The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student Money Week
Ask us about the new Postgraduate Loan now!

I am 67 yrs old and am starting an MA with the OU in October. I had hoped to take advantage of the new post grad loans. However I was shocked to find that they are limited to under 60s - this only 3 years since ageism was removed from the undergrad loan system.

Has this inconsistency been raised with govt and is there any likelihood of change? I understand concerns that older students may never pay off loans (also true of many undergrads) but study almost certainly keeps older people active and therefore saves money on social care and NHS services.

Thanks

Pete
Original post by petewelsby
I am 67 yrs old and am starting an MA with the OU in October. I had hoped to take advantage of the new post grad loans. However I was shocked to find that they are limited to under 60s - this only 3 years since ageism was removed from the undergrad loan system.

Has this inconsistency been raised with govt and is there any likelihood of change? I understand concerns that older students may never pay off loans (also true of many undergrads) but study almost certainly keeps older people active and therefore saves money on social care and NHS services.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

It's the government that sets the student finance policy. You could visit its website and use the contact form to raise it with them directly.

Good luck with the MA!
Many thanks.

I just wondered if you had had any contact with govt already in this regard. I'll give it a try!

Best

Pete

Original post by Sarah SFE
Hi Pete,

It's the government that sets the student finance policy. You could visit its website and use the contact form to raise it with them directly.

Good luck with the MA!
Make sure you bookmark our student finance zone for up-to-date information about Postgraduate Loans.

Latest

Trending

Trending