The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey: So it begins

03/02/16 Week 1, Day 1 08.30 pm
And so it begins: revision! Oh God I hate it, but I suppose it’s a necessary evil. Ah well! Anyway, I’m a year 11 student from Northern Ireland (I think that’s year 10 in England?) and I started my GCSE courses in September last (2015). I’m doing 10 GCSEs (the most my school offers) and they are as follows (with my exam board and teacher-set target grade):
Maths (CCEA) A
Further Maths (CCEA) A
English Language (CCEA) A*
English Literature (CCEA) A*
Biology (CCEA) A
Chemistry (CCEA) A
Physics (CCEA) A* (although i'm expecting a B)
German (AQA) A*
History (CCEA) A*
Music (CCEA) A*
I’ll be starting the Further Maths and English language courses next year. I have started revision, particularly in science, but it hasn’t been that fruitful really; so I thought I’d give this a go to see if it would motivate me to revise more effectively!
I would be extremely grateful if any of you wise, omniscient peoples out there would share any useful tips with me and maybe point me in the right direction when I might be going astray.
So here’s to several nights of frustration, exhaustion and overall stress! (I joke– hopefully :tongue:) I wish the very best of luck to every other student revising, be it for internal exams, GCSEs, A-levels or even further ahead! Let the revision begin!
P.S. Everyone doing the Maths Challenge tomorrow, good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnatschool
And so it begins: revision! Oh God I hate it, but I suppose it’s a necessary evil. Ah well! Anyway, I’m a year 11 student from Northern Ireland (I think that’s year 10 in England?) and I started my GCSE courses in September last (2015). I’m doing 10 GCSEs (the most my school offers) and they are as follows (with my exam board and teacher-set target grade):
Maths (CCEA) A
Further Maths (CCEA) A
Biology (CCEA) A
Chemistry (CCEA) A
German (AQA) A*
History (CCEA) A*
Music (CCEA) A*
I’ll be starting the Further Maths and English language courses next year. I have started revision, particularly in science, but it hasn’t been that fruitful really; so I thought I’d give this a go to see if it would motivate me to revise more effectively!
I would be extremely grateful if any of you wise, omniscient peoples out there would share any useful tips with me and maybe point me in the right direction when I might be going astray.
So here’s to several nights of frustration, exhaustion and overall stress! (I joke– hopefully :tongue:) I wish the very best of luck to every other student revising, be it for internal exams, GCSEs, A-levels or even further ahead! Let the revision begin!

Good luck! Would you take more GCSEs if you could?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Black Rose
Good luck! Would you take more GCSEs if you could?

Thanks! Yeah, I would have loved to have kept on french as I love languages in general!
04/02/16 Week 1, Day 2
Physics lecture, Maths Challenge and a sore foot
So today was the day that our physics class had been looking forward to for days now (shows how organised our school is!): we were going to a physics lecture! It was a talk about space and it was called Defying Gravity. I found it a very interesting talk but unfortunately the rest of my class were more focused on getting to McDonalds after.
Today was also the day of the UK Intermediate Maths Challenge, in which I participated. I found it challenging and about as fun maths is meant to be:

Spoiler

But the big thing that happened to me today has really set my revision aspirations off to a bad start; I fell and twisted my ankle (go me:awesome:!) I was forced to lie on the sofa, grunting about how my foot was sore (I'm not a drama queen, I swear :colondollar:). So when I did manage to get up and walk to the office, I was only able to complete a physics and a biology mindmap. Still, progress has been made, so no matter how little I did, I still did something!
Good luck to everyone else out there revising, and try not to be bored stiff!
Sat 6/2/16. Week 1. Day 4
So for the past two days i have really just been consolodating my learning, particularly in biology and physics. Ive also been thinking for what im going to do for my english controlled assessment which will be taking place next week.
Sorry for the rushed post, i was away at orchestra all day so i couldn't really spend much time revising, so therefore theres not a lot to post about!
I wish you all luck in your revision efforts!
7/2/16. Week 1. Day 5.
So after a weekend of half-hearted revision and a lot of full on procrastination, I've got to get myself really going. Although, it's still early days, I would like to get into a habit so that when it comes to the time when I should be properly revising, it won't be as much work!
That said, I did get some revision done today: I revised for a German vocab. test that I'll have sometime in the next week, I've completed my homeworks (that were mainly summarise class notes) and I've practiced my cello and piano today as well!
So, my plan for tomorrow:

Revise some more German

Complete any homeworks

Get a move on with science notes (I'm really behind here)

Hopefully I'll get that all done, I'll let you know tomorrow.
I wish everyone else out there who's revising the very best of luck and I will "see" you tomorrow! :biggrin:
Mon 8/2/16 Week 1. Day 6
:awesome:Surprise Tests and Physics:awesome:
So today, in school, I received two surprise tests! Lucky me! One in History and one in German. Granted I sort of knew about the German test, I just didn’t expect it quite so early in the week! Not that that really mattered as I got 100% in both tests as they were only really checkpoint tests. What’s more today we started our English Controlled Assessment on Creative Writing. So far, I think my story is going rather well! Hopefully I’ll be able to continue with that.
In my revision efforts for the day, I mainly focused on physics as I am really far behind in it. So I concentrated on that and I got 2 ½ topics done! Yay! Progress!

Spoiler

Also today I practiced my cello for my upcoming grade and I plan to practice piano later on too.
I’ve got all my homework’s up to date so I think tomorrow will be another day of revision. I plan to get more Biology done, whilst also trying to spend half an hour or so on History and German respectively. Maths and English, so far, don’t have any notes to be written. Also tomorrow I start group tutoring with a couple of my friends in chemistry. We’ll all go to our friend’s house where a tutor will come and go through stuff from the beginning of term. I all up for it, but I get the impression that the rest of my friends think I don’t need the tutoring in chemistry but I will gladly take up any opportunity to learn and improve my skills.
I think that’s all for today, so until tomorrow, good luck in all your revision efforts!
9/2/2016 Week 1. Day 7.
Pigs Eyes’ and Chemistry Tutor
Today has been a great day, as far as I’m concerned, in the sciences. School was boring-ish right up until our biology class. As we were walking up to the lab my friends and I were complaining about how nothing exciting ever happened in Biology. Expecting another boring theory lesson, I walked in and sat down.
“Today class,” our biology teacher said, with a devilish grin on her face, “we are going to be studying the eye.”
We groaned.
“Studying the eye, by dissecting it!” she told us.
Our faces went from tired to excited, who doesn’t want to cut things open on a Tuesday morning? I was one of the few who took their time and dissected that piggy’s eye methodically. The rest of that lesson flew by and after it school returned to being boring.
Upon getting home and checking my revision aims for the day, I realised something, I hadn’t accounted for horse riding that evening! So that meant I wouldn’t be able to get any revision done until I went to the chemistry tutor later on.
The chemistry tutor I went to was absolutely fantastic: he explained our syllabus in a new light and went that bit deeper into our lessons, making chemistry much more enjoyable. I had always loved chemistry because we usually had a fun teacher but this year I was graced with the Head of Department as our teacher,who just happens to be very, very boring! So in other words, I love chemistry again! Yay!:awesome:
Enough blathering from me for one day, so good luck to everyone else in revision and until tomorrow, good night!
10/2/16. Week 2. Day 1.
Lent and Music Exams
School, as school is meant to be was not overly interesting. Just boring lesson after boring lesson. But I finished my English Controlled Assessment, which is great! I also learned that I do not have a clue how to use moles in formulae, if we even do that! Wednesday is just your average long school day.
Also today I got notice of a maths test and a physics test. I don’t know when the maths test is but my physics test is on Friday.
What bothered me in school today was the fact that it was the start of Lent. Being one of the only Christians in my friend group is hard enough as it is, but when people are offering to get a piece of cake for you or teachers offer sweets to everyone, life is especially tough! :frown:
Once I got home, and over the fact that I couldn’t have any Nutella (my comfort food of choice when we don’t have ice-cream) I settled down to re-write my German notes, as I lost all my file pages and I can’t find them. So currently I’ve got two sub-topics done in my notes.
With both my cello and piano exams around the corner :eek:, I have been practising them quite regularly and I think that they might take a priority over revision soon –just until the exams are over. Tomorrow being Thursday means I have cello after school, and piano after that. There-fore meaning that I probably won’t get a lot of revision done till I’m too tired to do any proper revision. Ah well.
Finally,I have come up with a revision scheme that I can work to. It involves a checklist and revision aims for each week of the term. Now I definitely feel organised enough to really crack on with revision.
That’s all I’ve really got to say tonight; so until tomorrow: good luck in revising and stay sane!
11/2/16. Week 2. Day 2
Mud, Mud and Mud
Ah,Thursday, you used to be such a lovely day. But then I got double physics inthe morning and suddenly I dread to think of you. It’s all a bit unfortunate,isn’t? Especially since I have Maths directly after.I kid sort of. I don’thate physics or maths; I just find I don’t learn as much as I could in thesetopics, I’m not reaching my full potential. I mean, it’s gotten to a point thatwhen my Physics teacher goes over our mock, I fish out an exercise book and tryto learn for myself. In no way, of course, do I condone doing this, but it hashappened. And now, I’ve got a physics test tomorrow and I feel sort ofconfident for it!
The rest of the day was rather uneventful except for our PE class. Today we had a mud-run! If you don’t know what a mud-run is; it’s basically a cross-country course with extra mud. Like cake your shoes is mud extra mud. It’s a lot of mud. It was so fun, I completed the course and I got covered in mud. All in all; a good PE lesson!
So,as I mentioned yesterday, I had music after school until 6 o’clock so I startedrevision today late. But I’ve got German and physics revision done so I’m quitepleased for what I’ve got done in the time I had (just over an hour).Tomorrowbeing Friday I’ll probably just try and survive school and get some homeworkdone; Friday’s are lazy days for me usually.That’sall for today, so good luck to everyone else revising!
11/2/16. Week 2. Day 2
Mud, Mud and Mud
Ah,Thursday, you used to be such a lovely day. But then I got double physics inthe morning and suddenly I dread to think of you. It’s all a bit unfortunate,isn’t? Especially since I have Maths directly after.I kid sort of. I don’thate physics or maths; I just find I don’t learn as much as I could in thesetopics, I’m not reaching my full potential. I mean, it’s gotten to a point thatwhen my Physics teacher goes over our mock, I fish out an exercise book and tryto learn for myself. In no way, of course, do I condone doing this, but it hashappened. And now, I’ve got a physics test tomorrow and I feel sort ofconfident for it!
The rest of the day was rather uneventful except for our PE class. Today we had a mud-run! If you don’t know what a mud-run is; it’s basically a cross-country course with extra mud. Like cake your shoes is mud extra mud. It’s a lot of mud. It was so fun, I completed the course and I got covered in mud. All in all; a good PE lesson!
So,as I mentioned yesterday, I had music after school until 6 o’clock so I startedrevision today late. But I’ve got German and physics revision done so I’m quitepleased for what I’ve got done in the time I had (just over an hour).Tomorrowbeing Friday I’ll probably just try and survive school and get some homeworkdone; Friday’s are lazy days for me usually.That’sall for today, so good luck to everyone else revising!

My TSR was really buggy today so excuse all the joined up words, sorry!
12/2/16. Week 2. Day 3
Over-competitiveness and Cello fails
Since we were almost of for half term, today was a rather relaxed day in school, some of the more sporty people were away doing their sporty things, thus decreasing the class sizes for the day. This was a good thing, as it meant our Physics test is now delayed until next Friday.
The smaller class numbers also affected us in maths, about halving our class. This meant that the class was really quiet, which I adored. About twenty minutes through maths though, I was told by one of my friends that we were having an race to get everything done (and I wonder why I'm called a nerd). Of course she only instigated this competition since she knew I was behind her and she was certain that she was going to won. The competition was on.
To cut a long story short, I beat her and was way too smug about it (but since I came from behind, I deserve it).
Revision was non-existent today as I was heading to a Friday-night orchestra (I have such a life) shortly after. As
usual, there was good craic and We had a good evening. The highlight of orchestra, though, was the moment when, in Danse Macabre, the lead violin had a solo and then us cellos would come in with a big tremolando, I sneezed. Just on the last note of her solo. Except my cello almost flew out of my grip and hit the floor. My desk partner and I were in stitches - although me being the professional musician I was, I regained some form of composure and resumed playing, whilst of course, still laughing. My desk partner was in tears because it was that funny, we're rare, we know!
Anyway since there was no real revision today, I'll shut up now and let you all get on with your life.
So until next time, good luck in your revision efforts and stay sane!
Hey! I like your blog - you're very well organised - I'm slightly envious.
Good luck in your revision & especially with your music exams! (The cello is the best instrument, we all know it :wink:)

Original post by celloel
Hey! I like your blog - you're very well organised - I'm slightly envious.
Good luck in your revision & especially with your music exams! (The cello is the best instrument, we all know it :wink:)

Hi! Thanks very much!
I'm glad that someone else views the cello the same as I do! (Cellists United forever!! :biggrin:)
13/2/16. Week 2. Day 4.
Physics Woes and Half-term
Half-term is here! :excited:! And to celebrate, I spent a day revising! :confused:. Yeah, I know, sad right. Best part is, this will probably be my routine for half-term. But ah well, I got it out of the way and I'm happy with my day's work.
I should probably tell you what revision I did today:
I got an hour of German done
I got half-an-hour of History completed
And I got an hour of Physics done until my brain scrambled and I gave up.
The reason why my brain scrambled was I got stuck. Big time. So... if anyone can tell me how the equation for the change in momentum relates to Newtons second law, I'll be very thankful. It's probably a stupid thing that I just couldn't see, but it was enough to make me want to stop for the day.
So apart from revision today, I watched some TV and helped out on the farm, nothing interesting really. So I'll stop talking now, and until tomorrow, good luck in your revision efforts and stay sane! (I wish I kept that in mind when I was trying to do physics :tongue:)
Week 3. Day 5.
Just a quick post to say that i was away all day so i got no work done whatsoever. Ill try and do a bit more work tomorrow to compensate.
15/02/2016. Week 2. Day 6.
It was going so well, and then it wasn't
(and then it was again)
Well, if you weren't completely confused by my title, then well done!. I have been sick all day :puke:. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but I was feeling absolutely rotten all day. But still, I revised.

Spoiler

I started of the day by getting some history done, not much, probably only half a page written. Next, I started my German work for the day: I got two pages of that done. But then I started to get really fluish, if that even is the correct terminology for that. I could barely see, my eyes were watering, my ears were thumping and I won't even tell you about the state my nose was in. It was not nice. I had to lie down for an hour and a half or so.
After I got up again, I could not hack revision, so I fell into the sofa with a blanket and went on the iPad.
Soon I did start to feel better, so I decided to tackle Chemistry by making some revision cards on TSR. I spent quite a while on them and they're decent I believe. Also today I practised cello and piano.
I timed my revision efforts today; and in total I spent 3 hours revising, not bad for someone who was sick for the day!
Anyway, enough of my blathering, and good luck in all your revision efforts and stay sane!
Week 2. Day 7.
Deja vu and report cards
I don't feel as if I can say much today, it was literally just the same as yesterday;same amount of revision done, same topics covered, still fluish, just a repeat of yesterday really. I suppose that's a good thing.
I did start to reread "How to Ace your GCSEs" though, its really insightful. I will definitely be taking a few tips from it.
I also got my winter report out today. I'm pretty much on track, they included my grades from my mocks, a C in English which I was annoyed at and a B in physics which I expected were the only ones that disappointed my parents. All the more reason to revise more now I guess.
That's the end of my mid-term so back to school tomorrow! Yay!
So good luck in your revision efforts and stay sane!
Week 3. Day 1.
Spring Clean and promises
It hardly feels like three weeks since I stared revising.
Anyway, today was just another boring day of school, my main problem with today was that I was expecting it to be a Monday, so our times were changed slightly, and I had to make sure I had all my books.(I did!).
The brightest part of my school day was when we got a biology lesson from the Lough's Agency.It was very engaging and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
I got more textbooks from amazon today, I hope they'll really aid my revision efforts.
Revision wise today, I didn't do much, I took time, instead, to make sure I was organised for at least the next few days. Plans have been made and cupboards cleared for all things academic; call it an early spring clean.
I did spend an hour finishing my Chemistry revision cards on TSR. There is a huge error with them though, my pictures, even though they're in the preview, aren't in the PDF! AArgh! :angry:!
I think I'm going to get more serious with my revision now, it's about time I suppose. I'm going to promise myself that, and I've written it here where it will stay for at least a while, so I'll have to stick to it, else face a guilty conscience.
So, enough of my blathering, good luck in all your revision efforts and stay sane!
Maths (CCEA) A
Further Maths (CCEA) A
Biology (CCEA) A
Chemistry (CCEA) A
German (AQA) A*
History (CCEA) A*
Music (CCEA) A*

Hi!
I'm doing some of the same subjects as you and you can see them here - if you would like any advice or tips you can comment on it too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Good luck and I hope you achieve your grades - it sounds like you are doing very well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending