The Student Room Group

Is it me or do MacBook Pros have poor/not so great reliability?

Mine was bought November 2014 (after multiple exchanges) and has had multiple kernel panics and inability to boot from sleep (it turns off at some point and needs coaxing to turn back on. May not seem like much to you, but given the rep I heard about before buying. My overall opinion is conflicted. They're great laptops,but reliability hiccoughs make me question them. On the other hand, my gaming PC, built almost a year before getting the Mac, is pretty much solid (the first year was a nightmare though).No parts were replaced due to breakdowns and it's all working right, except Explorer sometimes messes up, doesn't take the computer down with it though
Reply 1
The Air is the most reliable apparently.

My Air 11 has been perfect. :wink:
Macbook's are the best thing since the Apollo program. :hand:
My MBP Mid '15 has been so reliable! This seems like an isolated issue. What were Apple's comments RE this? Sorry to hear about this :frown:
Original post by stefano865
The Air is the most reliable apparently.

My Air 11 has been perfect. :wink:

Yeah, I have an Air which I got in 2012 and I haven't had a single problem with it, apart from apps crashing at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iEthan
My MBP Mid '15 has been so reliable! This seems like an isolated issue. What were Apple's comments RE this? Sorry to hear about this :frown:

Today, using Safari, Safari started locking up and then eventually decided to reboot (Kernel Panic). I've contacted Apple several times, so it's near the point of vote of no confidence. As for any hardware issues, they need to recreate in an Apple store, which given the randomness of when stuff happens will be far impossible to do (Apple store in the past have said some of it's normal, but I changed it out anyway). The insulation on the Adaptor has shredded before so I had to replace that and during initial setup it locked up for half an hour, but I'd had three previous ones so I gave it BOTD.

I do remember something about my gaming PC though, the USB 3 header broke once with my new case, so I got a free case and board replacement, no hardware issues since. Reliability is high (apart from explorer which I already mentioned)
Reply 6
Original post by Edminzodo
Yeah, I have an Air which I got in 2012 and I haven't had a single problem with it, apart from apps crashing at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are great machines. :biggrin: :wink:

Well built.

I have heard the retina display on Macbook Pros sometimes causes problems.

I guess the more advanced something is, the more there is that can go wrong.
Original post by mine turtle
Mine was bought November 2014 (after multiple exchanges) and has had multiple kernel panics and inability to boot from sleep (it turns off at some point and needs coaxing to turn back on. May not seem like much to you, but given the rep I heard about before buying. My overall opinion is conflicted. They're great laptops,but reliability hiccoughs make me question them. On the other hand, my gaming PC, built almost a year before getting the Mac, is pretty much solid (the first year was a nightmare though).No parts were replaced due to breakdowns and it's all working right, except Explorer sometimes messes up, doesn't take the computer down with it though

Apple typically score very highly in reliability and user satisfaction studies, if you're having issues take into an Apple store to get it looked at. Your gaming desktop is presumably significantly more powerful than your Mac, and most likely takes advantage of the superior airflow and cooling desktops can leverage over laptops. It's not really a useful comparison to make.
I've had mine just under two years and it has never crashed. Never had any reliability issues at all (touch wood).

All my previous Windows laptops on the other hand were regular blue screeners and by two years old had always slowed to a crawl too.
Got a plastic unibody MacBook in 2008, it was slow but never had a major problem with it (that I didn't cause). Replaced it in 2012 with a 15" MBP and haven't had any problems with this one either! My dad has had a problem with all 6 of the laptops he's had in that span :tongue:
My Mac that I use for work is a ****ing piece of ****. I've spent 50 minutes this evening trying to recover it after it kernel panicked and restarted. Absolutely the worst machine I've ever used, and I once used a Time computer.

I cannot wait until September when I get my tech refresh and consign my Mac to being the world's most expensive SSH client.
Reply 11
My Mac has gotten about 1 kernel panic per year of operation. Certainly has fared a lot better than (*shudder*) Window 8. The free Win10 upgrade was a real blessing.
i love them i have six older ones that i bought from a friend in to fixing stuff like that
And...another kernel panic, in the middle of updaing Office so I can get some work due in three days done. Working on the PC, that's actually reliable (bar the odd bug caused by Windows 10 1511)

Whilst I remember I did have cheap cooling fans whose bearings failed.

Lesson learnt, don't buy Apple, build your own
MagSafe light also doesn't work sometimes
Had mine for over 4 years and its been fine.
I've had mine for a solid 4-5 years now with no real problems.
Original post by Mad Vlad
My Mac that I use for work is a ****ing piece of ****. I've spent 50 minutes this evening trying to recover it after it kernel panicked and restarted. Absolutely the worst machine I've ever used, and I once used a Time computer.

I cannot wait until September when I get my tech refresh and consign my Mac to being the world's most expensive SSH client.

Ahhh Time... they were crap, but at least they were cheap crap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4719833.stm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending