The Student Room Group

Best a levels??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The Warsmith
I'd recommend something more different for the 4th one to give you some variety.

What about a language or history?

Thanks for the advice but I think I'll stick with economics mostly because I no the workload is less than history and I would like to take them all to my second year but thanks your advice is appreciated 😊
Original post by amjam441
Thanks so much for the replies! The general opinion is that I should go for economics right? Also if I studied another degree at a target maybe chemistry then I should still be able to get into IB? And economics a level should be a decent background when applying for a job (Compared to nothing) for IB?

1. Only if you want to study it at A-level
2. Yes, any subject - I repeat, any subject will be considered as long as it's from a solid uni
3. It will not come into the decision making of whether to shortlist you for an interview. Your CV (experience, achievements, interests and extracurriculars) will. A-levels only really come into play insofar as to make sure you meet the grade requirements
Reply 22
Original post by Princepieman
1. Only if you want to study it at A-level
2. Yes, any subject - I repeat, any subject will be considered as long as it's from a solid uni
3. It will not come into the decision making of whether to shortlist you for an interview. Your CV (experience, achievements, interests and extracurriculars) will. A-levels only really come into play insofar as to make sure you meet the grade requirements

Thanks this is really helpful! Do you think I should get work experience now (in year 11) or would that look a bit weird if I do banking work experience but then study something not related closely to banking at uni?
Original post by amjam441
Thanks this is really helpful! Do you think I should get work experience now (in year 11) or would that look a bit weird if I do banking work experience but then study something not related closely to banking at uni?

Ok, first things first, detach whatever idea you have in your head of degrees being relevant to banking, they're not. You of course need one to break in, but no degree will prepare you for real world finance. You'll be taught all you need to know during training as a new grad starter.

At this stage, and up until spring weeks, all they want to see is initiative, interest in the area, analytical capabilities and how you communicate with others. Interest is shown via applying to work experience/insight programmes the rest is through what you do in your spare time (i.e. not staring at walls all day).

Yeah, if you can get your hands on anything; go for it. Do bear in mind that the bulk of the programmes available are for year 12s/13s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Princepieman
Ok, first things first, detach whatever idea you have in your head of degrees being relevant to banking, they're not. You of course need one to break in, but no degree will prepare you for real world finance. You'll be taught all you need to know during training as a new grad starter.

At this stage, and up until spring weeks, all they want to see is initiative, interest in the area, analytical capabilities and how you communicate with others. Interest is shown via applying to work experience/insight programmes the rest is through what you do in your spare time (i.e. not staring at walls all day).

Yeah, if you can get your hands on anything; go for it. Do bear in mind that the bulk of the programmes available are for year 12s/13s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I'll remember this. You've been a great help. Can't give you any more rep but would if I could!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending