The Student Room Group

Toughest video games you've ever completed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
I just finished it on easy with the best ship and felt accomplished :lol:

It's a tough game. The Stealth mechanic is really key; it's the best way of avoiding taking massive damage during the final boss.

I have to say, to win I basically had to abandon all pretences I had at having morals and just do whatever it took to get the most scrap. It helped that I'd played the game at least a hundred times by that point and could remember the probable outcomes of every event that happened. I probably couldn't do it now.
Reply 61
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The Binding of Isaac, using the most difficult characters. Not including The Lost, who I never even managed to unlock.

FTL: Faster Than Light on hard mode with the weakest ship.

I've beat Tales of Maj'Eyal four times on Normal mode as of this afternoon. Next up: Nightmare mode!

Good taste in games you completed some of my goals !
TBI -Same beat with all excluding the lost and the keeper(stupidly difficult characters)
FTL - I managed to get to the boss in normal but died. (Killed by a rediculously armed random ship just before 2nd stage of the boss fight when he runs away) :frown:

TOME on normal haven't defeated the Master yet ! only seen him once and he killed me/ Im too stubborn to turn off permadeath not sure if Ill ever beat it with it on but It would feel like cheating to switch it off now :P Still it felt like an achievement just surving that long lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Black Ops 3 - Realistic mode (1 bullet = dead)
Original post by INTit
Good taste in games you completed some of my goals !
TBI -Same beat with all excluding the lost and the keeper(stupidly difficult characters)
FTL - I managed to get to the boss in normal but died. (Killed by a rediculously armed random ship just before 2nd stage of the boss fight when he runs away) :frown:

TOME on normal haven't defeated the Master yet ! only seen him once and he killed me/ Im too stubborn to turn off permadeath not sure if Ill ever beat it with it on but It would feel like cheating to switch it off now :P Still it felt like an achievement just surving that long lol.

Probably the best advice I can give you for FTL is: invest in Stealth. It is very difficult to survive the final boss without it.

As for TOME, try and keep the Master debilitated (i.e. dazed, stunned, silenced) as much as possible, and try and stop him from creating minions. If he manages to do that, it's sort of a crap shoot as to whether you'll survive, based on what minions he makes. Being antimagic is tremendously useful for that fight, but that obviously doesn't work for every race and class - could I ask what races and classes you usually play as, and what got you to the Master the first time?

Oh yeah - the other thing about the Master is that you have to kill him twice - he will simply resurrect on the spot. So don't go all out, killing him the first time!
(edited 8 years ago)
devil may cry, is there any one know this game :smile:
Reply 65
Probably the best advice I can give you for FTL is: invest in Stealth. It is very difficult to survive the final boss without it.

As for TOME, try and keep the Master debilitated (i.e. dazed, stunned, silenced) as much as possible, and try and stop him from creating minions. If he manages to do that, it's sort of a crap shoot as to whether you'll survive, based on what minions he makes. Being antimagic is tremendously useful for that fight, but that obviously doesn't work for every race and class - could I ask what races and classes you usually play as, and what got you to the Master the first time?

Oh yeah - the other thing about the Master is that you have to kill him twice - he will simply resurrect on the spot. So don't go all out, killing him the first time!

Thanks for the advise. I got to him with a Summoner. I went to alot of effort clearing the area and even digging out a maze to fight him in. Unfortunatly the summoners lack of real control over the minions I think ruined my chances. Especially when he kept chain freezing me which seemed to turn the minions against me.

I think temporal warden is my favourite sadly my best got killed by the Wydling beast which was literally the only thing left to do before going for the master. Was not expecting the Wydling to counter my trap based build so hard.

Im playing a gunslinger in the expansion atm. Nice class :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Probably not much to some, but as someone who is bad at platformers I managed to get to the credits of Rayman legends. Wii U game pad started dying at about three in the morning and I knew I'd never get that far again so plugged it in and played until about 5am- beat it and then did origins and 8-bit levels :mmm:

However the final few remixes remain above my skill level.
I played Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It's wasn't difficult because I found it too complex or anything but I forced my self to play it in the dark with headphones on so just sitting down and playing the game was difficult because I'm such a big pansy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've completed loads of games during my childhood but, the game I had the most trouble completing was Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Sonic Unleashed. Also, I remember Pokemon Emerald giving me lots of trouble when I first played it. Stupid Wattson and May (the 3rd battle on Route 110).
Original post by somemightsay888
Wolfenstein: The New Order on Uber is :/
Super Mario Bros Lost Levels took months
Fallout 3 on Survival, although mainly because of the games infinite glitches.
Ghosts n Goblins

Certain sections of Wolfenstein were difficult though after a few attempts they seemed to go find.

I think the hardest game I have played is sniper elite 3 on hardest difficulty. No saves throughout the game, and is based on real life combat in comparison to other games considering you have to take wind speed over distance etc. before taking a shot.
Dark Souls 3 was pretty tough.
Reply 71
Original post by DiddyDec
Ico. It took me months.

Me and my sister spent ages trying to beat it. So infuriating.

Rayman 3 had a pretty ridiculous final boss.
It was a long time ago, but I think I managed to purchase a Glaive Beam and a bunch of ion weaponry.

Ion ftw.

You still playing FTL? I only recently got into it, it's damn difficult even on Easy.

There's a new (I say that, I have no idea when it came out) mod called the Captain's Mod. Gives the game loads of new ****, and the mod can also be modded to include what is essentially an "endless mode" that can take around roughly 10 hours to complete.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Ion ftw.

You still playing FTL? I only recently got into it, it's damn difficult even on Easy.

There's a new (I say that, I have no idea when it came out) mod called the Captain's Mod. Gives the game loads of new ****, and the mod can also be modded to include what is essentially an "endless mode" that can take around roughly 10 hours to complete.

I still play it from time to time, but not as often as I used to. After I beat the game with every loadout of every ship, there wasn't much left to do; I'm not badass enough to try to do that on Hard.
(edited 7 years ago)
it has to be dead space (xbox360) on the top difficulty, i ended up quitting
Call of Duty World at War trying to get Platinum trophy.

OH MY F*CKING GOD it was infuriating beyond belief.
Halo: CE in Legendary mode.
****ing Dark Souls... Honestly.
Catherine is cancer on hard difficulty. I've completed Dark Souls 1,2 and bloodborne and thought they were easier compared to Catherine.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Catherine is cancer on hard difficulty. I've completed Dark Souls 1,2 and bloodborne and thought they were easier compared to Catherine.

Loved Catherine but you're right I haven't dared to try it on hard.

Quick Reply

Latest