The Student Room Group

I confessed to a guy I've liked for 5 years! Read the mail.

I just......I mustered up enough courage and confessed by email. I would've done it in person, but there was absolutely NO chance that I could've met him, as he just left school for uni recently.

I actually told him that I used to like him, and am now awaiting his reply. Thing is, he's not the type to be exceptionally emotional and he likes to have a laugh, so can someone read my email and tell me if it's okay? I don't want to stop being friends and be extremely awkward with him.

I'm really concerned he'll be mean about it, because, I'm not drop-dead gorgeous or anything, I feel like I'm beneath his league. I know it's irrational, but it's a nagging thought.

Here's the mail:I do believe I owe you an advanced apology at how awkward and weird (AND INCREDIBLY DEFENSIVE) this email might be, but bear with me here, this is just something I HAVE to do.
Now, you may or may not know this, but I kinda…..did……like you….PAST TENSE, THAT'S IN PAST TENSE.
Now, IN MY DEFENSE, I didn’t want to, but I did. And I hate myself for it. And you’d BETTER appreciate how much courage and ability to embarrass myself in front of other people it takes to do this. It took me MONTHS of deliberating and asking myself are you REALLY ready to make a fool of yourself?”
Guess we know what the answer to THAT question was

In all seriousness though, I’m not the kind of person who deals well with suspense or just living with ‘what-ifs’, thus, I take stupid decisions like this, and convince myself that SOMEDAY, in the very distant future, I can laugh about it, and would have a pretty cool anecdote about it. I needed to tell you this to clear my conscience and just GET.OVER.IT.
Okay, so I’m just putting this info out there, you can do WHATEVER THE HELL you want with it, hate me, burn voodoo dolls of me, I don’t care, but I had to do it, because, seriously, I’m someone who reads the last page of a book before starting it. I can’t NOT know.

If you never read this email, well, then, I hope YEARS later when you're cleaning your inbox, you read this and feel guilty about it.

If you ARE reading this and laughing at me, then, I take it all back, you can burn in hell, just…….just burn.

If you are reading this, and don’t know how to reply, thank goodness. Because even if you did, I’d be too busy BURYING myself to see it.

All in all, just KNOW, that I’m not expecting anything, this is just me trying to get over everything and just focusing on my work. Else, I’d probably keep wondering. And I’m already a big daydreamer as it is, so this would NOT help.
But I wholeheartedly wish you best of luck for the future (Since it's entrance coaching, you need it ), and there are no hard feelings. In fact, I feel sort of relieved, as odd as that might sound.

So goodbye, good riddance, I AM SO DONE.
Best wishes and all that stuff,

(My name)

P.S: If this, by any chance, spreads, you know you’re dead, right? Yeah, you’re dead.
Ugh, way too much emotional overdose. I disgust myself.
*SIGH* I'm regretting this already. Temporary insanity, that's all it is. Good lord, this message is long......
X--END--X
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Erm what did I read?
that's probably the most amazing thing I've read in the last few weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure about the burning in hell bit.
If someone anyone sent this **** to me I'd never even read
Reply 5
He'll be bemused.
Reply 6
"Now, you may or may not know this, but I kinda…..did……like you….PAST TENSE, THAT'S IN PAST TENSE. "

he'll probably just be thinking , "so why the **** are you telling me all this then idgaf"
You babbled way too much for an email,

A simple: "I like you. Like, a lot :wink:" would have spared you any cringing...
Er... do you still like this guy? Because if so, then stressing that it's "PAST TENSE" is not going to help you....
I don't know if I should be terrified or not
Jesus Christ! Was a tad long and just ...no.

Good riddance? After you've just said you used to like him. He probably won't even know what he's just read or supposed to get from reading it.

I take it the majority of it is just a joey thing..as in the burning in hell and good riddance bit? That's your way of dealing with it I guess? I mean, if he has your kind of humour then it's not so bad :smile:

Like as others have said, I think something short and concise really would have done the trick.
Along the lines of, I have liked you for 5 years, wanted to let you know, I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship.
Your email is very confusing and disjointed. Your tone makes it sound as if he actually fecked you over in some way or was horrible to you even though you imply you don't really know him in person...
Reply 12
/r/cringe
Well... That was... Different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Intense.
The length of your email is incredibly long for a guy you've liked. Waiting for reply also imply you're still interested. But, you've said something about the past, the only bit I would be concerned about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Just got an email brb
..the hell?

points for sending email; but, i really don't think he'll get the hint after telling him to burn in hell like 5 different times in 4 different paragraphs.. not to mention that you 'used to like him in the past'.

you even ****ing concluded the email with 'good riddance'. you make it sound like this guys' very existence tortured the hell out of you. whatever happened to: 'hey, i like you. lets grab a drink sometime'?

furthermore you stated, to the guy you 'like', that you 'hate yourself for liking the dude'. how exactly is this meant to make the guy feel good? ffs, i'm done.

??

this don't make sense.
I'm so done.
Reply 19
Original post by paddy25
Intense.

Original post by pjm600
/r/cringe

All of the above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending