The Student Room Group

Student finance for Welsh students studying in England

If you're a Welsh student thinking about studying in England, our experts, Phil and Kay, are here to answer your questions about what student finance you can get.

Kay is a Student Finance Advisor for Wales and is an expert in all aspects of student finance for higher education.

Phil has a detailed knowledge of student finance policy, as well as repayment and further education. He is a fluent Welsh speaker who is happy to communicate in the Welsh language.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am going to be attending UWE to study Criminology and Sociology and I'm from Wales. I'm confused on how many student loans are available. The accommodation I have looked at is around the £5000 mark but does the maintenance loan cover accommodation and living allowance??
Reply 2
Hello! I am a mature student due to start studying a full time foundation course, and i am really confused as to how finance works. If i take out a full maintenance loan what impact will taking out a full grant have on it.
Reply 3
Hi, I was just wondering if I was correct in thinking that Welsh people living in Wales or studying in Wales only have to pay £3000 tuition fees rather than the £9000 (or something along the lines of that)? I am on a gap year so haven't been in touch with people that know the current student fees etc, and I feel like I remember someone mentioning this last year. Any info would be great!
Reply 4
So I have been accepted onto an Msc in Maths and am trying to muster the funds to pay for it all. At the moment my plan is basically a career development loan and the post graduate loan, and if I get those then happy days as this pretty much isn't happening any other way.

The issue is the 'ordinarily resident in England criteria' for the loan, I have for the last few months been on a graduate course in Cardiff, so naturally rent a place there. I consider my home however to be in Coventry which I go back to regularly, and which is where I have lived and intend to live once my time on this course is over (at least until I start the masters). Moreover most of my practical details are still linked to my home in England - banking etc. Prior to my time in Cardiff I have lived solely in England, and as I said it's where I'll be come next year whatever happens, be it in oxford for the masters or Coventry trying to work out what to do with myself.

My worry is, as you've probably guessed, that I worry my brief period in Cardiff on this course will invalidate me as an ordinarily English resident, is this a problem?
Reply 5
I am having problems getting being accepted for student finance. Because of a period of homelessness I do not have an unbroken address record and therefore I am being refused funding as I can not prove my residential status. I am a UK national and meet all the criteria asked for by Student Finance Wales. Anybody got any advice on this please?
HI there,
I currently live in Wales (Aberystwyth) and will be moving back to London in June full-time as I have applied for University there (I have an unconditional).

My issue is that it will take a long time for my SF to be transferred from Wales to England, and possibly delay my money when I will need it for rent etc. When I spoke on the phone to SF Wales (for a current, part-time, grant) they told me 2 options:

* Deal with the delay
* Use a correspondence address in London I.E my mother's flat.

I am veering more towards the latter as it will be very straightforward moving address from there. However, I have heard that your SF is affected if you live at home (my mother's income is V low). Will this be rectified once I move out?

I am just a bit stressed as it will be hard to afford rent if they mess my SF up! My partner has had MASSIVE issues with his, even though he sent in ALL his required information way before the deadline.
Are there any plans to introduce postgraduate loans for Welsh students, as is the case with English student for English students this coming academic year? Otherwise, what are the options for funding further studies please? Thanks.
Original post by jordanhjameshart
I am going to be attending UWE to study Criminology and Sociology and I'm from Wales. I'm confused on how many student loans are available. The accommodation I have looked at is around the £5000 mark but does the maintenance loan cover accommodation and living allowance??

Hi jordanhjameshart;62290507

There are 2 student loans available. The Tuition Fee loan and the Maintenance Loan. The tuition fee loan will help towards your Tuition Fees and the maintenance loan is to help towards both living costs and Accommodation costs.
We can also assess you using your household income details to see if you are eligible for the Welsh Government Learning Grant which can also be used for Living and accommodation costs. The Online calculator can be found at http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/calculator.aspx#.VriEi_ntl5E

Thank you

Kay
Hello Kona,

Firstly if the foundation course is classed as Higher Education (HE) then you can receive the full funding as any normal student would. Some foundation courses are classed as Further Education (FE) therefore you would have to apply through the Further Education body.

For HE courses there is a Maintenance Loan and Grant available. The Grant is non repayable and the loans must be repaid once you have graduated earning over £21,000 a year.

The Grant is based on household income therefore if you are entitled to a Maintenance Grant, for every pound you get they take 50 pence off the loan. It is quite confusing how it is worked out internally however you are not able to get a full grant and a full loan. The higher the grant the less of a loan you will get.

For an estimate of how much you are entitled to then please use the 'Estimate Calculator on the Student Finance Wales website'

Here is the link

http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/calculator.aspx#.VriEc_ntl5E

Thank you
Phil
Original post by East1992
So I have been accepted onto an Msc in Maths and am trying to muster the funds to pay for it all. At the moment my plan is basically a career development loan and the post graduate loan, and if I get those then happy days as this pretty much isn't happening any other way.

The issue is the 'ordinarily resident in England criteria' for the loan, I have for the last few months been on a graduate course in Cardiff, so naturally rent a place there. I consider my home however to be in Coventry which I go back to regularly, and which is where I have lived and intend to live once my time on this course is over (at least until I start the masters). Moreover most of my practical details are still linked to my home in England - banking etc. Prior to my time in Cardiff I have lived solely in England, and as I said it's where I'll be come next year whatever happens, be it in oxford for the masters or Coventry trying to work out what to do with myself.

My worry is, as you've probably guessed, that I worry my brief period in Cardiff on this course will invalidate me as an ordinarily English resident, is this a problem?

Hello East 1992,

Just to clarify that the fact you have lived in Cardiff for a short period of time will not harm your Student Finance application. When you apply for Student Finance we would always go on the country where you class as home. So you would apply to Student Finance England. I hope this has answered your query? If so, good luck with finding the finances for your MSc.

Thank you
Phil
Original post by anon2504
Hi, I was just wondering if I was correct in thinking that Welsh people living in Wales or studying in Wales only have to pay £3000 tuition fees rather than the £9000 (or something along the lines of that)? I am on a gap year so haven't been in touch with people that know the current student fees etc, and I feel like I remember someone mentioning this last year. Any info would be great!

Hi anon2504

Welsh resident students studying their first degree can usually apply for both a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and a Tuition Fee Grant (TFG).
For 16/17 students can apply for a £3900 Tuition Fee Loan and the Welsh Government will then pay up to £5100 towards the fees as a TFG.
For example, if your fees are £9000 you can take a TFL of £3900 and a TFG of £5100. If the fees are £8000 you can take a TFL of £3900 and a TFG of £4100.

Hope this helps

Kay
Hey both,

What are the most common questions with regards to Welsh students that study in England that come up?
Original post by Borrett
I am having problems getting being accepted for student finance. Because of a period of homelessness I do not have an unbroken address record and therefore I am being refused funding as I can not prove my residential status. I am a UK national and meet all the criteria asked for by Student Finance Wales. Anybody got any advice on this please?

Good Afternoon Borrett,

In order to obtain student funding we will always ask for a permanent residential status. However I wouldn't like to say you will not or you will receive student funding as everybody's application would be assessed on a case by case basis. As I am not aware of the ins and outs of your situation, I wouldn't like to comment further. So I would recommend you to call the Student Finance Wales contact center and explain your situation to them. They will be able to advise you on what is the best course of action to take. The telephone number is: 0300 200 4050

I apologise I couldn't answer your question.

Thanks
Phil
Original post by CJ
Hey both,

What are the most common questions with regards to Welsh students that study in England that come up?

Hello,

Th questions are mixed so far. There are a few on general funding, some on eligibility and some on residential statuses.

Thanks
Phil
Original post by NiallOwen91
Are there any plans to introduce postgraduate loans for Welsh students, as is the case with English student for English students this coming academic year? Otherwise, what are the options for funding further studies please? Thanks.

Hi Niall,

There is no plans or news about whether postgraduate loans will be introduced in Wales so far. I can confirm it won't be introduced for the 2016/17 academic year. A decision for the 2017/18 academic year will be made later on in the year and public knowledge towards the end of the year.

Thanks
Phil
Original post by eeveehoward
HI there,
I currently live in Wales (Aberystwyth) and will be moving back to London in June full-time as I have applied for University there (I have an unconditional).

My issue is that it will take a long time for my SF to be transferred from Wales to England, and possibly delay my money when I will need it for rent etc. When I spoke on the phone to SF Wales (for a current, part-time, grant) they told me 2 options:

* Deal with the delay
* Use a correspondence address in London I.E my mother's flat.

I am veering more towards the latter as it will be very straightforward moving address from there. However, I have heard that your SF is affected if you live at home (my mother's income is V low). Will this be rectified once I move out?

I am just a bit stressed as it will be hard to afford rent if they mess my SF up! My partner has had MASSIVE issues with his, even though he sent in ALL his required information way before the deadline.

Hi eeveehoward;62579161]

On this occasion it isn't possible for me to answer your question accurately without knowing your personal situation age, marital status etc.

Assuming you are under 25 and still dependent on your mother (not married or supported yourself for 3 years of more and you don't already hold a degree) then if you were to apply using your Mothers address (as your home address) then you can state on the application form that you will be living away from home while you study and therefore receive the living away from home rate of student finance.

If your situation is different to the above then I suggest you contact the Student Finance helpline for further assistance.

Hope this helps

Kay
Hi there

I'm a parent trying to get my head round the whole finance thing...

We live in wales and our daughter has received offers from her top two unis, both in England. Am I right in thinking she'll pay £3,900 towards her tuition fees but can get a grant for £5,100 (not means tested) and can also apply for a maintenance loan (means tested).

And if that is correct, and having looked at accommodation etc, the amount she can receive for the maintenance loan won't cover her costs. Does she then try to get a bank loan to cover the extra?
Original post by Lesley902
Hi there

I'm a parent trying to get my head round the whole finance thing...

We live in wales and our daughter has received offers from her top two unis, both in England. Am I right in thinking she'll pay £3,900 towards her tuition fees but can get a grant for £5,100 (not means tested) and can also apply for a maintenance loan (means tested).

And if that is correct, and having looked at accommodation etc, the amount she can receive for the maintenance loan won't cover her costs. Does she then try to get a bank loan to cover the extra?

Hi Lesley902

You are correct Welsh resident students studying their first degree can usually apply for both a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and a Tuition Fee Grant (TFG).
For 16/17 students can apply for a £3900 Tuition Fee Loan and the Welsh Government will then pay up to £5100 towards the fees as a TFG.

In regards to the Maintenance loan. If the amount she has been quoted is not enough to cover her outgoings then she would need to seek extra funding elsewhere e.g part time job, family contributions etc.

You can always use the finance calculator to get an estimate on the funding available to her at http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/calculator.aspx#.VriTW_ntl5E

Hope this helps

Kay
Thanks for all your questions!

Kay and Phil will be back again on Thursday at 11-12 if you have any further questions!

In the mean time, visit www.studentfinancewales.co.uk for more information.

Latest

Trending

Trending