The Student Room Group

Going from irrelevant BA from to an MSc or similar?!

Hello all,
Does anyone know of a possible route I could take?
Here's my situation:
After leaving school I did a BA in Photography gaining a 2:1 grade. I'm now in my 30's and considering returning to study. However, in the 15 years since I wanted to be an artist I have become a keen natural historian with some relevant experience and would like to study a natural science for example zoology or botany. I have a good level of knowledge in these subjects but lack experience of scientific academia and research.
There is no financial support for people doing a second degree (that's not a complaint but it does remove that option from my list). Is there anything I could do to make myself eligible for an MSc that doesn't involve doing a second bachelors? For example I was considering completing a couple of OU modules in scientific research methods etc to prepare me for scientific post-grad study. (I looked at an OU MSc but unfortunately it's too generalised for what I want.) All the other MSc's I have looked at require a related BSc (which is understandable) but I wondered if there is any kind of bridging course for mature students and those wishing to change direction?
Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
You may want to email unis you're interested in doing your MSc at and see how they'd view your profile and what advice they have for you. OU modules are a good way to go either way because they will help you get back into academia and give you a foundation in the subject you're wanting to pursue.
Reply 2
In my mid 40s I was able to get onto, and do well in, a conservation MSc after a History degree, some history/politics postgrad study and 10+ years practising as a solicitor. As you suggested, I did a couple of maths/science OU modules (S104, M123 and M140 would be good) to show I was still capable of study and to get used to maths/science. Sadly OU modules are much more expensive now than they were then. I also had a fair amount of relevant volunteering experience. Once I was on the course I found that I had much more natural history interest/knowledge than most of my cohort.

As a specific example of a bridging course, UEA do a postgrad diploma in ecology that feeds into its Applied Ecology MSc

I agree that you should contact some unis/course leaders to see what they say.
Reply 3
Thanks Alleycat. You're right, I need to get in contact with course providers and test the waters.
Reply 4
Original post by Pariah
In my mid 40s I was able to get onto, and do well in, a conservation MSc after a History degree, some history/politics postgrad study and 10+ years practising as a solicitor. As you suggested, I did a couple of maths/science OU modules (S104, M123 and M140 would be good) to show I was still capable of study and to get used to maths/science. Sadly OU modules are much more expensive now than they were then. I also had a fair amount of relevant volunteering experience. Once I was on the course I found that I had much more natural history interest/knowledge than most of my cohort.

As a specific example of a bridging course, UEA do a postgrad diploma in ecology that feeds into its Applied Ecology MSc

I agree that you should contact some unis/course leaders to see what they say.

Hello Pariah, It's good to hear that other people have successfully made similar transitions. I was wondering about post grad certs and diplomas, the choice seemed more limited in terms of subject but if I can find a relevant one then it could well be an option.
I can well imagine that you were more knowledgeable/enthusiastic than many of your younger classmates. I really feel I was too immature and unsure of what I wanted when I went to uni at 18/19. Still, I hope to rectify that now! Can I ask if you are now working in conservation?
Thanks for your input.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Naturenerd
Hello Pariah, It's good to hear that other people have successfully made similar transitions. I was wondering about post grad certs and diplomas, the choice seemed more limited in terms of subject but if I can find a relevant one then it could well be an option.
I can well imagine that you were more knowledgeable/enthusiastic than many of your younger classmates. I really feel I was too immature and unsure of what I wanted when I went to uni at 18/19. Still, I hope to rectify that now! Can I ask if you are now working in conservation?
Thanks for your input.

yes, i am, although i am (partly by choice, partly because it was what i could get) doing seasonal work at the moment and additional OU study (maths/stats) the other six months of the year since i'd really like to go on to a PhD

getting in to paid conservation work is tough - much tougher than i thought it would be - especially if, like me, you aren't interested in consultancy. i'm sure that you've researched it, but be ready to have to volunteer for 6 - 18 months to build experience and make contacts, to do short term contracts and to move around. your mileage may vary, but that seems to be the normal experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending