The Student Room Group

Gcse

Hi i was just wondering whether these gcses are good enouth for computer science at oxford?

Gcse's:

Maths a*
Dual science:b,a*
Geography a
Polish a*
Computing a*
English c
Re c

Igcse:
Futher maths a*
Reply 1
A*s are good but Cs may hinder your chances at getting a place. They require as many A*s as possible and some As
Original post by anonymouss2
Hi i was just wondering whether these gcses are good enouth for computer science at oxford?

Gcse's:

Maths a*
Geography a
Polish a*
Computing a*
English c
Re c

Igcse:
Futher maths a*

The most important thing is that you do well in the MAT and at interview.
Your GCSEs are alright (according to this the av. comp sic applicant in 2010 had 4.43 A*s at GCSE - making you the average applicant but probably a bit below the average SUCCESSFUL applicant), though I wouldn't say good enough to make you a shoe in for an interview. So make sure your personal statement is A****** and then once you get to the interviews it's just about how you perform there.
Reply 4
What about cambridge?
Reply 5
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Your GCSEs are alright (according to this the av. comp sic applicant in 2010 had 4.43 A*s at GCSE - making you the average applicant but probably a bit below the average SUCCESSFUL applicant), though I wouldn't say good enough to make you a shoe in for an interview. So make sure your personal statement is A****** and then once you get to the interviews it's just about how you perform there.

How would it be below if i got 5 a*
How would it be below if i got 5 a*

Because the average successful applicant usually has a few more GCSEs than the average applicant. Which is why I said you are the average applicant but probably below average successful applicant.
If you are really interested then definitely apply, I only got 4 a* at GCSE and I received an offer. Make sure you do well in the MAT though.
Reply 8
Original post by Dumbledoge
If you are really interested then definitely apply, I only got 4 a* at GCSE and I received an offer. Make sure you do well in the MAT though.

Thanks ,in what subjects did you get those a* and what course did you apply for?
Thanks ,in what subjects did you get those a* and what course did you apply for?

Maths, Physics, Computing, Biology and i got in for straight computer science

Gcse's:

Maths a*
Geography a
Polish a*
Computing a*
English c
Re c

Igcse:
Futher maths a*

Your grades are fine. They're at the bottom end of what we see from successful candidates. But, contrary to folk-lore, we don't put a huge amount of weight on GCSEs, as they're not a particularly good predictor for Computer Science. And you mostly have A*s in the right places. As Plagioclase says, the most important things are the MAT and the interviews. You would need to score a few extra marks on the MAT compared to somebody with more A*s -- but not a huge number more.

Gavin

Gcse's:

Maths a*
Geography a
Polish a*
Computing a*
English c
Re c

Igcse:
Futher maths a*

I am in year 9 and I saw that you got an a* in computing. Could you tell me what you had to do in computing as I can't decide whether I should do it or not. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending