The Student Room Group

Oxford University Entry Requirements - Do I stand a chance? (PPL)

Obviously, I understand that this is a commonly asked question. But I would like some advice specific to my specific course.
I would like to apply for the PPL course, that's Psychology, philosophy and linguistics at Oxford. It would be my dream, and I have even enrolled myself in the Oxbridge summer programme this year as well as entered a psychology essay competition.

The entry requirements state that 4A* are preferred at GCSE. I have 3 A*s, 2 As and 3Bs and 1 C (bad year xD).
I am on the road, however, to achieve 4 As as AS level and defiantly achieve at least 1 A* at A2. My personal statement would be unique, as over the summer I have 3 Psychology based work experiences booked.

I have heard of many miracle stories where people with low GCSE grades but high Alevels have gotten in and I understand completely that more than just your grades get taken into account, but considering that my GCSEs were not too amazing in comparison to others and that my personal statement would be amazing, how much of a chance do I stand?

I'm trying to motivate myself by saying that unis care more about my passion for the subject than too much emphasis on my grades, but I need a real opinion.

Thanks so much for your help :smile:
I'm sorry I can't give subject-specific advice, I'm sure someone else will be able to. Since no one else has responded yet I'll just say this:

With 4 As at AS level (and what looks like some fantastic stuff to put in you PS) you are most probably going to get your second choice Uni even if you don't get an offer from Oxford. So I see no reason why you shouldn't apply - I don't think it would be particularly risky. Obviously the GCSEs aren't amazing by their standards but they're not terrible either and whilst there's this idea that Oxford care very much for GCSEs I think the TSA is what's really going to be key to your application. As you probably know you need to take the TSA if you're applying for PPL so you may want to take a look at some questions/past papers online (they're all available for free if you Google it) and ask yourself if you think you could do well on it. A good TSA score is much more impressive than good GCSEs. I know students with 10 A*s who didn't get interviews presumably due to their TSA score. Not the most encouraging information but you know what I mean. Do well on that and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get an interview - and then it's just about demonstrating your passion to study the subject (which it looks like you have) and your academic potential and 'teachability'. Basically, go for it - what have you got to lose!

I wish you the best of luck, and if it doesn't go your way there are plenty of excellent Unis for psychology and I'm sure you'll excel whatever you do.

Oh and one last bit of advice - don't let worrying/preparing for and Oxford application interfere with your school work or your general happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending