The Student Room Group

Reading Uni introduces flexible offers

Poll

Would you be influenced by unis giving flexible offers (so you can miss by a grade)?

So here's the latest university tactic for tempting in students - the 'flexible' offer...

BBC News

A UK university is making "safety net" offers to students applying for places for next year - which would guarantee admission even if they missed by one A-level grade.

Reading University's stress-reducing offer is the latest example of the competition to attract students.

The university sees it as a more "honest" approach to applications.

A University of Reading spokesman said it reflected a "very aggressive, competitive undergraduate market".

Full story (external link) >>

What do you think? Would you be/have been more likely to apply a uni that guarantees flexibility in its offers?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It'd put me off applying to them. Just makes them look desperate, I don't want to be in a class full of dunces.
Makes sense I suppose. Better than having to use clearing. No, wouldn't affect me.

Original post by Snufkin
It'd put me off applying to them. Just makes them look desperate, I don't want to be in a class full of dunces.

So harsh lol. You're not supposed to say that.
Personally it would put me off but I can see why it is a great thing to have. It puts less pressure on some people who might have issues with exams.
Depends alot on the type of course, I think it would work really well on creative courses where your grades may be lower but your portfolio job, but maybe not so much or more academic courses as some students may struggle with the level of work they are being given.
No difference.

If I don't like a university after looking into it or going to an open day, im not going to apply there just because they are likely to give me an offer, even if it's a prestigious one.
I'd rather not go to Uni at all, than go to one when it's not right for me.
Reply 6
They probably already relax the offer for most near misses.

Or they could just reduce their standard offer by one grade. But that would drop them down the league tables that use entry requirements as part of the ranking... hmmm....

It's just marketing spin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a tick in the pro column but it's only one of many factors. Just depends how confident you are of your grades.
Original post by Student403
Personally it would put me off but I can see why it is a great thing to have. It puts less pressure on some people who might have issues with exams.

It makes no real difference as they'd have been able to clear.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It makes no real difference as they'd have been able to clear.

Hmm? (sorry I'm tired)
Original post by shooks
So here's the latest university tactic for tempting in students - the 'flexible' offer...

What do you think? Would you be/have been more likely to apply a uni that guarantees flexibility in its offers?

I don't understand... why not just make the offer one grade lower since that would have the exact same effect and the offer would still actually be meaningful then?
Reply 11
Original post by Plagioclase
I don't understand... why not just make the offer one grade lower since that would have the exact same effect and the offer would still actually be meaningful then?

Might it affect league tables ranking them by entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Might it affect league tables ranking them by entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the league table rankings use the average UCAS tariff of incoming students so I don't think the official stated entry requirements would change anything (at least not directly).
Original post by Snufkin

"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member." Groucho Marx.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member." Groucho Marx.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, I just don't want to pay 60k for a degree and spend it surrounded by lazy people who don't care about their studies. The people you share your seminars with can add a lot to your uni experience, if they're thickos then you're losing out.
So, what's the difference between an offer of AAA(flexible?) and an offer of AAB?

Absolutely bugger all. They're literally the same thing. It's just universities don't want to look like they are lowering their standards.
Original post by Supersaps
So, what's the difference between an offer of AAA(flexible?) and an offer of AAB?

Absolutely bugger all. They're literally the same thing. It's just universities don't want to look like they are lowering their standards.

Well I was thinking more like BBB > CCC.
I'm a little bit confused. If I get an AAA offer which is flexible to ABB, then surely doesn't that mean that my offer is actually for ABB?

I'm all for anything that reduces grade requirements for Uni. I'd rather they put more focus on what the people applying are like and if they do extracurricular activities/ work/ volunteering etc
Yeah but Reading normally let people in who missed out on their grades on results day.

All they've done here is publicise it
More flexibility is always a good thing.

I think that my uni offers restricted me too much with certain subjects requiring to have certain grades.

Kent University gave me the most restricted offer of all time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending