The Student Room Group

Changes to maintenance e grant 2016 help?

Hi guys,
I just wanted to open a thread instead of using the student money week threads but as we all know, maintenance grants will be cut for new students BUT I'm really confused, I'm an existing university student currently in my 1st year of doing fine art, loving my time in uni and doing really well but I am from a single parent family with my mum earning below £25,000 so I receive the full maintence grant. But does the maintence grant cut effect existing students? What I'm asking is when I reapply soon for my 2nd and when I reapply for my 3rd will I still receive the unrepayble maintenance grant or will it be cut for me to and replaced with a stupid raise in the loan instead? I couldn't find any answers to my questions anywhere however UCAS and student finance have stated it will only effect new students but I had no idea whether I would still receive it from September 2016/17. Thanks!

*edit* I'm current receiving the maintence grant and loan! My maintence loan is a lot lower than my grant since I'm living at home
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sadkxte
Hi guys,
I just wanted to open a thread instead of using the student money week threads but as we all know, maintenance grants will be cut for new students BUT I'm really confused, I'm an existing university student currently in my 1st year of doing fine art, loving my time in uni and doing really well but I am from a single parent family with my mum earning below £25,000 so I receive the full maintence grant. But does the maintence grant cut effect existing students? What I'm asking is when I reapply soon for my 2nd and when I reapply for my 3rd will I still receive the unrepayble maintenance grant or will it be cut for me to and replaced with a stupid raise in the loan instead? I couldn't find any answers to my questions anywhere however UCAS and student finance have stated it will only effect new students but I had no idea whether I would still receive it from September 2016/17. Thanks!

*edit* I'm current receiving the maintence grant and loan! My maintence loan is a lot lower than my grant since I'm living at home

Yes you will still receive it, the cuts don't apply to existing students.
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
Yes you will still receive it, the cuts don't apply to existing students.

Thank you! :h:
I have been told i cant get maintence loan as i am a continueing student from 2016/2017, moving on from access to Ba honour in health and social care, i have only applied for 2018/2019, and i got accepted through student finance but open uni are saying it is wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending