The Student Room Group

Art Foundation Course 2016 entry

In 2015 I've finished studying my A2 English Language and Photography, and I'm now in the second year of doing my Sociology. After sending my UCAS application off in December I had a complete change of heart in what I wanted to study. I have now applied to do a Foundation course at Loughborough university, however I'm worried that I'll be put at a disadvantage as I only have a photography portfolio and not an art one. I only received an invitation from the uni two days ago for the 8th Feb. I don't think two weeks is enough to time create a decent art portfolio, so my question is has anyone been in my position and still been successful? Also how can I improve on a portfolio in two weeks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krissy1997
In 2015 I've finished studying my A2 English Language and Photography, and I'm now in the second year of doing my Sociology. After sending my UCAS application off in December I had a complete change of heart in what I wanted to study. I have now applied to do a Foundation course at Loughborough university, however I'm worried that I'll be put at a disadvantage as I only have a photography portfolio and not an art one. I only received an invitation from the uni two days ago for the 8th Feb. I don't think two weeks is enough to time create a decent art portfolio, so my question is has anyone been in my position and still been successful? Also how can I improve on a portfolio in two weeks?

One of the purposes of an art foundation is to give you the time, resources and guidance to create a portfolio in preparation for a degree. So a limited portfolio at application shouldn't be a problem as long as shows your potential.

Make sure you include initial research/experiments and notes showing how you developed ideas - with photography that won't be the same as for a traditional art portfolio but you should have the materials for that.

It might be worth asking if you can delay your interview. And putting some time in between now and then to build up a sketch book and maybe something in a media other than photos. It will be a few busy evenings and weekends but should be possible.

Hi Krissy!

I understand your worry, as I was in a similar situation when I first applied for a foundation as well. To give you some background I was a fine art student with no digital skills who applied for a foundation at a heavy digital based college. I am now a third year animation student at Ravensbourne who stayed on to complete my degree cause I enjoyed it so much. :smile:

When applying I noticed that it was all digital and did not feel my portfolio was up to scratch, especially cause I had no experience with anything digital, including cameras and Photoshop. I was worried that I would not get a place, however after going for the interview and speaking with them after, they said although you did not have any evidence of digital work, I see potential.

Especially for a foundation, it is a year for you to work on your skills and decide what pathway you would like to go down. As long as you put in the work, show you are enthusiastic and you are willing to try out different things. I learnt a lot of the basic software skills during my foundation, so enjoy it to the fullest :biggrin:

As PQ was saying you should also consider what you can do to take your photography further as this shows initiative. For example using the photos you take and re working into them with pens, pencils etc. Show a thought process, a development through your skills and ideas. Also lots of observational drawings quick or long ones, gives them a sense of you looking and observing the world around

Hope this helps!
Jay :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Krissy, I had an interview on that day too, have you heard anything back?
Reply 4
They offered me a place on Thursday! I'm sure you'll get an offer too! :biggrin:
They offered me a place on Thursday! I'm sure you'll get an offer too! :biggrin:

Congratulations!
Reply 6
Original post by Rhi-rose
Hi Krissy, I had an interview on that day too, have you heard anything back?

Have you heard anything yet?
Reply 7
Have you heard anything yet?

They offered me a place on Thursday too😄
Reply 8
They offered me a place on Thursday too😄

Congratulations! 😁 is it going to be your first choice?
Reply 9
Congratulations! 😁 is it going to be your first choice?

Yes it is, is it going to be yours? 😊
Reply 10
Yes it is, is it going to be yours? 😊

It probably will be, but I have an interview next month for the London College of fashion so I'll see how that goes. We were probably in the same tour at Loughborough on the 8th :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Congratulations!

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 12
It probably will be, but I have an interview next month for the London College of fashion so I'll see how that goes. We were probably in the same tour at Loughborough on the 8th :smile:

Good luck, we probably were, what time were you there? 😊
Reply 13
Good luck, we probably were, what time were you there? 😊

My assessment was at 2pm
Reply 14
My assessment was at 2pm

So was mine so we were on the same tour 😊
Reply 15
So was mine so we were on the same tour 😊

What a coincidence 😂 I was the girl who was with my dad, if you remember.
Reply 16
What a coincidence 😂 I was the girl who was with my dad, if you remember.

I do remember, I was the girl on her own, I think I asked you if you were waiting for the assessments 😊
Reply 17
Hi, I'm starting a Facebook chat for any Foundation art students for 2016, I was just checking to see if you'd like to be added too 😊
Reply 18
Hi, I'm starting a Facebook chat for any Foundation art students for 2016, I was just checking to see if you'd like to be added too 😊

Yeah sure, thanks
Reply 19
Hello all,
I have currently got offers from Kingston and UCA Epsom (still waiting on UAL Camberwell). I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experiences with these uni's as I am having a tough time trying to decide what to do.
Much appreciated ^.^

Quick Reply

Latest