The Student Room Group

Applying for Vet Med 2024 with results already

Hi,
my daughter has a place at a local University to do Vet Med, she needed an A & 2 B's, it was the only offer she had. She had deferred entry until Sept 24. She actually got 3 A's (Maths, Chemistry & Biology) and is now wondering whether to apply again further from home - which is her preference. This would mean giving up her local place and starting again. She has all the right animal experience etc. Previously got an interview at Liverpool but no offer and a straight 'no' from Nottingham. Is this a big risk - or should she go for it in the hope that her known grades will help a lot ? Any thoughts welcome - thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Sunshine246
Hi,
my daughter has a place at a local University to do Vet Med, she needed an A & 2 B's, it was the only offer she had. She had deferred entry until Sept 24. She actually got 3 A's (Maths, Chemistry & Biology) and is now wondering whether to apply again further from home - which is her preference. This would mean giving up her local place and starting again. She has all the right animal experience etc. Previously got an interview at Liverpool but no offer and a straight 'no' from Nottingham. Is this a big risk - or should she go for it in the hope that her known grades will help a lot ? Any thoughts welcome - thank you.

Hi, congratulations on the grades and a place at vet school for your daughter. Personally I think it’s a big risk to give up the place as her grades are just one part of the whole process . You have the unknown of SJT, interviews etc and although she could get an offer from another vet school, she could also end up with none.
I would advise against this. If the main reason being is to be a bit further from home, can she not just live in halls and only come home during xmas and summer, as most students do?

The applicant to offer ratio can exceed 11:1 in veterinary medicine, so it is a huge risk. Many of her competitors will be predicted (or have achieved) the same or better grades than what she has achieved, so no one can guarantee that she will get another offer. In fact, seeing as she only received one offer when she applied before, it is very possible she will end up with none.

It is of course also possible that she may be viewed as a more competitive applicant, but is this really worth the risk, just to move further away from home? She may lose her place at veterinary school for almost no reason.

For me, a guaranteed place at veterinary school is not worth giving up for any reason. But your daughter knows what she wants, and maybe for her it is worth it to try. I hope my advice helps, but this should not be a rushed decision!
Another vote for don’t risk it. Assuming becoming a vet is her dream, she has that opportunity guaranteed atm. If she leaves that offer, she may never become a vet. Many good quality applicants need one or more rounds to get any offers, and having the grades already doesn’t increase her chances over applicants applying in Year 13 even if it does expand the pool she could’ve applied to. Liverpool actually offers everyone that meets the minimum requirements an interview, so it may be even more risky that she did not get through to interview stage with Nottingham who is form heavy as a lot of other vet schools are similar (although they all look for different things). That’s not me putting her down, it’s great she got one offer (it took me 2 application rounds to get 1 offer and that’s all you need) but just some food for thought that the risk of not getting offers again is real.

Vet students pretty much always end up loving where they end up at even if it wasn’t their “ideal”. As above even though she is close to home she can always just live in the accommodation other students live in and not come back home loads - personally I also didn’t want to be close to home as I felt my parents would pressure me to come home very often and not give me my freedom, is this perhaps why she wants to move further? Is there a way you can reassure her there is no pressure for her to be at home loads and she can live like an independent student?
Reply 4
Thanks for all your advice - she did indeed reapply but with the knowledge that as she was on the Pathways course for Bristol they had to offer her again, which they did. So she may well end up at Bristol but has given herself a chance to try for other Uni's too. I agree wherever she goes she will have a great time - so time will tell. There is no pressure on her to come home at all - so that's not an issue - she's keen to explore other parts of the country which I totally get. Thanks again for responding.
Reply 5
Original post by Sunshine246
Thanks for all your advice - she did indeed reapply but with the knowledge that as she was on the Pathways course for Bristol they had to offer her again, which they did. So she may well end up at Bristol but has given herself a chance to try for other Uni's too. I agree wherever she goes she will have a great time - so time will tell. There is no pressure on her to come home at all - so that's not an issue - she's keen to explore other parts of the country which I totally get. Thanks again for responding.

hi do you mind me asking how she got an offer with lower grades.
Reply 6
Original post by lizzieec

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/outreach/post-16/access/

Hi, she did an Access course at our local Uni which is Bristol - have copied details above. I think quite a lot of Uni’s do this to attract local students. She did the course when she was at school.
Hope that helps.
Reply 7
Original post by lizzieec

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/outreach/post-16/access/

She did an access course at Bristol Uni, have shared details above - this can get you a lower offer. You need to be fairly local though to qualify.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending