The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieWaymont
in September I'm starting a course in marine biology at Southampton university. I'm not going into student halls and have found a private student housing company I want to move in with. I wanted to know if there is a way of having the maintenance loan paid in one lump sum to pay for my accommodation annually, as if I pay in installments I need a guarantor. Unfortunately none of my family members are able to do this as they can't work or are retired.

Hi Sophie,

The Maintenance Loan is paid in three installments, that correlate with your term dates, therefore this cannot be paid in one lump sum.

Regards,

Gerard
Original post by bg1993
Hello I will be doing Adult Nursing in September this year as a mature student.
At current I live with my parents but am currently in the process of buying my first home with my partner.
I should be moved in and sorted hopefully by april.
However I have no idea if my student loan will be based on my parents income or my partners?

Hi,

If you are over 25 we will not require your parents income details (even if you live with them). If you are living with a partner by the start of the academic year then we will require their income details.

Gerard
Original post by winonasci_
So from what I can remember, I applied for a Maintenance grant along with a maintenance loan last year just in time for the academic year. However I have only just realised that it wasn't under my entitlement summary section. I thought the instalments I was receiving included the maintenance grant. I have rang them and they said I had not applied for the maintenance grant but if I wish to apply I had to fill out two forms and send it back to them. I know that you can apply 9 months after the academic year started so my question is, do I get all the maintenance grant this April(that weren't paid to me in the past two student loan instalments where I was supposed to be getting the grant) along with my student loan or not?

Hi there,

All payments are backdated for the full year so you would receive the full grant along with your uprated maintenance loan (if applicable).

Gerard
Hello, I need advice regarding maintenance loans please. My son hopes to go to a London Uni in Sept 16. We are unsure if he applies using mine and my husband's household income or if he uses his?

He lives with us at home, pays rent, bills, car, phone, etc from his own wages. He worked full time from Feb 2012, then reduced hours to 31 p/w in Sept 2015 (started college), then reduced hours to 23 p/w from Jan 2016. This can all be proved with wages slips and bank statements. He will continue working when he attends Uni to continue supporting himself.

If he does not apply for the maintenance loan under his own income, then he will use mine and my husband's of course. If this is the case, I believe we supply details of our gross income for the tax year 2014/15. During this year our joint income was around £60k. My husband overpaid tax and if I remember correctly, it was repaid the following tax year. How would this be incorporated in our declarations? I am pretty sure my son will only be able to claim the lowest maint. loan anyway based on our joint income.

Also, my husband was made redundant in July 2015, and has not managed to secure a new job since then. Therefore our income for 2015/16 is significantly lower, I think approx £35k. So I assume my son's maintenance loan application for his 2nd uni year (sept 2017) will give him a higher loan amount?

Apologies for so many questions. Thanks in advance.
Original post by eglemike
Hello, I am resident in UK, originally from Lithuania. I have been working and paying taxes in London for the past 5 years. I hold an international baccalaureate in business. In September 2016 I am starting a foundation degree in 3d design. I would like to know if I am entitled for both tuition fee loan and maintenance loan?

Hi there,

If the 'international baccalaureate in business' is classed as a lower level qualification (in comparison to the UK foundation degree) then you may be entitled to funding, we would take into account previous study, you can check with www.naric.org.uk/naric/ in regards to the comparative qualification levels.

Regards,

Gerard
Original post by Hope2016
Dear Gerard,
I am a mature student on an Access course wanting a degree in Dietetics. I already have a BEd so if I did not get on the dietetics course could I get a loan or finance to let me do a nutrition course?

Hi,

This depends on if this is an equivalent or lower level qualification, if it is equivalent or lower then no funding would be available.

If the new course is higher than the BEd that you already hold then you may be entitled to funding (depending on previous study rules).

Regards,

Gerard
Original post by supernerdural
How does the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan differ during a placement year compared to a normal year? For you were entitled to the full loan, would you still get that during placement?

Hi there,

This would be dependent on a number of things ie if its a paid/unpaid placement and how many weeks the placement lasts and/or if it is a full year placement.

Regards,

Gerard
Original post by ajaxkiller
in www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator when you enter your parents threshold is it just the highest earning parent or both combined?

Hi,

It should be both parents income combined.

Regards,

Gerard
Original post by mummalove
Hello, I need advice regarding maintenance loans please. My son hopes to go to a London Uni in Sept 16. We are unsure if he applies using mine and my husband's household income or if he uses his?

He lives with us at home, pays rent, bills, car, phone, etc from his own wages. He worked full time from Feb 2012, then reduced hours to 31 p/w in Sept 2015 (started college), then reduced hours to 23 p/w from Jan 2016. This can all be proved with wages slips and bank statements. He will continue working when he attends Uni to continue supporting himself.

If he does not apply for the maintenance loan under his own income, then he will use mine and my husband's of course. If this is the case, I believe we supply details of our gross income for the tax year 2014/15. During this year our joint income was around £60k. My husband overpaid tax and if I remember correctly, it was repaid the following tax year. How would this be incorporated in our declarations? I am pretty sure my son will only be able to claim the lowest maint. loan anyway based on our joint income.

Also, my husband was made redundant in July 2015, and has not managed to secure a new job since then. Therefore our income for 2015/16 is significantly lower, I think approx £35k. So I assume my son's maintenance loan application for his 2nd uni year (sept 2017) will give him a higher loan amount?

Apologies for so many questions. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

If your son applies as an independent student based on self supporting for the last 3 years, he may be entitled to the maximum support package.

If he is applying as a dependent student based on his parental income, then it would be 2014/15 financial year income we would take into account (using the gross amount earned in that year), however if within the 16/17 financial year the household income has dropped by more than 15%, you can apply using our current year income process which will be available later in the year, this may enable your son to receive a higher loan package.

Regards,

Gerard
Original post by Gerard Harkin
Hi,

If your son applies as an independent student based on self supporting for the last 3 years, he may be entitled to the maximum support package.

If he is applying as a dependent student based on his parental income, then it would be 2014/15 financial year income we would take into account (using the gross amount earned in that year), however if within the 16/17 financial year the household income has dropped by more than 15%, you can apply using our current year income process which will be available later in the year, this may enable your son to receive a higher loan package.

Regards,

Gerard

Thank you for your reply. Can I just double check, based on the hours he has worked / works, can he apply as an independent student then? He could get a higher maint. loan of course but is this the best thing to do, do you think?
Reply 30
Thanks again to all those who took part in tonight's live webchat. And a big thanks to Gerard for taking the time to answer questions.Hope to hear from you all again tomorrow.

Latest

Trending

Trending