The Student Room Group

3rd Feb: Talking About Trans

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was out so missed it but probably won't bother based on that review. I can't help be sceptical in the fact they choose to include the views of someone currently finding things tough (not at all judging odd socks) rather than something more positive. I kind of want the media to get over being trans being interesting now. I remember wishing there was anything accepting in mainstream media at all so it's nice that's now my complaint but I really do think we as now at the point where we need to get past that approach to talking about being trans.
Original post by BKS
I was out so missed it but probably won't bother based on that review. I can't help be sceptical in the fact they choose to include the views of someone currently finding things tough (not at all judging odd socks) rather than something more positive. I kind of want the media to get over being trans being interesting now. I remember wishing there was anything accepting in mainstream media at all so it's nice that's now my complaint but I really do think we as now at the point where we need to get past that approach to talking about being trans.

They were a little short on questions sometimes but there was SO MUCH scope for more nuanced discussion that they didn't bother to go into. For instance, someone asked what sex you date once you've transitioned - that would've been a nice opportunity to pick up on your earlier comment about having been with gay guys (so you don't have to be "gay to straight" to be trans in the way that I have as an FTM attracted to women - or "straight to gay", as I imagine the misconception goes).

I felt really sorry for Evie, who wasn't really properly introduced. The boys were evidently invited because they'd produced the documentary, but it wasn't clear why she was there and she wasn't given much opportunity to talk about her experiences on a more personal level.

If you've got FOMO, perhaps have it on for background noise, but I'd give it a 4/10. I wouldn't try and actively listen to it or you'll feel your blood pressure rising.
Reply 42
I'm not even sure we still need to be saying too much on stuff like who you date anymore. I know everyone doesn't get it but you can google that, I mean the BBC even has their own video on stupid questions trans folk get asked which answers 101 stuff.

I really think the average cis person, or at least younger cis person, has got the basics now and isn't that interested in hearing it again. If they aren't bored of it then I think I'm bored enough for everyone. Yet the media is still in a (less sensationalist) version of omg trans people exist.

I wish we could move on to have mainstream discussion on stuff that makes a difference in trans people lives. Like the recent government report has loads of things they could have picked up on. Why is there a shortage of qualified doctors? Why is the gender recognition act no longer fit for purpose?
Original post by LoveTheDivergent
As trans* non binary (afab), I find it quite difficult to get people to understand my gender identity. I identify as agender genderflux, which there is a proper term for, but this way is lot easier to explain. I'm not out to my parents but I dress in quite an androgynous way and they pretty much let me wear whatever I want (yippee for confusing people). Fair enough, I have a feminine side and I love my makeup but I get quite dysphoric about the rest of my body.

What I have found the hardest is getting people to use my pronouns (xe/xyr or they/them). People refuse to use xe because they don't understand how that pronoun works but the bigger problem is not using they because they see it as a plural pronoun even though we use it in a singular context almost every day. Most of the people I am out to are referring to me as Phoenix though which is quite nice but it doesn't cancel out not using pronouns.

I feel that these days many people see that being trans* is all happiness and pride when it's not. It's hating yourself everyday and tearing at your body and hating your mind for what it's doing to you. I hope that once I go to uni and I have a fresh start, I can start presenting a lot more masculine and reduce my dysphoria and hopefully buy a binder because I currently use quite an unsafe method.

Hi, sorry to be a bother but I've just realised that I am genderflux (fluxuating between agender and female) and trying to figure out all the terminology. I was wonder, what is the difference between agender genderflux and just genderflux?

Quick Reply

Latest