The Student Room Group

Cold start without driving?

My dad's gone abroad and has asked me to look after the car by starting it but I don't think he considered I'm not old enough to drive yet. Any advice as to how I can look after it best without driving it at all? It's an automatic 2014 mercedes-benz E220 (with 10k miles if that matters...?). Temperatures hitting -6 btw
Reply 1
He asked you to start the car not drive it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sandvika
He asked you to start the car not drive it

Posted from TSR Mobile

This has gotta be a troll
Ever heard of a thing called communication?
Original post by Moeen25
My dad's gone abroad and has asked me to look after the car by starting it but I don't think he considered I'm not old enough to drive yet. Any advice as to how I can look after it best without driving it at all? It's an automatic 2014 mercedes-benz E220 (with 10k miles if that matters...?). Temperatures hitting -6 btw

Remember to keep it in park with the parking brake on, don't try shifting gears. Also, don't just run it for a couple of seconds then stop - let it go for 15-20 minutes or so every few days.

Keep an eye on the battery gauge - don't try starting the engine as soon as you switch on the ignition - let the gauge settle first, or you risk running the battery down.

Feel free to gently push the revs up (make sure you're in Park first!) to 3-4000 a few times. Not for too long, only a few seconds at a time, and no need to go any higher. Give the heating a bit of a blast, don't try spraying the windshield straight away if it's iced up - you can damage the washer fluid nozzles if they're blocked with ice.

Remember, if you're uninsured, you risk it getting seized and crushed if you take it out on the roads - the ANPR systems run by the police will automatically flag a car as stolen if the insured driver(s) are out of the country. Good luck explaining that one when daddy comes home.

To be honest, unless he's going for several weeks, I really don't see much point in it. Ideally, you'd take it for a decent run - at least 30 miles. But you don't have that option. We used to live abroad - spend half our time here, half our time there. 2 cars for each, and we'd just leave them for a couple of months with the batteries in the boot until we got back. Never had a problem.

If you are going to start it up, then remember that turning the engine over will use up quite a lot of battery power. You need to leave the car running for enough time that the alternator will recharge the battery before turning it off.

Do you know how the car works? We just got a new C class and it's got a very strange layout - certain things need to be pressed in order to get things to work, there's no handbrake and the gear selector doesn't have any physical positions.

If he's only going for a few days - to a week or so, I'd just leave it be.
Reply 5
Also, don't start the car and then go inside and leave it for 15 minutes - you are just asking for it to be stolen. You need to remain with it the entire time.
Reply 6
He's been gone for over a month and will be gone for another 2 weeks. I've been doing this so far. Jump in, start and leave it in park. Idle for 1 minute then rev to 2500 rpm(think it redlines at 8000 rpm). I them pump the brakes and put the heating on. Move the steering a little. Repeat this for 15-30 minutes. I've been doing this for a few years now whenever he goes abroad. Thanks for the advice, maybe need to push a little harder and don't worry. I may be 16 but I'm not so immature to the extent that I'd drive on the road.oh and Plus the car is push to start so I can't really control how that works
Reply 7
Original post by Moeen25
Move the steering a little.

I would leave the steering alone really.
Reply 8
Point out where I said I'd drive it. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, I have no intention of driving, just warming it up and keep it running smooth for when he gets back.
Reply 9
Original post by Talon
I would leave the steering alone really.

Fair enough. Thank you
Yes
Moving the wheels while stationary just scrubs the tyres and has no benefit.
The oil needs to get hot or you will introduce condensation into the system
Same as cars used on short runs should have more frequent oil changes

Run the ac on cold for 10 mins then on hot for 10 you need to keep the seals lubricated by it working. Finishing on hot kills the bugs in the system.

I used to do the same for my girlfriend's car when she was abroad, I would run the car for 20 mins then drive it on a private road ( no good for you) but she was away for longer periods
A month or so is nothing
If my 55 plate Micra can cope with being left in the cold few a few weeks without driving, surely a 14 plate Merc can? 🙈
And also, watch out for carbon monoxide if you're just sitting with it stationary. A 14' E class has very good emissions data, not as bad as perhaps some older cars, but especially if you're going to be sitting with the engine going for half an hour, I suggest you go inside for a short while for a break - lock the car though. If you're in a garage, definitely open the door.
Original post by XMaramena
And also, watch out for carbon monoxide if you're just sitting with it stationary. ..... If you're in a garage, definitely open the door.
What did you tell him that for? Do you not believe in Darwinism?
Original post by mphysical
What did you tell him that for? Do you not believe in Darwinism?

lol
Reply 15
Best thing to do to store a car is to dump the engine oil and refill with fresh. Old oil eats white metal bearings. You could also put it up on axle stands to stop the tyres developing flat spots.
Reply 16
Given that he is only away for another two weeks I would just leave it alone and admire it from the house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending