The Student Room Group

A level Choices

At the moment I've chosen biology, chemistry and geography for my three A levels but I can't decided whether to do maths as a fourth.

I have looked at different uni course that interest me and I really like geology, sports science, dietics, pathology and micro biology. All of these require chemistry, some biology, and geography is my favourite subject but is not required. Only geology at Oxford requires maths from what I have seen on the UCAS website. But when I have looked further, even though most geology course don't require maths, some masters degrees and jobs in the field do require a level maths.

In my mocks I achieved an A* in geography, an A in biology and an A in chemistry as well as A* in maths and physics (these are just subjects I'm considering for A level).

I could do 4 but I like the idea of doing 3. I'm not sure whether doing maths will give me less focus on my other 3 subjects or enhance my cv in the future.

Chemistry, biology, geography and maths are my favourite subjects but I want to make sixth form as stress free as I can so I'm not sure whether 3 subjects would suit me better.

Please give me your advice!
Reply 1
Do 4 and drop maths if u cannot handle it? Btw what were your gcse grades?
Reply 2
Original post by lyamlim97

I haven't done my GCSEs yet but in my mock results were A*A*A*A*AAAABB
Reply 3
Original post by LRSmith
I haven't done my GCSEs yet but in my mock results were A*A*A*A*AAAABB

2 options:
1) Do maths and drop if cannot cope
2) Dont do maths if u dont plan to go to cambridge or any uni needing maths for geo
That is exactly what i am doing now
I am interested in microbology etc and so far i am doing chemistry biology and psychology A2 level with a textile AS
I think maths is a very good a level to have especially of your good at it. Although its not a requirement it does help if u have it as if u got the same grades as someone else but had maths aswell they would prefer u over the other applicants
I didnt find that doing 4 AS levels decreased my performance as long as you organise your time effectively and revise each subject atleast 5-6 hours a week
Original post by lyamlim97

Id recommend this
Reply 6
I find it all so interesting! How do you find chemistry and biology?
Reply 7
Original post by Alex_follett1475
That is exactly what i am doing now
I am interested in microbology etc and so far i am doing chemistry biology and psychology A2 level with a textile AS
I think maths is a very good a level to have especially of your good at it. Although its not a requirement it does help if u have it as if u got the same grades as someone else but had maths aswell they would prefer u over the other applicants
I didnt find that doing 4 AS levels decreased my performance as long as you organise your time effectively and revise each subject atleast 5-6 hours a week

I find it all so interesting! How do you find chemistry and biology?
Well I love biology so i find it not too difficult. However chemistry is really hard even though i got an A at GCSE. You have to be committed and motivated. Biology is more memorising content and chenistry is more havin to understand and apply your knowledge to other aspects and questions. But i love both of them and find them both interesting

Quick Reply

Latest