The Student Room Group

Homeless people's begging stories

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliRizzo
Well perhaps you shouldn't go telling people what to do when you have no idea what you're talking about? Very easy to disregard people less fortunate than yourself from high your high chair. Would love to see you homeless one day and I'll walk up to you and tell you to get off your arse and get JSA. See how you feel.

I tell people the true facts, and yes it would make more sense to be on job seekers then begging people for money.
I have been to America, and the homeless situation there is 10x worse.
Google skid row los Angeles, as I have visited that horrible place.
Bottom line is that these beggars cannot commit to even signing on as they're so far gone, due to drugs.
I believe that a percentage have made themselves homeless and expect you the government to offer them a new build flat
Original post by Longshot700
Central Croydon on a Sunday night. What can you expect.

Croydon every day lmao.
in France last year a gypsy woman clutching a child approached me inside a supermarket. the child was awake but not making any noise. the woman asked me for money to buy milk for the child.

i had recently read about this; the gypsies give children drugs such as heroin to stop them crying then they go around begging. the children are distributed each day by the gang leaders.

i did not give her a sou.
Original post by JTran38
I have been on the Northern Line before and haven't experience people begging like that. All I get is just genuine people begging on London's streets who are desperate but doesn't intimidate you to give money.

Wow, seems rare then. I have only experience street begging as well as you. I haven't had one intimidate me for money but it has happened to my Mom. The more aggressive ones target women and women with young children or elderly, I have witnessed it but never experienced it. I think the councils need to do more to get them off the streets because not all of them are genuine and it doesn't look good when tourists come. Which can have some impacts on the tourism economy.
Original post by mkap
there was some guy who everyone knows in rochdale. he's called gasman as he sniffs WD40 cans from a star into his nose. he stays on the asain district (where all the takeaways are) bc loads of people walk there and he begs all the time. i dont give him money as that would go to his gas cans but if i can i give him food. i feel sorry for him he always smells of wee.

Yeah, some homeless people always smell like sadness and pee. When I was with my family, we were leaving a multi storey car park and when we got to the floor our car was parked on we saw this young homeless person (about 23 maybe), he'd wet himself and there was a puddle around him, but he was just sat in it. He said sorry when he saw us, but we just walked past. It's sad you're homeless, but why p*ss yourself, public toilets do exist.
Original post by MrMackyTv
Wow, seems rare then. I have only experience street begging as well as you. I haven't had one intimidate me for money but it has happened to my Mom. The more aggressive ones target women and women with young children or elderly, I have witnessed it but never experienced it. I think the councils need to do more to get them off the streets because not all of them are genuine and it doesn't look good when tourists come. Which can have some impacts on the tourism economy.

I agree that there should be a crack down to curb the culture of street begging.
Firstly we must deport the illegals, and secondly we must rid the streets of rough sleepers.
Original post by Eternalflames
Yeah, some homeless people always smell like sadness and pee. When I was with my family, we were leaving a multi storey car park and when we got to the floor our car was parked on we saw this young homeless person (about 23 maybe), he'd wet himself and there was a puddle around him, but he was just sat in it. He said sorry when he saw us, but we just walked past. It's sad you're homeless, but why p*ss yourself, public toilets do exist.

That man was clearly mentally ill
Original post by Blue_Mason
That man was clearly mentally ill

Yeah, we assumed he might have been.
Original post by Eternalflames
Yeah, we assumed he might have been.

Still it I not a pleasant site, and our government needs to take action.
A few days ago I was on the Northern Line and I saw these three people come on, two looked quite old and one looked young with eastern-european accents. As soon as they came on with the cup and instruments I knew they were going to start playing and begging. They said "ladies and gentlemen (couldn't understand what they said)" then there was a loud noise of banging and some sort of music, I never experience this sort of begging so I was intrigued, but they looked clean so I didn't want to give money. But I didn't like how they pushed the cup in your face when your in a seat, you don't get money like that. It would have been nice if we were alerted about the beggers getting on the train so we can be vigilant.
This was me going to London, I don't live in London but these sort of things never happen in Birmingham. I've never had people come on public transport blaring noise from instruments shoving cups in your face for money.

Hahaha, I've never seen that on the tube before. It happens in India where they play instruments and sing very badly to get some money.
This video is of the New York subway but I think he's sort of funny :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 90

I wish Britain could do something like the Candians with homeless people but our government is very poor. I agree with giving the councils/local authorities power to deal with them.
I realised most beggars hang around Tesco's. :rofl:

There was this documentary about Romanians moving to the UK. They focused the story around a Romanian woman who used to use a walking stick and make strange sounds as if she's in pain whilst begging for money. The documentary team followed her every day and found that she used to go into a public toilet to get changed etc. and when she came out she was holding a designer bag and wearing expensive clothes. They managed to follow her to Romania and they showed her family's huge house.

This woman who hangs around a Tesco near me reminds me of her.
Original post by undercxver

There was this documentary about Romanians moving to the UK. They focused the story around a Romanian woman who used to use a walking stick and make strange sounds as if she's in pain whilst begging for money. The documentary team followed her every day and found that she used to go into a public toilet to get changed etc. and when she came out she was holding a designer bag and wearing expensive clothes. They managed to follow her to Romania and they showed her family's huge house.

I think shes one ina million I doubt most people begging have big homes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Superhotfire
I think shes one ina million I doubt most people begging have big homes

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just watched all of this since my last post. They found 50+ false beggars.

[video="youtube;oJRGC8pMQU8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRGC8pMQU8[/video]

The British government provide enough benefits for there to be no beggars, they also cannot be "homeless" in UK as some beggars claim.

I'm sure most beggars in the UK have enough for their needs.
I just watched all of this since my last post. They found 50+ false beggars.

[video="youtube;oJRGC8pMQU8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRGC8pMQU8[/video]

The British government provide enough benefits for there to be no beggars, they also cannot be "homeless" in UK as some beggars claim.

I'm sure most beggars in the UK have enough for their needs.

50 out of..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL, yes! Also Marks & Spencer's, any supermarket or shopping area tbh. But I can't understand why they hang around in student areas too

Quick Reply

Latest