The Student Room Group

Why do people say "Lol" when they're not actually laughing?

honestly I find it weird when people say lol but yet they're not laughing and sometimes something is just really not funny ? Is It to cover up embarrassment or they have nothing else to say?

the word lol is becoming annoying because its all anyone seems to say
people should bring up a new word or something different

Scroll to see replies

LOL
Lol at the OP.
Majority of the time its because there's nothing else to say, i usually say it just to not make the message look to serious its basically a smile in the form of a text.
lol, force of habit I guess. Sometimes I use it (depending on who I'm talking to) to make things seem less serious or awkward, but otherwise I hardly use it. :redface:
It's a better response than 'ok'.
Kek.
Reply 7
I dunno

Lol
Original post by YouMustBeKidding
honestly I find it weird when people say lol but yet they're not laughing and sometimes something is just really not funny ? Is It to cover up embarrassment or they have nothing else to say?

LOL
l I say lol when i find something vaguely funny, and your rant about lol falls into that category so...

Is this about people typing "lol" into messages, or saying it in person? I don't mind lol in messages, but it should never be spoken!
The abbreviation leads to a mutual understanding of the tone of the conversation as this isn't presented well through text.
Is "lel", "lol" ?
I dunno about y'all but I'm usually laughing out loud when I say it and don't even get me started on my rolling when I ROFL :indiff:
Reply 13

Lmao!

sh*t,I think I've lost my arse[\spolier]

Edit: how do you put on the spoiler thing? I think I did it wrong...smh lol
(edited 8 years ago)
I used to video chat with some TSRians and I would forget the camera was on and say lol or lmao while I maintained my neutral expression :tongue:.
Original post by kandykissesxox
Is "lel", "lol" ?

It means laughing extremely loud.
Lol...
lol0lololoelelelelololl0looooooooooooooollll
LOOOOOOOOOL (not laughing)
Original post by kandykissesxox
Is "lel", "lol" ?

lel amatuer

Quick Reply

Latest