The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey: So it begins

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
Why did this make me laugh so much?? :p:S

I hope its not because i was being funny because that would be dangerous for all of us! :biggrin:
Week 1. Day 4.
A "quick wee post"
Just a quick wee post to say that my piano exam went well and that i was away for the rest of the day which resulted in no work whatsoever being done! I might get something done tomorrow. (no promises though!)
Original post by johnatschool
I hope its not because i was being funny because that would be dangerous for all of us! :biggrin:

The horror! :tongue:
Week 2. Day1
Such an interesting life!
As it was the weekend, I didn't really feel the need to post anything as I was away being music-y all weekend. Friday night was orchestra, majority of Saturday was orchestra and Sunday consisted of me practicing my cello and visiting my granny.
So now that its Monday, what happened in school?
It's a Monday, they're boring; nothing interesting EVER happens.
So... revision?
Yeah! I made English and history notes today and did physics, German and chemistry in my spare time at the weekend.
But now I feel pretty sluggish so ima gonna go to mah bed and i will be speaking to yees the morrow!
Reply 44
03/02/16 Week 1, Day 1 08.30 pm
And so it begins: revision! Oh God I hate it, but I suppose it’s a necessary evil. Ah well! Anyway, I’m a year 11 student from Northern Ireland (I think that’s year 10 in England?) and I started my GCSE courses in September last (2015). I’m doing 10 GCSEs (the most my school offers) and they are as follows (with my exam board and teacher-set target grade):
Maths (CCEA) A
Further Maths (CCEA) A
English Language (CCEA) A*
English Literature (CCEA) A*
Biology (CCEA) A
Chemistry (CCEA) A
Physics (CCEA) A* (although i'm expecting a B)
German (AQA) A*
History (CCEA) A*
Music (CCEA) A*
I’ll be starting the Further Maths and English language courses next year. I have started revision, particularly in science, but it hasn’t been that fruitful really; so I thought I’d give this a go to see if it would motivate me to revise more effectively!
I would be extremely grateful if any of you wise, omniscient peoples out there would share any useful tips with me and maybe point me in the right direction when I might be going astray.
So here’s to several nights of frustration, exhaustion and overall stress! (I joke– hopefully :tongue:) I wish the very best of luck to every other student revising, be it for internal exams, GCSEs, A-levels or even further ahead! Let the revision begin!
P.S. Everyone doing the Maths Challenge tomorrow, good luck!

Good luck! Once it's all over you'll look back and be proud!
My only tip would be to not work too much, stay hydrated and sleep more than 8 hours a night!:smile:
Reply 45
Original post by iNoddy
My only tip would be to not work too much, stay hydrated and sleep more than 8 hours a night!:smile:

I done my GCSE's last your with CCEA (now studying AS level). My tips would be if you are studying double award science/ triple award buy the revision books as they offer some helpful tips. Maths do as many past papers as possible and for English be aware of every multi modal technique and practice personal writing. Good luck with your GCSE's
Original post by iNoddy

Thank you very much! I definitely like those tips; I usually do drink 2 litres of water a day and who doesn't love sleep!? :sleep:
Reply 47
Why are you revising in year 10
Original post by lmg1
I done my GCSE's last your with CCEA (now studying AS level). My tips would be if you are studying double award science/ triple award buy the revision books as they offer some helpful tips. Maths do as many past papers as possible and for English be aware of every multi modal technique and practice personal writing. Good luck with your GCSE's

So far I have been following those tips pretty religiously! I absolutely adore the revision books for science and i have a stack of T6 papers to get through over Easter too! My English revision is now for functional writing and whatever the over one is in unit 2, so any tips pls? :please:
Week 2. Day 2
I understand it do clearly now!
Today I received two test results:
Music 97% (yay)
Biology 79% (mehh)
Though could tell my biology teacher was disappointed because her comment was "some good answers" even though i got both 6 markers right!
I had DofE volunteering today which was just organising music. Exciting stuff!
My tutor group was moved forward to this evening so as to not interfere with st Patrick's day :lep:. We started quantitative chemistry, a topic which i was clueless in. However we went through it and i understand it so clearly now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's all four today as I'm tired and want to sleep.
Gute Nacht!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qawsx
Why are you revising in year 10

Because my school insists on it. Like, they demand to see a form of revision done per subject. They're very picky like that.
Also am year 11, in northern Ireland we label our years differently, same age though.
(Year 10 England = year 11 N. Ireland)
Reply 51
So far I have been following those tips pretty religiously! I absolutely adore the revision books for science and i have a stack of T6 papers to get through over Easter too! My English revision is now for functional writing and whatever the over one is in unit 2, so any tips pls? :please:

For the functional writing (personal writing as well) I know it sounds stupid but write up a list of possible questions that could come up and do a detailed essay plan on all of them. I remember in 4th year (May 2014 pp) the question was write about something you have done that is worthwhile and I used an essay I had already wrote on running a 1/4 of a marathon. I thought the quality was not that great but I had all the techniques in it such as rhetorical questions and I ended up doing really well in it. When doing the functional writing try to make a great opening paragraph and ending. It doesn't matter about the quantity just the quality so try to get as many techniques into the essay as possible and make your argument very clear (you can also do a counter argument). They also award marks for spelling and puctiation so remember to read over it. Also do really good in your english coursework as if you are sitting on the A/A* band in exam and got a A* in coursework this would bring you up a grade. If you are struggling with any sciences like physics practice past papers. I am doing this at the minute for AS physics and maths which I hate but I know has to be done. As for t4 and t6 the same applies and do past papers.
Original post by lmg1
For the functional writing (personal writing as well) I know it sounds stupid but write up a list of possible questions that could come up and do a detailed essay plan on all of them. I remember in 4th year (May 2014 pp) the question was write about something you have done that is worthwhile and I used an essay I had already wrote on running a 1/4 of a marathon. I thought the quality was not that great but I had all the techniques in it such as rhetorical questions and I ended up doing really well in it. When doing the functional writing try to make a great opening paragraph and ending. It doesn't matter about the quantity just the quality so try to get as many techniques into the essay as possible and make your argument very clear (you can also do a counter argument). They also award marks for spelling and puctiation so remember to read over it. Also do really good in your english coursework as if you are sitting on the A/A* band in exam and got a A* in coursework this would bring you up a grade. If you are struggling with any sciences like physics practice past papers. I am doing this at the minute for AS physics and maths which I hate but I know has to be done. As for t4 and t6 the same applies and do past papers.

Thanks very much, you really have helped! I'm a lot clearer now as to what I need to focus on now.
Week 2. Day 3
Exciting News!
(for me anyway :tongue:)
Being the last day of school before we break up for Easter, we didn't really do much. Except...

Had a Chemistry test (which went rather well imo)

Started an English Controlled Assessment (on Speaking and Listening: Features of Spoken Language)

We also had a revision lecture from our Head of History. It was quite useful but it entails a lot of work! (Not that I mind incredibly!)
We also got a lot of homeworks over Easter:

Physics: Double Award Past Papers from 2012 (x3 a year) and Quality of Written Communication questions

Biology: Double Award Past Papers from 2012 (x3 a year)

Chemistry: Triple Award Past Papers from 2012( 1 a year?)

History: create a 40 page revision booklet + flashcards/revision cards/mind-map

Maths: 1 T6 past paper; Unit 1 & 2

English: Learn all features of writing from booklet (around 30 in total)

German: Revise for test on first day back

It's hard to imagine that our teachers actually like the classes that I'm in! The only subject we didn't get homework for was music!
So needless to say I will have a study plan to show you by tomorrow.

After all that, I do have some exciting news (for me anyway - you probably won't care that much but I'm gonna tell you all anyway):
I have been given the chance to spend 10 days in Hanover on a German exchange trip! (the only emoticon related to Germany is Herr Hitler so I'm not going to put him in!)
But yeah, I'm so excited! It does of course mean that I will have to improve my German massively as I will be going on work experience in Hanover, so I need to be able to do some conversing! AH MAH GAD I'm so excited - and it's not till November!

Revision today didn't happen as I am getting myself ready for the Easter holidays and revision during that period. There might be a study plan up by Friday!

I have written a lot tonight so I'm going to bid you farewell and I'll will speak to y'all tomorrow!
Week 3. Day 2
Holiday? What holiday?...
Sorry for not posting in a while; I was suffering from extreme tiredness (which sounds pathetic but I was constantly tired) !
Anyway, for the past few days I have been revising in bits (I would have done more but I was too tired). But I have to really take it up a few gears now to complete all the homeworks I have been set over Easter. I'm beginning to think of this holiday as a sort of holiday in school!
So far in my revision/homework progress I'd say I'm a good 5-10% in. Yay! *sobs internally*.
So I may bid you farewell until tomorrow where I will continue to tell you about the woes of my Easter!
Week 3. Day 3
Progress has been made!
I didn't do any homework today.
(Right now I bet you're thinking "Go damnit John, why didn't you do any homework, whats your excuse for today?)

Spoiler

Well my excuse today was that I was revising all day! :yay:Yay! Progress has been made!
So now I am over a third the way through my History course, with 2 and a half of six topics covered, and I'm now 1/2 way through my Biology course. That's a good bit done in two days.
Tomorrow I plan to focus on Chemistry and Physics, whilst also having a tutor session with my friends in Chemistry. Also tomorrow I plan to do a few past papers, which are really daunting because of the sheer amount.
So - hopefully - here's to another day of great revision and progress.
P.S - My revision timetable; yeah that didn't work. Maybe next week.

Spoiler

wow, you get a lot of homework and revision stuff to do! Are yo in private school or something? Seems like they are really really pushing you! My school was state comprehensive and they annoyed us quite a bit with boosters and revision.. but this is a whole new level.
It's awe- inspiring to see you being young, yet motivated to l.
As an AS student(English Y12 so that's NI 13) I should be doing the amount of revision you are! But I'll probably end up doing less haha.
Either way GCSE's are easier than you think (or maybe I had easier tests the year I took mine!) so don't worry too much. Looks like you'll be getting all A*'s and A's for sure! :smile:
Original post by pereira325
wow, you get a lot of homework and revision stuff to do! Are yo in private school or something? Seems like they are really really pushing you! My school was state comprehensive and they annoyed us quite a bit with boosters and revision.. but this is a whole new level.
It's awe- inspiring to see you being young, yet motivated to l.
As an AS student(English Y12 so that's NI 13) I should be doing the amount of revision you are! But I'll probably end up doing less haha.
Either way GCSE's are easier than you think (or maybe I had easier tests the year I took mine!) so don't worry too much. Looks like you'll be getting all A*'s and A's for sure! :smile:

I don't go to a private school, a normal academy! I am in the top stream though for all classes which means our teachers like challenging us to do better.
I guess what they're trying to do is put a lot of questions on us at once so we're ready for exams in June.
I sincerely hope i do well in my GCSEs, well who doesn't, but it can all be a but overwhelming at times with the workload!
Good luck with your As-es!
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't go to a private school, a normal academy! I am in the top stream though for all classes which means our teachers like challenging us to do better.
I guess what they're trying to do is put a lot of questions on us at once so we're ready for exams in June.
I sincerely hope i do well in my GCSEs, well who doesn't, but it can all be a but overwhelming at times with the workload!
Good luck with your As-es!

At the end of all the revision, it all comes down to if you remember information (For knowledge testing questions) and if you understand the question (know the correct method to tackle it)!
Once you have both you have no chance of not doing well!
Your practice test scores are really impressive too! I remember in all my mocks I did pretty good, but 90%+ was a fantasy haha. I always made mistakes stupidly! Luckily grade boundaries at GCSE are too kind lol.
Original post by pereira325
At the end of all the revision, it all comes down to if you remember information (For knowledge testing questions) and if you understand the question (know the correct method to tackle it)!
Once you have both you have no chance of not doing well!
Your practice test scores are really impressive too! I remember in all my mocks I did pretty good, but 90%+ was a fantasy haha. I always made mistakes stupidly! Luckily grade boundaries at GCSE are too kind lol.

Yeah, retention of knowledge is pretty key, and my one of my teachers gave me a booklet full of QWC Question, where you have to approach it a certain way to get full marks.
I don't like to rely on my practice results too much as often I didn't prepare enough for those and other factors could affect me as well on the day of the exam (looking at you, nerves). And of course those stupid mistakes are riddled throughout every single test; I never read the questions properly (something which I'm hoping to change!)
I really hope the grade boundaries are low, but at the same time, I want a good high UMS as well, so I still want to work hard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending