The Student Room Group

Assignment extensions?

Hey guys.Can you please tell me under what circumstances someone would normally get an assignment extension?

Basically, I have like 3 essays in 3 weeks time, one coming after another + dissertation. I'm sleeping like 4-5 hours a day to do it to the best of my ability. However, the pressure is really affecting me and I'm feeling like I can't produce a good piece of work. On the other hand, my course-mate is getting extensions for every single assignment. So I was wondering under what circumstances you have to be to get these extensions? What is also provoking me is that I suspect that course-mate simulating and getting extensions for just simply not being organised (which is also the case for me).

So can you please be honest and tell me if you guys did similar things, like simulating a condition to get the GP's note or something like that for getting an extension?Also, if someone is reading this from a university department, can you tell me whether extensions are often or only given because of critical situations.
Reply 1
Usually for extenuating circumstances - bereavement, severe illness (not just I had a cold for a week etc), disabilities etc...

For example my friend broke her back and is in hospital, she has got extensions. I recieve extensions due to my mental health problems. Don't get caught up in what other people are doing, you don't always know the full story. Many people may look at me and wonder why I get accommodations but they have no idea of my condition and how it affects me/my work. Just focus on what you are doing, being under pressure and unorganised is not a good reason to get an extension. At my uni you have to fill in a form explaining why you need an extension and you need evidence to back this up - this then goes to a panel who look at your case and decide whether you should have extra time given. I doubt it is easy to just "simulate" a condition to get extra time...
I get extensions due to my mental health BUT the university are aware of it. If you went in with a note claiming you had a condition the first question the uni is going to ask is why you didn't make them aware of it beforehand..
Reply 3
Original post by dopamine112
Basically, I have like 3 essays in 3 weeks time, one coming after another + dissertation.

Pretty standard for the second term of any uni year, complicated by diss and exam revision. Takes a lot of organisation to manage. I'm afraid most of us go through it.

So can you please be honest and tell me if you guys did similar things, like simulating a condition to get the GP's note or something like that for getting an extension?

Did I cheat? No I didn't. Can I advise you on how to cheat? No I can't.

You have no idea how/why other people get extensions and it's none of your business. As an above poster has said, you have no idea what's going on in their lives. Stop worrying about other people's assignments and get on with your own.

Also, if someone is reading this from a university department, can you tell me whether extensions are often or only given because of critical situations.

Extensions usually require proof from an independent third party, that something has happened to prevent you from delivering to the deadline. If you were given the assignment some time ago, the evidence needs to cover the period between being given the assignment and the deadline - if you've left it to the last minute, you're not going to have much credibility. I can't think of any non-critical reason for granting an extension which would be accepted at my current uni.
Hey guys.Can you please tell me under what circumstances someone would normally get an assignment extension?

Basically, I have like 3 essays in 3 weeks time, one coming after another + dissertation. I'm sleeping like 4-5 hours a day to do it to the best of my ability. However, the pressure is really affecting me and I'm feeling like I can't produce a good piece of work. On the other hand, my course-mate is getting extensions for every single assignment. So I was wondering under what circumstances you have to be to get these extensions? What is also provoking me is that I suspect that course-mate simulating and getting extensions for just simply not being organised (which is also the case for me).

So can you please be honest and tell me if you guys did similar things, like simulating a condition to get the GP's note or something like that for getting an extension?Also, if someone is reading this from a university department, can you tell me whether extensions are often or only given because of critical situations.

Extensions are usually only given when there's a compelling reason, with evidence, why the work isn't completed on time- usually a doctor's note is required. Your course-mate has no reason to share their health issues or personal issues with you, so you have no idea why they might be given extensions. They might have suffered a recent bereavement or have ongoing mental health issues.

However, uni policies do vary, so you could go and talk to your personal tutor and explain that you're feeling very stressed and struggling to complete your assignments. You could also talk to your GP. However, please don't mention your course mate to the uni, whatever he's discussed with the uni is private and confidential, and bringing it up will just make you look bad.

Afraid that generally bunched up deadlines aren't usually a reason for getting an extension, it is expected you can handle them. I certainly never faked being ill, I just worked as much as was necessary to get the essays done- usually this would involve one night with little sleep, but otherwise I'd still get far more than you have described, although this would be for 3 essays due at once but not the dissertation.
Everyone on your course will have the same workload so you certainly shouldn't try and get out of getting it done on time... extensions are for people with genuine need and it isn't as easy as just saying you have a problem and getting an extension, you have no idea what is going on for your coursemate so try not to make judgments. It is far better to learn how to manage your time well as you will need to be able to do this once you leave university. I got one extension while at university and it was due to a bereavement. Don't try and abuse the system.
Reply 7
you guys are all right. It's true that I should be concerned with my own work only and don't worry about other peoples' issues. Thank you very much for your responses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending