The Student Room Group

are these unis good for IB?

hello!

can you rank please these unis in terms starting from the best for IB? I am talking about Mechanical Engineering BEng.

Lincoln
East London
Bournemouth
Portsmouth
London South Bank
Greenwich
Bradford
Hertfordshire
Strathclyde
Middlesex

thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
all targets
Reply 2
All meh unis
Reply 3
Are you saying that NONE with such degree can enter IB?
It would be very rare for it to occur yes
Reply 5
Original post by KTS89
all targets

indeed, they are all top targets. you should also try for london met, it's the top target recently.
None of those unis will really help you much, if at all. They can be classified as complete non-targets.

If you want to boost your chances, you're better off doing a masters degree at a target or at a top european business school. Other than that, you'll likely have to network aggressively if you want any sort of semblance of a chance from those universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
which are the top european business schools? any distance learning programme?
Reply 8
Original post by studos
which are the top european business schools? any distance learning programme?

Anything from the likes of INSEAD, IE, IESE, HEC Paris, ESADE, Bocconi, St. Gallen to name a few, will do. They are not for every pocket though, and I doubt they run any serious distance programmes.
Probably back office.
Reply 10
How do back office compare with law salaries?
Original post by studos

That is a bit of a career change?
Original post by studos

If you are saying that you are considering law straight after hearing you have an infinitesimally small chance of FO IB then that is sad. Also, educate yourself of a bank and its departments. It is clear that you know F*ck all about the finance sector

But to answer your question, I would say strathclyde - reasonably good business school so will have a strong link with accounting firms, you could then transfer to middle office IB/Buy side roles after a few years of accounting and gaining accounting qualifications (DIFFICULT)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I am not in either. I want to know how they compare.
I agree with tazza. You need to do alot more research into what career you really want to pursue. You are doing a mechanical engineering degree but you are considering law or IB and it seems like your decision entirely depends on which one pays the most, they are two completely different fields.

Go on to Google and do some independent research, find out what roles in IB, law or whatever that interests you. None of those universities will help you out in IB at all, even BO would be very difficult to get into. Unless you are an outstanding applicant that stands out from the typical oxbridge and target uni applicants you wont stand a chance to secure any internships.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I am not sure you know what you are talking about. I have seen inv bankers from Queen Mary uni, is that any better?
Original post by studos
hello!

can you rank please these unis in terms starting from the best for IB? I am talking about Mechanical Engineering BEng.

Lincoln
East London
Bournemouth
Portsmouth
London South Bank
Greenwich
Bradford
Hertfordshire
Strathclyde
Middlesex

thanks!

Most really really bad, Bournemouth, Strathclyde and Bradford maybe only very bad. You have about as much chance getting into IB without a degree as you do with an Engineering BEng from one of those unis. And why do you want to do a Mechanical Engineering degree if you want to go into IB?
Original post by studos
I am not sure you know what you are talking about. I have seen inv bankers from Queen Mary uni, is that any better?

In which area of IB? FO,MO,BO ? Obviously people from non-target universities do make it into IB but as everyone has said, it would be very very difficult unless you are an outstanding applicant with great experience and ECs that stands out from the rest.
Reply 18
Any in FO really, but ideally in markets.
It's not going to happen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending