The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey: So it begins

Scroll to see replies

Week 3. Day 4
Chemistry and Mozart
(an odd combination, but sure why not?)
Didn't do as much work as yesterday, which is a shame, but I still got work done!I find myself slipping into a routine:
I'll wake up (in the morning somehow), go downstairs, pour my cereal and get the iPad. From there I just sit down and do some revision questions on "Gojimo" as I'm eating my breakfast, I find it a nice almost non-revision-ey way of revising and it helps waken me up!
Today, I focused on Chemistry; mainly by making sure I understood what we learnt in class, which I am now confident I do. After a few breaks though, it was soon time to head off for tutor group with the chemistry tutor. Today we continued on Quantitative Chemistry, where we revised emperical and molecular formulae. All in all a good bit of chemistry today.
But, as if there wasn't enough chemistry today, I did a past paper too! I decided I'd just do it to see what I knew, and decide what I need to focus on. I did have to take off marks for stuff we hadn't covered but that didn't affect the overall score massively. So, I got...
Drum-roll please
*drum rolls*
71/97 - 73%:B!!!!
Which for something I did to get an idea of what I knew, was all right!
Also today I started Sonata in F major by Mozart. It is, technically, a grade 8 + piece, but its not the notes, more the style which is hard; so I'm going to work on the notes and build it up to make a piece out of it.

Spoiler

So that's enough for today, until tomorrow then!
Week 3. Day 5
Physics = :cry:
We had visitors over all day (joy of joys!) so I didn't do a lot today; but... I did do a Physics past paper and I learned that I really need to focus more on physics because I got: 66%. Erm... that's bad. Really bad. But I now know what I have to improve on, and memorising equations is seemingly key!
Question:
Is there any platform that lets you write equations on your laptop, and then transfer them to make flashcards?? If so, please tell me!
Since that's all my academic new covered today, I think I'll end it here! Until tomorrow then!
Week 3.Day 6
(In)Efficiency = Energy Output divided by total input energy
(That's a physics joke if you read on, maybe)
Again, not a lot done today. I did do revision, but it turned out to be extremely inefficient as I did it on TSR, yet the PDF wouldn't load, so I had to write it all out onto flashcards again! I was writing out my Physics equations that I have to memorise, which will be fun!

Spoiler

Other than that, I don't think I did anything else today. But it is only one day till Easter!! Which means dawn service on the mountaintop. :yawn:. Which also means hot dogs for breakfast! :biggrin:. And it also means I can eat chocolate again!! :woohoo:!!!
So unless I go into a chocolatey induced coma tomorrow, I'll speak to you then! Have a good Easter folks!
Week 3. Day 7.
Freezing on a mountain at dawn
I feel as if I'm going to go into a sugar coma after all the sweets I've taken today. I really overdid it!! :coma:
I only really did a Biology past paper today which I'm rather pleased off; I got 88% !!! Yay!!!!!! :woohoo:(Really should find a different emoticon)
Other than that, I just looked other chemistry and physics flashcards and tried to memorise my equations.
Church this morning was at 7 am on top of the mountain, understandably it was freezing and the minister decided to cut the service short and we went for breakfast.
I also cooked a very successful Easter roast for my family, I'm quite proud of myself; lamb and roasties golden and the gravy was thick and rich.
(All the mash and the veg were microwaved but shhh, we're not going to mention that!)
When I wasn't cooking or freezing on top of a mountain or revising, I focused on the piano: I am now semi-confident on the notes in the Mozart sonata, and just for fun I revisited one of my grade 6 pieces just to see if I could make it work as a piece of music again; turns out I could! Go me!!
So, I hop you all had a very lovely Easter, so until tomorrow; goodnight!
Week 4. Day 1.
Stupid mistakes are evil! :angry:
So I spent two hours today doing history, of which I got a third a way through a topic, which is quite good!
Then I did a physics past paper, and I discovered that stupid mistakes are the bane of my life! Sure I went up a few marks, but I made so many stupid mistakes, I think I would have been into the 80s had I not made them. I got 73% btw.
Which means my average for physics is now 70%, I'm a B student!!!!!
That's all for today, I guess, so until tomorrow, fare thee well!
Week 4. Day 3.
Netaflixia
I'm sorry that I didn't post yesterday evening, I had a bad case of netaflixia. *Violins screech in background as reader gasps in shock and pity*

Spoiler

Spoiler

But, yeah. Yesterday, even though I didn't post, I still got stuff done. I completed my history revision (that I'm required to do, I'll probably end up going on to the next topic because I love history too much) all 30-odd pages of it! I do have it typed, so if anyone needs some Nazi Germany notes, let me know!
Today, I focused on sciences. I got two sets of revision cards done, which are on TSR now, if you're curious! I got Chemistry (atomic structures) and Physics (motion) done!

Spoiler

So overall I'm happy with what I've done over the past two days.
I need to do past papers and biology tomorrow as the past papers I need to complete and the biology is overdue from Christmas (whoops!)
I will bid you good night now as I go to try and get organised for tomorrow!
Week 5. Day 1.
8 weeks and counting!
Well that Easter amounted to nothing! I'm really annoyed with myself for not getting enough done. It's not like I didn't do anything, I did. It's just that every teacher set us enough work for us for their subject to take up our whole Easter revision time! So that means I'm behind on a few subjects! Aarrgh! I did manage to complete a good portion of everything somehow: I finished history and did all the past papers in chemistry and physics as well as 4 out of 6 biology papers. I still have all my revision cards to do (I find these most effective for me). But, I've still got plenty of time: 8 weeks!
*laughs nervously*
*tries to fight back the tears of realisation that haven't done enough*
Anyway, today I completed yet more past papers (yay) and have half finished a mind map that out teacher is going to mark (double yay).
I think I'm going to post my exam timetable soon, to y'all an idea of what I need to revise for, I'll see if I get round to that.
One last thing, if a teacher gives you a second chance to do better in your grade by doing another test, would you take it or leave it, even if you did well?
Also, would majority rule or would voting have to be unanimous? Our teacher wanted a unanimous vote but didn't tell us until we came back with a majority, he vetoed us in favour of not re-doing a test.
It's just something that happened in class today and I'd like to hear other peoples reactions to it, to see if I'm just being (surprisingly imo) unreasonable. Thank you!
Week 6. Day 1
Work experience in distant lands...
Sorry I haven't posted in a week, every night for the past week, I've been trying to finish my history revision notes, and to make it more fun, our teacher added another topic to the list!
Apart from doing history all week, I've made biology flashcards, did a physics test (which I'll not get the results for until forever) and repeated a chemistry test because my grade wasn't acceptable in my teachers eyes (I got 68%).
My physics teacher seems to have a lot of faith in our class. Since we're studying nuclear fusion, he's almost constantly going on about ITER, and that we should be doing work experience there. This of course has been turned into a joke by our class, but he seems to be serious! He also thinks that some of us will easily be working in CERN as well!
Ich werde auf jeden Fall nach Hannover! (I'm definitely going to Hanover) our school trip with a neighbouring school has been confirmed; although there's only 3 going from my school and not many from the other! I think I'm doing work experience in a solicitors office or the German equivalent to a Barristers chambers, for which I am really excited!
One last thing, our dog had puppies this morning, and they're soooooo cute!!!
So, I think that's all for this evening, until tomorrow (maybe) then!
Hey, are you alright? You haven't updated in a long time...
Ermm... week 10 maybe?
Mi dispiace, Tut mir leid, Sorry
For not posting :frown:
I have a bit of explaining to do. I have not posted in a long time and for that I apologise. Its mainly down to things happening in my personal life (nothing serious - i promise) and having deadlines for school that have restricted me from uploading.
But I have been revising, I promise you that much! I think I'll give you the details tomorrow as my tablets about to run out of charge. So I promise this time - till tomorrow.
Original post by NiamhM1801
Hey, are you alright? You haven't updated in a long time...

Also, thank you Niamh for alerting me to my absence, I really didn't realise it had been that long!
Original post by johnatschool
Also, thank you Niamh for alerting me to my absence, I really didn't realise it had been that long!

Ah you're welcome - you do what you have to do :smile:. Don't mind me worrying haha, well done for revising :tongue:
I can barely remember what day it is, don't expect to write a week!
So... where was I?
So as promised, I'm gonna update you as to my activities over the last four weeks. Since I'm not sure quite what I've said and what I haven't mentioned, I'm just going to focus on my school life over the past month.
I have finished all the modular courses this year (even history which I thought wasn't going to happen) so its really been a lot of revising and Controlled Assessments in my linear courses (German and Music).
My Science notes are almost up to date, I've been reading English guides and novels and I've made even more History notes (I think I'm nearing 60 pages, but that includes all the notes that I've condensed down too). My exams start very soon, I'll include my exam timetable. Actually, I'm quite luck in that:
a) my exams are very spread out
b) I am allowed the day before my exam off (normally study leave is unheard of in first year of GCSE in my school)
c) most of my teachers are willingly offering revision classes at any time which is great
Outside of school, I've been asked to join a local string quartet, its a local thing that the education board (music dept) put together so we can play at official sounding events, so that's pretty cool. As well as that, I am going to Limerick in the South of Ireland (look down below if you want to know where in Ireland it is) for a residential with the Senior orchestra to work with the Irish Chamber Orchestra (I think that's who its with) for a few days and to give a concert. That is also pretty cool and I'm excited for that.
So, I think that's all for tonight; I'll update whenever!
Original post by johnatschool
I can barely remember what day it is, don't expect to write a week!
So... where was I?
So as promised, I'm gonna update you as to my activities over the last four weeks. Since I'm not sure quite what I've said and what I haven't mentioned, I'm just going to focus on my school life over the past month.
I have finished all the modular courses this year (even history which I thought wasn't going to happen) so its really been a lot of revising and Controlled Assessments in my linear courses (German and Music).
My Science notes are almost up to date, I've been reading English guides and novels and I've made even more History notes (I think I'm nearing 60 pages, but that includes all the notes that I've condensed down too). My exams start very soon, I'll include my exam timetable. Actually, I'm quite luck in that:
a) my exams are very spread out
b) I am allowed the day before my exam off (normally study leave is unheard of in first year of GCSE in my school)
c) most of my teachers are willingly offering revision classes at any time which is great
Outside of school, I've been asked to join a local string quartet, its a local thing that the education board (music dept) put together so we can play at official sounding events, so that's pretty cool. As well as that, I am going to Limerick in the South of Ireland (look down below if you want to know where in Ireland it is) for a residential with the Senior orchestra to work with the Irish Chamber Orchestra (I think that's who its with) for a few days and to give a concert. That is also pretty cool and I'm excited for that.
So, I think that's all for tonight; I'll update whenever!

Well done for what you've done and good luck for your exams!
Also enjoy the orchestra trip! :biggrin:
I was actually prepared for revision today! I'm scared at how well it all going.Today I revised the Respiratory System for Biology and did 6 more pages of history revision. The way I condense the notes down is that I take the mark schemes from all the past papers that use our specification and merge them onto one page. I'll provide a sample page down below. I didn't really do anything else except play with the puppies and work on the farm. So that's a nice short one for today! See ya!
Think of a number, any number: that's how long I've been revising for.
Well, I didn't expect that...
Wednesdays are always unnecessarily long. Its not just that they're in the dead middle of the week, but my classes a=on Wednesday just drag on and on and on!
But a few classes were good. I had an English mock exam, which I strangely enjoyed (its weird I know) and German was fun; all 75 mins of it.
But today I got a schock. We had a history mock on Monday and today we got our results back. Somehow I managed to get:
100%
:woo::woohoo:
Which was a surprise! I asked for the mark scheme, and fair enough, I got 100%, maybe 99% if I was being picky, but 100 is fine by me. I did come out of that mock feeling challenged, which is always good, but also encouraged, because I got my timing for all my answers pretty much spot on.
In terms of revision, I have been utilising our science lessons that are now "free", but we have to revise that subject. I'm now on the last two topics for Biology, Chemistry and Physics; which is good.
So now I must go and practise my piano; so until whenever, I shall bid you all adieu!
Things are going well
Revision has been going solidly, mainly because school is so quiet due to the amount of people on study leave. Saying that, I have been very agitated lately, yesterday morning I could not focus in music revision, so my teacher gave me permission to go to the practise room and play cello to amuse myself and let others revise.
I did my English mock and got my results back today: 88% which is rather good. I know where I can brush up and improve but I was firmly in band 5 (out of 5).
Today I was performing in a string quartet for a ceremonial rememberance thing - I'm not really sure what it was for - but I played and it went well. Of course the McDonalds after was far better than the German class I was missing!
That's me for today, 'till tomorrow then!
The beginning of the end
As yesterday was a bank holiday, I (obviously) wasn't in school - but I did revise for my German Controlled Assessment, making sure I knew my word order and stuff. But what I forgot about is, that as well as having a Controlled Assessment, I also had a Biology mock ... I didn't revise for that ... whoops. So that mock could have went a lot better. Even so though, it went okay I guess. Maybe.
Tomorrow I am off on study leave for my Maths T6 module (my first exam :eek3:!!!!) on Thursday, which will bring an end to GCSE Maths and open the door to Further Maths! So my revision is pretty steady for that!
Today I got our Physics mock paper back, I got 90% which I was quite pleased with. Of course when our teacher was trying to point out an obvious mistake, he looked at me, making me think that I had got this wrong - even though I hadn't. Teachers are odd sometimes.
Otherwise my day, and my long weekend was pretty normal, except the car breaking down when we were on a day out - but that's another story!
So until maybe Thursday after the exam, I shall bid you adieu!
18 days till the end
I love stupid mistakes!
My first exam was today! It was CCEA Maths T6 module and it was ... good?! I'm very wary to say it went well or fantastic but at the same time, it's unlikely that I did so bad in it. There were definitely a few questions that I messed up on. For instance I managed to incorrectly add 5+3 (I got 7!! :colondollar:) and it skewed my answer from 2/8 to 2/7!! It just had to be one of those days! Ah well!

Spoiler

But now that maths is over, I shall now put 65% of my revision time into history and the other 35% into English, my next two exams on Monday and Tuesday respectively.
So with a GCSE under my belt, and a (hopefully) slightly less frazzled head, I shall carry on revising! We're almost done!!!!
I love your style of post, it's nice and informative. Good luck with the rest of your GCSEs, it seems like you're doing a few weird exam boards?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending