The Student Room Group

Tuition Fee Distress

I am due to start my masters course on the 1st of October. My university has been very ignorant with regards to my financial situation. I had been delayed in getting my loan application done.

After getting it done ~2 weeks ago, I got an email from my university telling me I must pay my fees in full by the 15th of September. I tried to negotiate paying termly, so that I can pay this term with my funds, and then the rest via the loan. They are refusing to allow this, and I have basically been told "either pay by the 15th, provide a proof of SFE loan, or rescind your offer".

Given the tight timeline, can I get a proof of my SFE loan within the next two weeks, or do I need to figure out alternative arrangements? It feels awful to be in this position, as I received no funding despite being from way below the poverty line and I have no one to help me.
Original post by catluver83
I am due to start my masters course on the 1st of October. My university has been very ignorant with regards to my financial situation. I had been delayed in getting my loan application done.

After getting it done ~2 weeks ago, I got an email from my university telling me I must pay my fees in full by the 15th of September. I tried to negotiate paying termly, so that I can pay this term with my funds, and then the rest via the loan. They are refusing to allow this, and I have basically been told "either pay by the 15th, provide a proof of SFE loan, or rescind your offer".

Given the tight timeline, can I get a proof of my SFE loan within the next two weeks, or do I need to figure out alternative arrangements? It feels awful to be in this position, as I received no funding despite being from way below the poverty line and I have no one to help me.

What’s the status of your loan and what evidence have the uni said they’ll accept?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
What’s the status of your loan and what evidence have the uni said they’ll accept?

Submitted still, I am waiting for a letter to see if they need more evidence, which I hope will come soon if it needs too. I have previously applied for SFE so maybe not. I have been having issues getting a bank account set up as I am from outside the UK, and had hoped to apply for one properly when I was over there and had accommodation, but I have yet to receive my offer of accommodation...

The uni just said "proof of loan", so I am not sure what exactly they mean, I guess an approval letter?
Submitted still, I am waiting for a letter to see if they need more evidence, which I hope will come soon if it needs too. I have previously applied for SFE so maybe not. I have been having issues getting a bank account set up as I am from outside the UK, and had hoped to apply for one properly when I was over there and had accommodation, but I have yet to receive my offer of accommodation...

The uni just said "proof of loan", so I am not sure what exactly they mean, I guess an approval letter?

Whilst you ar awaiting the formal outcome from SFE I would get back in touch with the uni and ask for a list of acceptable evidence. That way you won't be going back and forth with them once it's (hopefully) approved.

Thank you. Applications do take 6-8 weeks to process from when you submitted this. We do also need you to provide your bank details if you are in receipt of a maintenance loan to release the payments to you. Thanks, Jason
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Jason
Thank you. Applications do take 6-8 weeks to process from when you submitted this. We do also need you to provide your bank details if you are in receipt of a maintenance loan to release the payments to you. Thanks, Jason

Can I get any proof that my loan is in progress, just so that my university knows I will be paying my tuition via the loan?
Or can I add their bank details to pay them directly?
Can I get any proof that my loan is in progress, just so that my university knows I will be paying my tuition via the loan?
Or can I add their bank details to pay them directly?

Hi there, We are unable to provide you with any confirmation that your application is being processed. Also we are only able to accept bank details that belong to yourself. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending