The Student Room Group

Does it matter if I give up Further Maths? (Not part of my offer)

I am doing Physics, Chem, Maths and Further Maths, and have received six offers for Physics, of either ABB or AAB. I am self teaching for the Further Maths, as I thought it would be great preparation, but realise, belatedly, that I have not been able to get through the material as well as I thought I would, and prolly only feel confident about two of the six modules.

So does it matter if I give up Further Maths? Do I have to tell UCAS? Do I have to tell the unis?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
If you put it down on your UCAS form, then yes, it matters, and unis could change their offers if you drop it. They're very unlikely to do so if it's not one of your conditions, but you still need to tell them. Get in touch with the unis you have offers from first, and if they have no problem with you dropping it, then tell UCAS and all unis you haven't declined/been rejected by of the change.
Reply 2
It'll also speed things up when the results are out - they'll be waiting for a result that they'll never get!
Yes, you do need to tell them. If you've already chosen your firm and insurance, just tell those 2, otherwise tell all 6, and UCAS. It's possible that they could increase your offers, but hopefully they won't.
Yeah I have this thing at the moment. It won't matter because I could get an E/fail and wouldn't be breaking the UCAS contract, I just wouldn't want to do so. So I'm writing to my uni at the moment to ask them if it's ok if I decline it if I don't like the grade (which they said is as bad as dropping it). So for the moment keep it because regardless of whether it forms part of the offer you still wrote it down.
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I am going to email the admissions tutor of the uni that I am going to firm, and see what she says.

When I went to the physics open days, no one else was doing Further Maths, so hopefully my dropping it will not cause too much of a furore. Even if they increase the offer and ask for a grade A Maths, I'm ok with this, as I am expecting to get A for Maths anyway.

As for Further Maths, I will take just two modules as I have studied for them, and I may take the others later - just to be a glutton for punishment, and so I can say, one day, that I have Further Maths.
I'm fairly confident they'll be fine with it - but could you perhaps take FM as just an AS-level? If things haven't changed since I took it, they'll combine your modules in such a way as to get you the best possible grade in both Maths and FM, so you might still be able to get a good AS grade that way, at least?
I would contact the universities and ask what their opinion on the situation is.

I contacted Notts a while back and asked what their opinion was if I dropped my statistics course. They didn't give a damn, as stats doesn't have a thing to do with my history degree.
I did drop the full F Maths, but took one module of it, M3, and passed. Leeds and UCAS were fine about it, and I did get an A in Maths.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending