B in Mathematics. Passed my A-Level 9 years ago with D in Chemistry, C in Maths and B in Physics.I am currently enrolled in access to HE diploma in medicine.Would my A-Level grades, from 9 years ago, be considered if I apply to study medine in Cambridge on the basis of the ACCESS COURSE, as a mature student? Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi,

The Admissions Tutor, from Lucy Cavendish, is running a thread aimed at students applying aged 21 and over. They should be able to help answer your question.

Matt
Reply 4
Hi,

The Admissions Tutor, from Lucy Cavendish, is running a thread aimed at students applying aged 21 and over. They should be able to help answer your question.

Matt

Thank you :smile:
Hi,

I am international student looking to apply for the Medicine course in October. I'm currently studying my AS-levels in the UK and I do have a set of grades that are (somewhat but not entirely) equivalent to that of GCSEs in the UK. It's actually an internal school assessment and not a national examination. In my case, will you encourage me to sit for the AS exams in May and June? Thank you.
Dear Cambridge,

I hope this finds you well.

I was thinking about possibly applying to Cambridge to do History and French.
My GCSEs are:
English Language: A* (iGCSE)
English Literature: A* (iGCSE)
French: A* (iGCSE)
Italian: A* (GCSE)
Biology: A* (iGCSE)
History: A (iGCSE)
Maths: A (iGCSE)
Physics: B (iGCSE)
Music: B (iGCSE)

- Will the A, not A*, in iGCSE History put me at a disadvantage when applying?

- Is it true that Cambridge only take into account an applicant's top 8 GCSE grades?

- My college doesn't offer AS Levels at the end of year 12. I read that Cambridge put more emphasis on these grades than GCSEs. What will these mean for an applicant without them?

- Will the 2Bs at GCSE hinder my application to the extent it is not worth applying?

I am privately educated and do not have extenuating circumstances.

Thank you very much in advance for the advice. It will be most appreciated.
Reply 7
Hey Matt, could you please help me with my thoughts on applying for computer science at Cambridge? Would be really grateful!

Little about me first,
I am 17, just finished year 12 and now going to start A2.

In AS I got 300/300 in maths, 274/300 in further maths, A in physics and A in computer science. [Got 88/100 ums in mechanics 2 so I feel retake this next year or remark it]

Took part in the UKMT every year and got mostly silvers and golds. Got into the kangaroo twice and did one Olympiad.

In GCSE, I got 1 A^ in further maths, 6 A*s and 4 As

I am going to study further maths, maths and computer science at A2.

In terms of programming I am fluent in Python but know no other language.

Initially I was going to apply for pure maths at university however after a long debate with myself I have realised that I would enjoy computer science more as I've always loved computing. Maths was just something that I was really good at.

I want to apply for computer science at Cambridge however I know that I must sit the CSAT. This test seems easier than MAT and STEP. I've completed all 25 step support assignments and 1 module in A2 maths on the summer so I feel as if I have a good foundation. [I think imperial requires candidates to sit MAT for computer science]

I am now wondering what I should do in order to further improve my chances at getting a place to study computer science at Cambridge. I am obviously going to the CSAT past papers in preparation along with MAT as I think it may be required however are there any books I should read (never read a book in my free time in my life)? Or any work experience I should look for? Or just advice or information regarding computer science at uni?

Thanks in advance!
I think some advice on personal statement writing, voluntary work etc. would be good.
Would 5A*s and 4As 2Bs be good enough for medicine at Cambridge? Ive really set my heart to go there but I feel like my GCSEs will hold me back . I intend to get the needed requirement for Alevels and try my hardest at BMAT UKAT .
How much weight do GCSEs have on Cambridge as AS Levels aren't done in all schools anymore?
Reply 11
Original post by no2573571
Dear Cambridge,

I hope this finds you well.

I was thinking about possibly applying to Cambridge to do History and French.
My GCSEs are:
English Language: A* (iGCSE)
English Literature: A* (iGCSE)
French: A* (iGCSE)
Italian: A* (GCSE)
Biology: A* (iGCSE)
History: A (iGCSE)
Maths: A (iGCSE)
Physics: B (iGCSE)
Music: B (iGCSE)

- Will the A, not A*, in iGCSE History put me at a disadvantage when applying?

- Is it true that Cambridge only take into account an applicant's top 8 GCSE grades?

- My college doesn't offer AS Levels at the end of year 12. I read that Cambridge put more emphasis on these grades than GCSEs. What will these mean for an applicant without them?

- Will the 2Bs at GCSE hinder my application to the extent it is not worth applying?

I am privately educated and do not have extenuating circumstances.

Thank you very much in advance for the advice. It will be most appreciated.

Original post by Mmkay
Hey Matt, could you please help me with my thoughts on applying for computer science at Cambridge? Would be really grateful!

Little about me first,
I am 17, just finished year 12 and now going to start A2.

In AS I got 300/300 in maths, 274/300 in further maths, A in physics and A in computer science. [Got 88/100 ums in mechanics 2 so I feel retake this next year or remark it]

Took part in the UKMT every year and got mostly silvers and golds. Got into the kangaroo twice and did one Olympiad.

In GCSE, I got 1 A^ in further maths, 6 A*s and 4 As

I am going to study further maths, maths and computer science at A2.

In terms of programming I am fluent in Python but know no other language.

Initially I was going to apply for pure maths at university however after a long debate with myself I have realised that I would enjoy computer science more as I've always loved computing. Maths was just something that I was really good at.

I want to apply for computer science at Cambridge however I know that I must sit the CSAT. This test seems easier than MAT and STEP. I've completed all 25 step support assignments and 1 module in A2 maths on the summer so I feel as if I have a good foundation. [I think imperial requires candidates to sit MAT for computer science]

I am now wondering what I should do in order to further improve my chances at getting a place to study computer science at Cambridge. I am obviously going to the CSAT past papers in preparation along with MAT as I think it may be required however are there any books I should read (never read a book in my free time in my life)? Or any work experience I should look for? Or just advice or information regarding computer science at uni?

Thanks in advance!

Original post by lightbulb22
Would 5A*s and 4As 2Bs be good enough for medicine at Cambridge? Ive really set my heart to go there but I feel like my GCSEs will hold me back . I intend to get the needed requirement for Alevels and try my hardest at BMAT UKAT .

For admissions advice ask the tutor in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4896414
Ask an Admissions Tutor XII (22 August - 22 September)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

I am closing this thread for now. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending