The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey: So it begins

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richpanda
I love your style of post, it's nice and informative. Good luck with the rest of your GCSEs, it seems like you're doing a few weird exam boards?

Thanks a million!
Ccea is the northern Irish exam board and I'm in northern Ireland, so around here its quite common - so in that context its not that weird. But otherwise ccea can be a bit weird just in general! :smile:
History is ... well ... History
(I am so sorry for that pun)
Today was our History exam. The big one. The one I have been preparing for all year. So needless to say, I was a tad nervous! :afraid:
I went into school early to get some last minute silent revision done, but it was also amusing to see everyone's facial expressions as they walked into the exam locker room. Everyone was nervous, mainly because our teacher wasn't exactly competent in her subject (she was a cover teacher who actually taught Geography instead of History!!) But at five past nine, we filed into the exam hall, with last whisperings of "Good Luck" and so on. By twenty past, we were opening the papers to answer the questions. Two hours later, we were out, and exhausted. The post-mortem (as my family calls it - does anyone else out of curiosity?) ranged from "Kill me now" to "I think I did all right, not great, all right. Maybe a B. Hopefully a B. Oh I don't know!" (Yes that was one line!). Me and my friend walked out together shaking but ultimately glad that we were finally done. My friends mum- a history teacher herself - was waiting at the office to collect her and my mum followed soon after. A quick Costa later and I was home. It was all over ... for about two hours until I had to start revising for English which is tomorrow!
So with two exams done, I'm feeling quietly confident. I don't want to say anything more than that in case I seem pretty foolish come August! But at least that's History done, until I get a reading list for the summer of course! But for now, the weight on my chest is slowly getting lighter. Slowly.
I'm almost done!
I'm almost done, We're all almost done. Exams are nearly over. And I may have only lost a bit of my sanity!
This of course, with the end being near, means I have my physics exam on Monday. Erm ... Yikes. But I feel more prepared for that, and besides it can't go too badly. Can it?
Since I last posted, I have done English, Biology and Chemistry exams. English is a 50/50 chance of me being happy with it, Biology was okay and Chemistry was fine until I heard people getting similar answers to other peoples answers ... but not my own!
But I am most prepared for physics now. Our teacher tried to get us into physics all day, which I partially boycotted and went to my music class instead. I did end up going to physics for like half the day though, where our teacher - who warns us daily about not over-complicating things - went into full on A-Level physics to answer a GCSE question. Not that I listened too much!
So, I shall calm my nerves until Monday at 11.00, then I'm done. And I can relax!
For about a week.
Original post by johnatschool
03/02/16 Week 1, Day 1 08.30 pm
And so it begins: revision! Oh God I hate it, but I suppose it’s a necessary evil. Ah well! Anyway, I’m a year 11 student from Northern Ireland (I think that’s year 10 in England?) and I started my GCSE courses in September last (2015). I’m doing 10 GCSEs (the most my school offers) and they are as follows (with my exam board and teacher-set target grade):
Maths (CCEA) A
Further Maths (CCEA) A
English Language (CCEA) A*
English Literature (CCEA) A*
Biology (CCEA) A
Chemistry (CCEA) A
Physics (CCEA) A* (although i'm expecting a B)
German (AQA) A*
History (CCEA) A*
Music (CCEA) A*
I’ll be starting the Further Maths and English language courses next year. I have started revision, particularly in science, but it hasn’t been that fruitful really; so I thought I’d give this a go to see if it would motivate me to revise more effectively!
I would be extremely grateful if any of you wise, omniscient peoples out there would share any useful tips with me and maybe point me in the right direction when I might be going astray.
So here’s to several nights of frustration, exhaustion and overall stress! (I joke– hopefully :tongue:) I wish the very best of luck to every other student revising, be it for internal exams, GCSEs, A-levels or even further ahead! Let the revision begin!
P.S. Everyone doing the Maths Challenge tomorrow, good luck!

Good luck wish you all the best :smile:
Done.
I'm finished. Finally! Now its just a wait to August to see my grades.
Physics today was all right, a lot of writing but the QWC questions were fantastic! All in all, probably a good paper! I also had another unexpected assessment today: an English discussion. It wasn't towards anything, just a kind of spot test to keep us on our toes. It went smoothly enough. We talked about veagnism and what impact it has on society and our culture. We made one fatal error though: we included a vegan in our group. Not saying anything bad about vegans, she was just very vocal about her views, which in the end probably helped us a bit!
Now that all my modules are over, I'm left to wondering how I did. These are my target grades versus what I think I actually got: (In order of my target and the what I probably got)
Maths T6: A*, A/A*
Maths Overall: A*, A*
English Unit 2: A/A*, B
English Overall: A*, A/B
History: A*, A/A*
Biology: A, A
Chemistry: A*, A/A*
Physics: A, A/A*
So those are what I think I'll end up with. I know that I'll probably repeat English as I was really disappointed with my first module anyway, but hopefully I won't have to repeat any others.
I don't know if this is me done for now, so until next time ... Adieu?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Done.
I'm finished. Finally! Now its just a wait to August to see my grades.
Physics today was all right, a lot of writing but the QWC questions were fantastic! All in all, probably a good paper! I also had another unexpected assessment today: an English discussion. It wasn't towards anything, just a kind of spot test to keep us on our toes. It went smoothly enough. We talked about veagnism and what impact it has on society and our culture. We made one fatal error though: we included a vegan in our group. Not saying anything bad about vegans, she was just very vocal about her views, which in the end probably helped us a bit!
Now that all my modules are over, I'm left to wondering how I did. These are my target grades versus what I think I actually got: (In order of my target and the what I probably got)
Maths T6: A*, A/A*
Maths Overall: A*, A*
English Unit 2: A/A*, B
English Overall: A*, A/B
History: A*, A/A*
Biology: A, A
Chemistry: A*, A/A*
Physics: A, A/A*
So those are what I think I'll end up with. I know that I'll probably repeat English as I was really disappointed with my first module anyway, but hopefully I won't have to repeat any others.
I don't know if this is me done for now, so until next time ... Adieu?!

Woo! Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉
What are you going to do now you're free? And those grades look fantastic - lets just hope that your results sheet says the same :biggrin:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Woo! Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉
What are you going to do now you're free? And those grades look fantastic - lets just hope that your results sheet says the same :biggrin:

Thanks a mill!
Not to sound too nerdy but now that I'm done, I'm going to read a german novel (yes in german) and practice cello a whole lot for our residential with the Irish Chamber Orchestra!

Spoiler

I really am hoping those results dont change much - you never have any real idea how its going toend up thanks to the joys of UMS!
Good luck with your last few exams, I can't believe you have to do 23! (I'm just loving the modular life right now!:biggrin:)
Thanks a mill!
Not to sound too nerdy but now that I'm done, I'm going to read a german novel (yes in german) and practice cello a whole lot for our residential with the Irish Chamber Orchestra!

Spoiler

I really am hoping those results dont change much - you never have any real idea how its going toend up thanks to the joys of UMS!
Good luck with your last few exams, I can't believe you have to do 23! (I'm just loving the modular life right now!:biggrin:)

Wow, that's impressive! I don't think I could read a novel in German! Good luck with the cello practice, and have fun on your residential!

Spoiler

No you really don't - especially because of differences in grade boundaries and of course the dreaded UMS...however they shouldn't change too much.
Thank you - you remembered I have 23? Wow haha. And yeah you are lucky. So do you have more later on? I'd much rather have them all spread out than all in one go.
Wow, that's impressive! I don't think I could read a novel in German! Good luck with the cello practice, and have fun on your residential!

Spoiler

No you really don't - especially because of differences in grade boundaries and of course the dreaded UMS...however they shouldn't change too much.
Thank you - you remembered I have 23? Wow haha. And yeah you are lucky. So do you have more later on? I'd much rather have them all spread out than all in one go.

The book isnt proving too difficult so far, it just takes me two or three hours to make sure I understand a chapter completely!
I have 8-10 modules next year + coursework + (hopefully very few) repeats. So this year was a bit of a breeze in comparison! :smile:
The book isnt proving too difficult so far, it just takes me two or three hours to make sure I understand a chapter completely!
I have 8-10 modules next year + coursework + (hopefully very few) repeats. So this year was a bit of a breeze in comparison! :smile:

Oh cool - I might have to give it a go at some point then :smile: although that does sound like quite a long time! Is it rewarding though when it all finally makes sense?
Oh I see, yeah that's quite a lot then. We did most of our coursework in year 10 but we did a bit this year too. Well even though you probably don't want to think about it just yet - good luck for next year! :smile:
Oh cool - I might have to give it a go at some point then :smile: although that does sound like quite a long time! Is it rewarding though when it all finally makes sense?
Oh I see, yeah that's quite a lot then. We did most of our coursework in year 10 but we did a bit this year too. Well even though you probably don't want to think about it just yet - good luck for next year! :smile:

Yes if you have a chance definitely read a book in a different language. It's frustrating but at the same rewarding!
I don't even get time to dream of next year, some of our teachers have started us on our next courses already! :frown:! It just makes me want for summer even more! Just one more week!
Yes if you have a chance definitely read a book in a different language. It's frustrating but at the same rewarding!
I don't even get time to dream of next year, some of our teachers have started us on our next courses already! :frown:! It just makes me want for summer even more! Just one more week!

Wait...you still have to go to school even though you're done??
That's insane, as soon as we finish we don't have to go back until September!
And yeah - I'll definitely give it a go if I can get my hands on one!
Wait...you still have to go to school even though you're done??
That's insane, as soon as we finish we don't have to go back until September!
And yeah - I'll definitely give it a go if I can get my hands on one!

The rest of the year groups in senior school don't have to come back, just us! Its because we didn't get study leave this year, years 12-14 (upper sixth) did. There were a lot of complaints about this from the girls in particular so they gave us the day before an exam off. At least next year we'll get study leave ... if we tick all the required boxes!
Apparently "die Verwantlung" (the metamorphosis) is a good book for German learners, with short sentences and all that. I'm reading "Emil und die Detektive" though as I read it in English when I was younger and I thought it would be nice to be able to read it in two languages! Its not overly challenging if you have both the English copy at hand and since I have it on Kindle, I can translate words very easily and make notes on it!

Spoiler

The rest of the year groups in senior school don't have to come back, just us! Its because we didn't get study leave this year, years 12-14 (upper sixth) did. There were a lot of complaints about this from the girls in particular so they gave us the day before an exam off. At least next year we'll get study leave ... if we tick all the required boxes!
Apparently "die Verwantlung" (the metamorphosis) is a good book for German learners, with short sentences and all that. I'm reading "Emil und die Detektive" though as I read it in English when I was younger and I thought it would be nice to be able to read it in two languages! Its not overly challenging if you have both the English copy at hand and since I have it on Kindle, I can translate words very easily and make notes on it!

Spoiler

That's so stupid...why just one year group??
Wait, your school goes up to year 14? Things are pretty different over there - you spend 3 years in sixth form?
I'm sure you'll get study leave next year, you're certainly hardworking enough!
Oh cool - I'll try and check them out (somehow :tongue:) I don't have a kindle. My sister does though, but I doubt she'll let me borrow it :redface: and yeah that sounds like a good idea!

Spoiler

That's so stupid...why just one year group??
Wait, your school goes up to year 14? Things are pretty different over there - you spend 3 years in sixth form?
I'm sure you'll get study leave next year, you're certainly hardworking enough!
Oh cool - I'll try and check them out (somehow :tongue:) I don't have a kindle. My sister does though, but I doubt she'll let me borrow it :redface: and yeah that sounds like a good idea!

Spoiler

Whilst ours systems different, they're not too different. Our first year of secondary school is Year 8, which we start when we're around 12. We do our GCSEs in years 11 &12 (ages 15 and 16) and then we spend two years in sixth form: 13 &14 (ages 17 and 18). I think that's the near enough the same in England. I know that the South (Rep. of Ireland) has a completely different system that still confuses me!
Whilst ours systems different, they're not too different. Our first year of secondary school is Year 8, which we start when we're around 12. We do our GCSEs in years 11 &12 (ages 15 and 16) and then we spend two years in sixth form: 13 &14 (ages 17 and 18). I think that's the near enough the same in England. I know that the South (Rep. of Ireland) has a completely different system that still confuses me!

Oh right, so your years are basically a year older than ours, even though you're the same age?
So our year 7 (11-12) is your year 8? That seems the only thing different. I'm guessing you start school in year 1 then - which makes sense. "Reception" is so pointless.
Haha that must be confusing then
Oh right, so your years are basically a year older than ours, even though you're the same age?
So our year 7 (11-12) is your year 8? That seems the only thing different. I'm guessing you start school in year 1 then - which makes sense. "Reception" is so pointless.
Haha that must be confusing then

Ours isn't confusing, yours is! :tongue:
You get used to explaining it though, except we usually don't have to because our friends from the South would have a rough grasp of our system as we do theirs, and I don't think there would be many English people who would willingly move (or visit for that matter) here unless
a) they have family here
b) they are ministers or priests who were assigned churches/chapels here.
Yes, I my outlook on our community is that negative. :frown:
Ours isn't confusing, yours is! :tongue:
You get used to explaining it though, except we usually don't have to because our friends from the South would have a rough grasp of our system as we do theirs, and I don't think there would be many English people who would willingly move (or visit for that matter) here unless
a) they have family here
b) they are ministers or priests who were assigned churches/chapels here.
Yes, I my outlook on our community is that negative. :frown:

Only slightly - it's only reception that messes stuff up!
And yeah I guess you do, true.
Wow you really hate where you live!
Only slightly - it's only reception that messes stuff up!
And yeah I guess you do, true.
Wow you really hate where you live!

No joke - most of my friends who want to do something in life ar like "as soon as im done my a-levels, im leaving this sh*thole for either Belfast, England or America" its not that we hate it, we just can't find a reason to stay!
I'm still part of the #GAWA though of course

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
No joke - most of my friends who want to do something in life ar like "as soon as im done my a-levels, im leaving this sh*thole for either Belfast, England or America" its not that we hate it, we just can't find a reason to stay!
I'm still part of the #GAWA though of course

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow - so I'm guessing there aren't much prospects there? Or is it just a bit dead?
I mean I don't know what it's like over there but I don't think it's much better here!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending