The Student Room Group

Economics or English Lit A level?

Thinking about doing Economics at A level, I got a B in my English lit and maths exams last year? How maths based is economics and will I be okay to take it if I don't do maths as another a level option? Also which one will be better suited if I want to do law and my other 3 A level options are philosophy, government and politics and history?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by lucybridge
Thinking about doing Economics at A level, I got a B in my English lit and maths exams last year? How maths based is economics and will I be okay to take it if I don't do maths as another a level option? Also which one will be better suited if I want to do law and my other 3 A level options are philosophy, government and politics and history?

I personally think English would fit rather well with your other three options. However, a word of warning; English Lit can get extremely tedious just at AS.
I'm currently doing both English Lit and Economics at AS (including Maths and Politics), and personally I prefer Economics 10 times over.

Economics is very enjoyable once you understand it. At first it was a blur, but I revised incessantly, and now it seems rather easy.

Generally though, I would pick Economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
I do English lit and I love it! One of my best friends does it alongside history and she says it helps her massively with writing essays, and she can write a lot more than me in the allocated times due to the repetitive practice!
Reply 4

I take Economics (currently AS) and can tell you it's hardly contained maths at all yet. All we've done is simple percentage change calculations. It's a really interesting subject, by far my most enjoyable. However I've never enjoyed English so I can't tell you fairly which one to do.

economics has lots of theories to understand and u have to memorise them by heart
there are also lots of application, and u have to remember the points in the mark schemes
u also have to write essays for economics in AS, and even more in A2
so if u hate analysing and evaluating, u won't enjoy economics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics! The new exams are supposed to be 20% quantitative skills but it's really basic maths.
I was going to do Economics at A-Level but had to switch as I did not get an A in maths, I really like English Lit despite it being challenging it's a very renowned subject. My friend's do Economics and they still find it difficult.

Law at uni is notorious for being having to read morbid, dull, tedious texts. English Lit will prepare you greatly for this! Not to say English is any of those. But, 100% guaranteed you will not like all the books you will read. But unfortunately, you'd have to study all of them anyway. This gives you some good practice of reading vasts amounts of texts that can be very boring - which is what Law is supposedly like at uni.

I study English Lit now and yes, there are texts I can't stand. But within any subject, you'll find some texts/modules/units more unbearable than others.

However, I'd say Lit is more better just because it will give you skills that will be more transferable at uni. Economics will be useful if you are interested in Business, Advertisment or Commerical Law though. You will look at trends and etc in those Law groups.

Quick Reply

Latest