The Student Room Group

First year worth 10% - how much will it really affect my overall grade?

In first year I got 60%, which counts for 10% of my overall grade - I had mitigating circumstances, and I believe I could've obtained a high 2.1 otherwise. I'm now in second year which counts for 30% and I am on track for getting 68-70% for this year. Provided I keep this up, and say I achieve between 68-70% for final year too, by how much will my first year marks drag my grade down?

I am not the best at maths - if anyone could help me calculate it that would be much appreciated! :smile:
if you got 60% in first year and 70% for the rest of uni you would average like 69%, if you're at the top of a 2.1 it might prevent you sneaking into a first but it isn't going to pull you out of a 2.1
Original post by peanutbuttercup
In first year I got 60%, which counts for 10% of my overall grade - I had mitigating circumstances, and I believe I could've obtained a high 2.1 otherwise. I'm now in second year which counts for 30% and I am on track for getting 68-70% for this year. Provided I keep this up, and say I achieve between 68-70% for final year too, by how much will my first year marks drag my grade down?

I am not the best at maths - if anyone could help me calculate it that would be much appreciated! :smile:

I could have this completely wrong, but if your first year counts for 10% of your overall degree, then your 60% in first year means that you will have had 6% of for your degree entering second year. If you get what you predict you'll get in second year, you'll end up with 20.1/21% for that year, as it's worth 30% (0.68 or 0.7 times 30 is how you work it out).

So, at most, you'd have 27% in your overall degree mark by the time you enter third year, based on the 6% you earned in first year and the 21 (max) you earned in second year. If you got 60% in your third year (which I assume counts for 60% of your overall grade, if first year is 10% and second year is 30%), you would obtain 36% for your third year.

First year 6% + second year 21% + third year 36% = 63%, which is a 2:1.

If you manage to snag a first in third year (but don't stress yourself trying to get it, because that can backfire on your grades really badly sometimes), say 70%, then your overall grade would be 69 for that year.

First year 6% + second year 21%+ third year 42% = 69.
So, unless you get a phenomenal first, like 70 upwards, you're always going to be within that 2:1 bracket - it;s just a case of whether or not you're gonna get a low 2:1, a 2:1, or a high 21 (67 upwards).

I worked this out, by doing this:

Basically, everything is obviously out of 100%. Your take your grade, say 60% for the sake of argument, and then you divide it by 100. Then, you times that by how much it's worth. So, if you have achieved 60% for an essay that is only worth 40% of the overall module, you do 60 divided by 100 = 0.6 and then you times that by 40 to get 24. Therefore, if your module is out of 100% (which they all are), then you have achieved 24% out of 100% for the module with that essay alone. You would then do whatever other assignments you have for that module and then, once you have the grades for those essays/assignments, you work it out the same way I just said. So if you had another essay, but this one worth 60%, and you were graded a 70 for it, then you would have 70 / 100 = 0.7 and then times that by 60 to get 42. Add the 42 and the 24 together to get your overall grade out of the 100% - you would get 66% out of 100% in this instance, achieving a 2:1.

I don't feel like I was very clear there, but I hope it helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by peanutbuttercup

As well as the explanations above, note that most unis employ alternative degree classification schemes if you come close to the grade above. At King's, for example, if you get a raw overall average of 68 or 69 (ie a high 2.1) they will bump you up to a First if you have at least 60 credits in Level 6 modules at 70 or above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending