The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm back from my first gym session, now I've got to go for my second one. I'll be back soon though to answer all your questions so hold on for a bit :smile:!
Reply 81
:O work it ExNihilo work it!
Reply 82
ExNihilo
I'm back from my first gym session, now I've got to go for my second one. I'll be back soon though to answer all your questions so hold on for a bit :smile:!

twice a day ey! good on ya. im considering doing my run in the morning aswell as weights on a nigh (6:00), it would drastically increase my cardio and get me 'ripped' a bit more. however im not sure what ill feel like for the rest of the day :confused: will experiment one day next week i think.
Reply 83
nihilo why do you go twice per day?
Reply 84
ph9
hmm i'll consider the pic thing but, come to think of it, i think that - at the moment - my body's quite similar to that of charlotte church. like this pic actually http://justjared.buzznet.com/images/2006/05/charlotte-church-bikini.jpg :redface: just that i'm a shorter version. i suppose.

so as you can see i'm quite desperate to... change.

now can the advice be ph9-ish? :p: the charlotte church thing is scarily accurate y'know.

enjoy your sesh at the gym :biggrin:

Lol, Hmm, if you're like her you need to go on a cut first to get toned and actually have visible muscle. Again, I'll recommend you the same thing as Lilian, but with a few things changed.

Training regime: Bill Starrs 5x5, Read more about it here:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Follow the program exactly. It's more or less based on the big three compound lifts: Bench press, Squats and Deadlifts.

You'll need to do quite a heavy weight, A weight you can lift 5 times but no more (Positive failure on 5th rep.) This regime is for beginners and will give you a nice little overall layer of muscle to start on.

Diet: Needless to say, your protein intake must be 1g/lb of Bodyweight. You can get this from drinking Whey protein shakes, depending on your choice, milk, eggs, cottage cheese and every kind of meat on the planet. Keep your calorie intake in 500 cal DEFICIT for a month on this diet. Just find any product with high protein which is suitable to your diet. Eat complex carbs before and after your workouts, make sure you drink a fast absorbing protein after your workout (Whey.) If you choose to do so, Eat your cottage cheese right before bed because it has Casein which is digested over 8 hours so it makes you stay Anabolic for the night. A cutting diet is based on High protein, medium carbs, low fat. You want to be cutting out EVERY fatty food possible. You have restrict yourself to meat, eggs, dairy, fruit, veg, poultry etc. No processed foods. You're allowed one BIG cheat meal a week for that stuff so save it for then. For Cardio I'll recommend MAX-OT style cardio (Don't follow the weights program, too complex for you atm.) www.ast-ss.com -> MAX-OT. Do cardio everyday in addition to that. Weight lifting is very very efficient on terms of calorie burning, I burn 700+ calories in my very short workouts.. Wrist size 5.5 probably places you in.. Ectomorph regions, but you've probably put on weight due to your sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits, Were you thin as a child? or chubby?

Tabris
I'm still considering whether or not I should stick with splits in my work outs or start doing something like TBT instead.

It depends on what your body responds to. Splits have more scientific evidence behind them however, though some people swear by FBT.

Lilian
major binge today :biggrin: but I dont care been to gym today and need this binge to get out of my system then ill feel alright again.
advice?
going for a major run tomorrow morning :d
and need to go to the doctors about my periods
woot for being a ********.

Okay, Read the first post. Binging doesn't exist in here mmkay :smile:? Just talk yourself out of it. Think of it this way Crap into your body = Crap out AND you're trying to lose weight, so why sabotage ALL your weeks hard work by binging on random stuff just to gain a few seconds of pleasure/peace etc? It's not worth it in the long run. I'll write more about this in the first post later on.

Sweet-Euphoria
I'm a total noob when it comes to building anything, pretty much ever since I stopped sports.

I have a bench press and alot of free time on my hands. Where do I start?

Read my above post on Bill Starr's and the diet I give ph9. That's where you start :p:

ellabella
i'm going to jump on ExNihilo's bandwagon as well, if there's room. although now i'm at the bottom of the list i'll have to wait :'(

as for frame size, my wrist is 5.5", however when i was born all my dad could say was LOOK AT THOSE FOREARMS! and i've generally been wide all my life. i'm 5'8". since youre doing a veggie friendly diet for lillian i can just adapt that i guess.

question: i'm going swimming tomorrow. is this a waste of my time? i hear conflicting views. i'm not sure i can face weights etc. if i swam 30-60 mins 5 x per week would i get toned and hott? when i go swimming how far should i aim to swim?

(p.s. today i had 69g of protein - 21% of overall cals, not bad for a veggie eh?)

Swimming is quite a good calorie burning activity, but only if you're swimming laps. If you're just floating around then no :frown: So don't float around, Get in, Do as many laps as you can to failure, get out. Eat complex carbs before you go for the swim so you have enough energy to actually do this to your full potential :smile:
No, You wouldn't get toned and hot from just swimming, you'll gain a base but it'll mostly be composed of fast twitch muscle which isn't dense/sexy looking. I'm afraid you'll have to lift weights :wink: and get some more protein in there girl!
Wrist size 5.5 probably places you in.. Ectomorph regions. Were you thin as a child? or chubby?

ph9
exnihilo you've become our fitness guru

hehe :wink:!
Reply 85
soilman
nihilo why do you go twice per day?

One workout for resistance, one for endurance.
Reply 86
ExNihilo
Lol, Hmm, if you're like her you need to go on a cut first to get toned and actually have visible muscle. Again, I'll recommend you the same thing as Lilian, but with a few things changed.

Training regime: Bill Starrs 5x5, Read more about it here:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Follow the program exactly. It's more or less based on the big three compound lifts: Bench press, Squats and Deadlifts.

You'll need to do quite a heavy weight, A weight you can lift 5 times but no more (Positive failure on 5th rep.) This regime is for beginners and will give you a nice little overall layer of muscle to start on.

Diet: Needless to say, your protein intake must be 1g/lb of Bodyweight. You can get this from drinking Whey protein shakes, depending on your choice, milk, eggs, cottage cheese and every kind of meat on the planet. Keep your calorie intake in 500 cal DEFICIT for a month on this diet. Just find any product with high protein which is suitable to your diet. Eat complex carbs before and after your workouts, make sure you drink a fast absorbing protein after your workout (Whey.) If you choose to do so, Eat your cottage cheese right before bed because it has Casein which is digested over 8 hours so it makes you stay Anabolic for the night. A cutting diet is based on High protein, medium carbs, low fat. You want to be cutting out EVERY fatty food possible. You have restrict yourself to meat, eggs, dairy, fruit, veg, poultry etc. No processed foods. You're allowed one BIG cheat meal a week for that stuff so save it for then. For Cardio I'll recommend MAX-OT style cardio (Don't follow the weights program, too complex for you atm.) www.ast-ss.com -> MAX-OT. Do cardio everyday in addition to that. Weight lifting is very very efficient on terms of calorie burning, I burn 700+ calories in my very short workouts.. Wrist size 5.5 probably places you in.. Ectomorph regions, but you've probably put on weight due to your sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits, Were you thin as a child? or chubby?

yeppp, losing the excess weight is my main priority

i was a skinny child. oh, sigh. but yeah once upon a time i just thought hey why don't i eat myself to fatness and sit on my arse all day, thus we have the current me. lol. i piled on the weight from about the age of 12.

thank you vvvvv. much :suith:

one tiny tinsy last thing (for now :biggrin:)... the 500 kcal diet deficit: do i take 500 kcals from my BMR? because that would mean i'd consume 1000 kcals a day and i've kind of been down that road before and lost no weight until i upped it. is that because i did the whole deficit thing wrong or...?
Reply 87
Yes, BMR-500. You've been down that road before but you weren't doing MAX-OT cardio and you weren't on a cutting diet :wink: and you probably weren't doing 5x5 with HEAVY weights either :smile:!
Reply 88
Reply 89
ah, so a calorie isn't just a calorie? well it is, but i mean... the nutritional value of what you eat really does count ey?

thanks again. i'm going to check those links out now
Reply 90
ExNihilo

Swimming is quite a good calorie burning activity, but only if you're swimming laps. If you're just floating around then no :frown: So don't float around, Get in, Do as many laps as you can to failure, get out. Eat complex carbs before you go for the swim so you have enough energy to actually do this to your full potential :smile:
No, You wouldn't get toned and hot from just swimming, you'll gain a base but it'll mostly be composed of fast twitch muscle which isn't dense/sexy looking. I'm afraid you'll have to lift weights :wink: and get some more protein in there girl!
Wrist size 5.5 probably places you in.. Ectomorph regions. Were you thin as a child? or chubby?
QUOTE]

i was chubby as a child. ("LOOK AT THOSE FOREARMS!"), until i was 10, then i slimmed down, then i got chubby again, it's only in the last 2 yrs i;ve been slim.

could u estimate how many g of f/c/p and overall cals should i aim for on days where i exercise, days when i lift, days when i dont?
(female aged 19, 57kg, 5'8" : BMR=1429)

dammit i'll have to lift weights. i dont suppose swimming is detrimental though. and swimmers look hot, right :biggrin:
Reply 91
[QUOTE="ellabella"]
ExNihilo

QUOTE]

i was chubby as a child. ("LOOK AT THOSE FOREARMS!"), until i was 10, then i slimmed down, then i got chubby again, it's only in the last 2 yrs i;ve been slim.

could u estimate how many g of f/c/p and overall cals should i aim for on days where i exercise, days when i lift, days when i dont?

dammit i'll have to lift weights. i dont suppose swimming is detrimental though. and swimmers look hot, right :biggrin:

Protein: 158.98 grams
Protein builds muscle. In fact, it's the only macro-nutrient that goes directly towards building new muscle. Of these 1429 calories 635.905 should come strictly from protein. That equals 158.98 grams of protein per day.

Carbohydrates: 130.4 grams
The calories derived strictly from carbohydrates each day should total 521.585 calories. This means your total carbohydrate intake per day in grams should be 130.4 . Carbohydrates supply fuel for working muscles and are critically important to optimizing your nutritional requirements. Too low a carbohydrate intake can cause your body to catabolize lean muscle for it's energy needs.

Good complex carbohydrate sources include fibrous vegetables such as green beans, cabbage, whole grains, beans, and leafy greens. Simple carbohydrate sources include fruits, sugars, fruit juices and syrups. Quick energy carbs from DGC and Creatine HSC contain perfect carbohydrates for pre and post-workout nutrition.

Fat: 30.17 grams
Believe it or not fat is an important nutrient. However, it's all too easy to over consume. This being the case you should always strive to keep your fat intake to a minimum. Out of the 1429 calories you consume a day only 271.51 or less should come from fat. That's a total of 30.17 grams of fat per day. The majority of these fats should consist of polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, omega 3, 6, and 9 fats.
Reply 92
:O wow
as im not a body builder there's no way i could use all that protein (2.7g/kg). i simply wont be building that much muscle.

i'll think about it. thanks for taking the time to reply anyhow.

as for the fat thing, ive got that sorted, in fact i'd have to increase my fat intake.

carb-wise i'd have to halve my intake but i get it from the right sources (38g of fibre today).
ellabella

Sounds like my physique (but erm, whats BMR? :redface: Same as BMI?)

As an ectomorph myself, I have been recommended to eat 'whatever I like and lift heavy' by a trainer. Now although this isn't going to guarantee me the same excellent results as if I'd sort my diet out plus lifting heavy, its a nice way to get into weight lifting if it all feels a bit overwhelming. There is so much to learn! Just a suggestion....

dammit i'll have to lift weights. i dont suppose swimming is detrimental though. and swimmers look hot, right

Have you ever lifted before? Its so much more satisfying than cardio. :smile:
Reply 94
Yep. Weight lifting > Cardio.

'The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.'
alrite lads

Ok some time ago i was a big fatty. At the time i was doing weights and seemed to be putting muscle on very easily. Eg My bench went up about 5kg every 2 weeks about. I went from 84kg to 70kg and during the weight loss my curling, bench all remained the same. I look more toned and have a nice 6 pack. But it seems my bench, curl, dead lift do not increase as before. Im consuming about 180g of protein a day with a combo of Promax Extreme + Progain.

Heres my stats
Weight: 70kg
Height: 5ft 11"
Bench: 75kg
Curl: 18kg each arm
Deadlift: 95kg

Has remained the same for the last 5 weeks.

It seems i cant put any more muscle on since i became slimmer. Any tips
Reply 96
You're in a calorie deficit. Muscle growth needs you to be in excess.
Reply 97
ExNihilo
Yep. Weight lifting > Cardio.

'The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.'

Henry Rollins, printed in Starting Strength. Speaking of which, did you follow Rippetoe's 3x5 routine before Starr's 5x5 routine? Also, have you read Starting Strength?
im eating like 3000 calories a day. Virtually same food as before but cut out the crisps, drinks, fast food. It feels like my body has reached a barrier. I really wanna get my bench up to 90kg and be top dog at my skl. Lol every teen kids dream.

is a weights regime change in order
Reply 99
black_mamba
Sounds like my physique (but erm, whats BMR? :redface: Same as BMI?)
BMR is basal metabolic rate, i.e. what i would burn if i stayed in bed all day doing nothing. wow, if you have the same physique as me that's dead cool, i've never met anyone whose said that!

As an ectomorph myself, I have been recommended to eat 'whatever I like and lift heavy' by a trainer. Now although this isn't going to guarantee me the same excellent results as if I'd sort my diet out plus lifting heavy, its a nice way to get into weight lifting if it all feels a bit overwhelming. There is so much to learn! Just a suggestion....

Have you ever lifted before? Its so much more satisfying than cardio. :smile:

not ever lifted before, nice to hear it is better. only problem is the big barrier of working out how to do it. maybe i should get an induction to the weights room... in fact i know i should. i will.

Latest