The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey: So it begins

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnatschool
03/02/16 Week 1, Day 1 08.30 pm
And so it begins: revision! Oh God I hate it, but I suppose it’s a necessary evil. Ah well! Anyway, I’m a year 11 student from Northern Ireland (I think that’s year 10 in England?) and I started my GCSE courses in September last (2015). I’m doing 10 GCSEs (the most my school offers) and they are as follows (with my exam board and teacher-set target grade):
Maths (CCEA) A
Further Maths (CCEA) A
English Language (CCEA) A*
English Literature (CCEA) A*
Biology (CCEA) A
Chemistry (CCEA) A
Physics (CCEA) A* (although i'm expecting a B)
German (AQA) A*
History (CCEA) A*
Music (CCEA) A*
I’ll be starting the Further Maths and English language courses next year. I have started revision, particularly in science, but it hasn’t been that fruitful really; so I thought I’d give this a go to see if it would motivate me to revise more effectively!
I would be extremely grateful if any of you wise, omniscient peoples out there would share any useful tips with me and maybe point me in the right direction when I might be going astray.
So here’s to several nights of frustration, exhaustion and overall stress! (I joke– hopefully :tongue:) I wish the very best of luck to every other student revising, be it for internal exams, GCSEs, A-levels or even further ahead! Let the revision begin!
P.S. Everyone doing the Maths Challenge tomorrow, good luck!

Hey there, nice little blog you've got here!
I've never even heard about CCEA but we do have German in common (I'm doing AQA and am predicted an A* too, love it) and I wish I could have carried on with French too!
Your revision looks good so far, a lot better than mine...:colondollar:
If you want to check mine out I'll leave the link here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617&p=62807255#post62807255
And good luck with your revision! :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Hey there, nice little blog you've got here!
I've never even heard about CCEA but we do have German in common (I'm doing AQA and am predicted an A* too, love it) and I wish I could have carried on with French too!
Your revision looks good so far, a lot better than mine...:colondollar:
If you want to check mine out I'll leave the link here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617&p=62807255#post62807255
And good luck with your revision! :smile:

Hi! Thanks, your blog is looking great as well! :thumbsup:
CCEA is the Northern Irish exam board; it's only available in "Norn Iron" (bit of a colloquialism there fer ya).
Deutsch ist ein tolles Subjekt, Ich liebe es. Ein A* is fantastisch! Findest du Deutsch einfach?
(Francais est aussi super)
I'm quite proud of myself there, only one word from google translate!
Anyway, good luck, and keep revising! :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi!
I'm doing some of the same subjects as you and you can see them here - if you would like any advice or tips you can comment on it too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Good luck and I hope you achieve your grades - it sounds like you are doing very well :smile:

Hey, your blog looks really impressive!
Thanks, I just hope I won't falter soon, it's tough but its a must!
Week 3. Day 4.
Catching up and Compositions :nopity:
So, I haven't posted in a few days, because I got sick again and I couldn't really revise too much; not enough for a post anyway.
The past few days have been rather uneventful otherwise, just school work really. I did finish an English creative writing controlled assessment, though (Woo-hoo!) only to be told that I'm starting my next on next week (double woo-hoo!). Also I started my music composition and I think it's going well so far.
Today I actually got a good bit of Chemistry catching up done - I sooooooooo far behind in pretty much everything for some reason :cry: - but I guess that means I've just got to work extra hard now.
That's been it really for the past few days. So, I wish everyone good luck, and see ya whenever :tongue:!
Hey, your blog looks really impressive!
Thanks, I just hope I won't falter soon, it's tough but its a must!

Thank you and I'm sure you won't. You have a very good plan, just a shame illness is hampering your efforts. I'm ill too - but it won't stop us!

Keep doing as you are and I'm sure you'll achieve everything you desire :smile:
Hi! Thanks, your blog is looking great as well! :thumbsup:
CCEA is the Northern Irish exam board; it's only available in "Norn Iron" (bit of a colloquialism there fer ya).
Deutsch ist ein tolles Subjekt, Ich liebe es. Ein A* is fantastisch! Findest du Deutsch einfach?
(Francais est aussi super)
I'm quite proud of myself there, only one word from google translate!
Anyway, good luck, and keep revising! :smile:

Ja, Deutsch fällt mir sehr leicht, und ich liebe es auch.

Thanks, I'm trying to make this whole revision thing work but I keep getting distracted :/ I'll soldier on though!

Thanks for explaining the exam board :tongue: and good luck!
Week 3. Day 6
Cello Exams and SU Talks
So today, being a Monday was rather mundane. Nothing interesting in school happened except a lecture from our History teacher about why Britain shouldn't leave the EU, because it would just be a repeat of the Anglo-Irish Economic War in the 30s. Anyway, I won't delve deeper into any politics in this blog, I swear.
When I got home, I had two rather pressing things to do:
Practise my cello for my grade exam tomorrow (grade 6) (wish me luck :crossedf:)
And prepare a talk for my SU group, that I'm giving tomorrow (again, wish me luck :crossedf:!) .
So that was basically my day, no real revision done but more important matters were at hand so, they took priority,
Hope everyone else is having fun revising and until next time, see ya!
Week 4. Day 1
Cello Exam, Public Speaking and getting a move on
I find I'm really falling behind in both my revision, and my blog posts; that should change soon though once I have my music exams out of the way.
What has happened in the past few days?
Well, I had to give two talks in as many days: one to my SU group about Lent and the other to my class about Dementia and Alzheimers disease. The latter was part of my English speaking and listening controlled assessment. They both went well, engaged with my audiences and didn't rely on a script; my English teacher absolutely loved my sad stories about Alzheimers. And the SU group liked my presentation too.
Yesterday I had my grade 6 Cello exam. I thought it went all right, but either way I am moving on to grade 7 soon, I have looked at the possible pieces and these are the ones I want to do:
Tarrantella - Squire
The Swan - C. Saint-Saens
Vocalise - Rachmaninov
I absolutely love these pieces, go and have a listen to them and see what you think.
Today, I got my exam notices, which is really just our teachers saying, "If you're not already revising; get a move on!" Thankfully, I am already revising.
I'm finding that I'm enjoying revising some subjects more than others, is there a way to motivate me to balance out my subject revision?
So far today I did some Biology mind-mapping and I plan to get a History timeline done soon too. But really my main focus now is getting my grade 7 in piano, which is coming up really soon! All the stress! :mad2:
Anyway, I've rambled on enough for today, so until next time; good luck in revision!
Week 1. Day 0
take 2.png
Take 2
I've decided that I have not been productive enough for my liking, so I'm going to start again; a fresh start. I know, not very motivational, but I'm not happy with my progress - mainly because I don't think I've done any proper revision for at least a week (or longer) now.With that said, I got exam results in the past week! :eek:
GCSE Maths T4 (CCEA) a*
GCSE English Language Unit 1 (CCEA) b
Understandably I was delighted with the a* but, if you look at my target grades, I wasn't too happy with my b

Spoiler

I also got a merit in my cello grade 6 exam! :woohoo:

Revision-wise, I plan to post my timetables fortnightly or so (if I have them done that is!)
So, here's to a new beginning and to not falter this time :cheers:
Week 1. Day 1
Am I secretly Leonard Hoffsteader??
So after that rather sobering blog yesterday, I do feel duty-bound to tell you all about my day's work:
Today mostly consisted of me
a) dreading the next class (Mondays are bad enough without classes)
b) playing cello to avoid that chemistry work that I told myself to do.
c) revising for a biology test tomorrow.
So as promised, here is my rough study plan for the next two weeks (it's at the bottom of the post)
Upon inspection, you'll see that for today I only have chemistry listed, even though I have a biology test tomorrow. Yes, I know, I'm an eejit. But I did manage to get some chemistry and biology done today! Progress!!
When not revising, I was procrastinating by playing the cello. I'm such a classic nerd. In fact, I'm almost Leonard Hoffsteader from the Big Bang Theory; a nerd who plays the cello and has a mother who appears overly strict.

Spoiler

But anyway, that's enough complaining and comparing for one today; so until tomorrow then! Arrivederci!! :wavey:
Week 1. Day 1
Am I secretly Leonard Hoffsteader??
So after that rather sobering blog yesterday, I do feel duty-bound to tell you all about my day's work:
Today mostly consisted of me
a) dreading the next class (Mondays are bad enough without classes)
b) playing cello to avoid that chemistry work that I told myself to do.
c) revising for a biology test tomorrow.
So as promised, here is my rough study plan for the next two weeks (it's at the bottom of the post)
Upon inspection, you'll see that for today I only have chemistry listed, even though I have a biology test tomorrow. Yes, I know, I'm an eejit. But I did manage to get some chemistry and biology done today! Progress!!
When not revising, I was procrastinating by playing the cello. I'm such a classic nerd. In fact, I'm almost Leonard Hoffsteader from the Big Bang Theory; a nerd who plays the cello and has a mother who appears overly strict.

Spoiler

But anyway, that's enough complaining and comparing for one today; so until tomorrow then! Arrivederci!! :wavey:

Glad to see you having another go at this, I had to do the same.

Good luck to you! :biggrin:
Week 1. Day 2
My toughest challenge yet...
After a long day of school, an hour of volunteering and doing part of Duke of Edinburgh physical for the weak; I am exhausted.
In school, we had two tests today, Maths and Biology. Revised a little bit for both and I think both went okay. I'm not a massive fan when it comes to revising for small class tests, it's the big ones that really need my attention!
In music today, we continued with our set work of Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel. As a cellist I'm not overly fussed by it - the ground bass is just harsh.

Spoiler

At lunch time, though, I was met with the biggest challenge of the term so far... I had to tune my friends viola because it was desperately out of tune and she was afraid her teacher would kill her if she didn't practice. So, I tried to tune it; but I failed pretty miserably: every time I got one string in tune, another peg just slipped out. Arrrgh! :angry:. In the end up, she just came with me to the orchestra where I'm volunteering to get my cello teacher to tune it properly.
Speaking of orchestra, I did my volunteering today and it was really enlightening me: never try to teach small kids. Ever. They're really annoying!

Spoiler

After that, it was time for horse riding, my chosen physical for DofE. It went fine and I got my forms signed and everything.
Now onto the part I'm writing my blog on: Revision!
My revision today was German and Physics. They both went really well and I feel as if I have made some gains, especially in physics, where I now understand most of the equations! Yesssssssss!!!!!!:woohoo:(I love that emoticon!)
So that's me for today!
Until tomorrow then!
Original post by NiamhM1801
Glad to see you having another go at this, I had to do the same.

Good luck to you! :biggrin:

Yeah, I decided that I'd be better to start up again and just get on with it. I don't think it'll matter so much once we develop a routine that we can stick to; its (relatively) early days yet!
And of course, goo luck to you too! :thumbsup:
Your study plan is great!! :h:

I'm really enjoying that you've put GYG in there as a commitment to do- that's the kinda dedication I'm looking for :smile:
Original post by Tank Girl
Your study plan is great!! :h:

I'm really enjoying that you've put GYG in there as a commitment to do- that's the kinda dedication I'm looking for :smile:

Thank you very much! I just thought I'd throw GYG in there to give it a bit of variety, make it seem more interesting, and to even look forward to it!
Week 1. Day 3
There's an exam looming...
Chemistry is my favourite science, I know that. But isn't it just my luck that I am stuck with the teacher who manages to make chemistry even duller than physics! (sorry all you physics lovers, it's just not for me!) I mean, he sends me to sleep, yet I love chemistry! I suppose that's why I joined the tutor group; our tutor re-lit the bunsen burner that is my love for chemistry. (You have no idea how sorry I am for that metaphor: I apologise unreservedly). So, yeah, top tip, if a teacher sends you to sleep, learn it your own way; be it with a tutor, or sitting down with the textbook and the internet and learning it yourself.
Rant over, let's talk about my revision:
Didn't do any.
Okay, that was short. Let's talk about why I didn't do any:
I have my grade 7 piano exam tomorrow (:eek:), so I decided I need to practice and rest up for tomorrow morning. Wish me luck! :crossedf:!
But yeah, I thought it would be for the best if I rested up tonight and be ultra-ready for the morning.
So after all that writing, until tomorrow then!
Au revoir! :wavey:
Week 1. Day 3
There's an exam looming...
Chemistry is my favourite science, I know that. But isn't it just my luck that I am stuck with the teacher who manages to make chemistry even duller than physics! (sorry all you physics lovers, it's just not for me!) I mean, he sends me to sleep, yet I love chemistry! I suppose that's why I joined the tutor group; our tutor re-lit the bunsen burner that is my love for chemistry. (You have no idea how sorry I am for that metaphor: I apologise unreservedly). So, yeah, top tip, if a teacher sends you to sleep, learn it your own way; be it with a tutor, or sitting down with the textbook and the internet and learning it yourself.
Didn't do any.
Okay, that was short. Let's talk about why I didn't do any:
I have my grade 7 piano exam tomorrow (:eek:), so I decided I need to practice and rest up for tomorrow morning. Wish me luck! :crossedf:!
But yeah, I thought it would be for the best if I rested up tonight and be ultra-ready for the morning.
So after all that writing, until tomorrow then!
Au revoir! :wavey:

I know you like trying hard and all, but be careful not to make your life evolve around school, especially at GCSE level.

Didn't do any.

Why did this make me laugh so much?? :p:S
Original post by Jake_Bodels
I know you like trying hard and all, but be careful not to make your life evolve around school, especially at GCSE level.

Thanks for the advice. I know that at gcse level whilst school is important, it's not everything. I understand that wholeheartedly. Yes I do love trying hard and yes I can sometimes prioritise my school life but i definitely duo value my time out of school. It's why I live music so much. While I am trying to take an easy approach to this, it may seem a bit extreme to others. But I do think that I will gain from this experience, I'll learn how to balance my life more.
P.S. I do plan to Madge a skirt of sub-revision timetable which highlights my liife outside of school (even if my life does seem a bit non-existent art times!)
Thanks for the advice. I know that at gcse level whilst school is important, it's not everything. I understand that wholeheartedly. Yes I do love trying hard and yes I can sometimes prioritise my school life but i definitely duo value my time out of school. It's why I live music so much. While I am trying to take an easy approach to this, it may seem a bit extreme to others. But I do think that I will gain from this experience, I'll learn how to balance my life more.
P.S. I do plan to Madge a skirt of sub-revision timetable which highlights my liife outside of school (even if my life does seem a bit non-existent art times!)

That p.s is all messed up: im typing on my kindle.
What its meant to say is:
I do plan to make a sort of sub.........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending